Are we ramping up to war with North Korea?

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

We’re so old we remember when Democrats thought John Bolton and Donald Trump would start WWIII over North Korea.

You know, back last Monday.

I wonder if Lil' Kim and Trump will agree on both receiving an equal number of ice cream scoops at their summit. If they can't, WWIII is still a distinct possibility.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/18/2018 at 12:18 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

(Sorry, signed off early last night...)

Full disclosure: both my answers are admittedly speculative on my part. I feel they are backed by a lot of solid indicators and sources, but they're still speculations. With these particular ones there is a put-up-or-shut-up end date, which is nice because if I'm wrong (and I'm more than open to that possibility) it'll make for easy public mockery for the dungeon audience down here... :beer:  

1) Conventional wisdom and analysis agrees with the first part of this statement, no argument. As to the second part, you're in the ballpark of my thinking. There's an absolute benefit to "rogue states" for certain sectors of the global economy and various countries' geopolitical strategy. My general thesis for the past year+ has been that there is an ongoing civil war between various elements within the USIC which is bleeding through to most of the headlines we are seeing everyday.

The bare bones of it, for reductionist purposes, boils down to DIA vs CIA. Pentagon versus Langley. The goal is control of American foreign policy from behind the scenes (regardless of party in power, this group calls the shots). For the last seven decades, elements within the CIA have held that position. Sometime around 2014, elements within the Pentagon decided they had enough of it and went to work on a plan.

For decades the DPRK has been a boon to various bad elements, including this corrupt CIA element who held the reins for the past half-century plus both here at home and in the DPRK. Ending the Korean War, denuclearizing the North would be major accomplishments towards true global stability. It's only possible now because those corrupt elements have been shown the door (as I cover in the next section).  

2) It's not covered much anymore, but the protests in Iran are still ongoing. There's been a serious run on the banks, the people have been protesting and winning over both the military and security forces to their side. Add to this, the GCC has been waging an effective (and somewhat unprecedented) campaign against Hezbollah and Iran in multiple countries for the past three years - driving Hezbollah out of Lebanon, nearly completely out of Syria and Iraq while making a heavy dent in Yemen.

This GCC/Iranian battle in the region really picked up steam in November of '17, immediately after the KSA confiscated trillions in dirty money and detained dozens of the biggest terrorist backers in the world. The people detained in the KSA "purge" were the primary funders of both Sunni and Shia Islamist groups - they provided heavy financial support for both the Mullahs and (directly and by extension) Hezbollah. These detainees were also closely tied to the most corrupt elements of the USIC mentioned above as well as major western institutions like CitiBank, 20th Century Fox, Twitter, and more (Bandar Bush, bin Talal). 

Funny thing happened almost immediately after the KSA purge detained this group of puppet masters... the puppets began to lose. Badly. Major set backs for Iran occurred in November-December in Lebanon, in Syria, in Iraq. The GCC ratcheted up their war efforts on the ground, attaching small commando teams to other larger (and foreign) divisions. This was designed to give other Arab nations victories against Iran (and others) they can take home with them and will be useful for long term stability in the coming months post-Mullahs. Within in three months of the purge, Hezbollah was crumbling in Shia strongholds like Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq. 

Then, in January at the height of the Iranian protests, Trump's administration has pledged to support the Iranian people "at the appropriate time":

That "appropriate time" is fast approaching. The US is playing a very important role in the region and in the Iranian regime change which is ongoing. The first thing the US had to do was convince the Iranian people, and the region, that we wouldn't be making the same mistakes we made under 42 when he abandoned the Iraqi people who he incited to rise up against Saddam and left them to get slaughtered after we left. The region took note of that, and hasn't trusted us because of it for decades. So, for the first year of Trump's term the US has been in the region allowing the Iranian people to do it themselves, while serving as a deterrent to both China and Russia from trying to take a more proactive role in the struggle. The US is also supporting the GCC (and the protesters) with logistical support and communications - much of the January protests, for example, were really reconnaissance through protest (probing the IRRC and the weaknesses of the regime, testing and seeing how they react). 

US support won't be an invasion, it won't be a massive war to spark regime change - no, it's clear the plan is to let the GCC and Iranian people take the lead and be there with the hammer if needed with a limited strike package. Iran has a functioning (western) government that would remain in place if the Mullahs left tomorrow. There wouldn't be a vacuum of power or chaos within the government if this is handled without a full on invasion. Meaning, you could conceivably lose the Mullahs tomorrow and Iran wouldn't skip a beat in terms of its ability to function as a nation state. 

Now look at how the pieces on the board are arranged today: The DPRK denuclearizing hurts the Mullahs, the US efforts in Syria keeping Russia in check (killing 200+ mercenaries, the recent strikes which focused on Hezbollah in addition to the chemical warehouses) and Bolton being appointed as NSC with one mission: to shred the Iran deal (which only benefited the Mullahs, not the people and not us). Israel has been openly hitting Iranian targets in Syria for the past few days, and the GCC has been doing its thing on multiple fronts. All the while, the Mullahs have lost large chunks of Hezbollah controlled territory, lost control of the banks, lost control of their own military, and are now clinging to a fractured security force (Basij) and the IRRC (who are still formidable). 

All of this is to say the Iranian people don't need to be convinced to give up their religious leaders - they are trying to do it themselves, and have been doing it themselves. The difference between now and 2012 is we have a president who actually wants to help the Iranian people rather than help the Mullahs. The way things are going, the Mullahs won't last the year. 

:beer: 

I bolded and underlined your mistake.

Otherwise...

On 4/18/2018 at 10:20 AM, TakeYouToTasker said:

Greg is advancing the idea that DPRK has been, for the last 50 years or so, a CIA blacksite and a protected "playground for the global elite" where human rights abuses go completely unchecked and a global hub for human trafficking to those ends.  Think Epstein's pedo island on steroids.  The way to peace there has been paved by a series of military ops which have cleared out the CIA influence there.  This speaks to why Pompeo's CIA was handling the logistics there instead of State.

As to Iran and it's religious leaders:  the Iranian people don't bow to them.  They have been protected and propped up by the same bad actors within the CIA who had their hands all over NK.  The funding for Hezbollah and the Mullahs have been completely cut off by the Trump administration, and the Iranian people are ousting them with the support of the Iranian army.

K.  I get all of what you say.  All I see is, two former client states, stretching their wings to fly....

44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That number isn't a mistake. You're underestimating the value of the assets, land, and cash seized. 

And the illegal funding methods employed by a sizable handful of the detainees. 

What I see is the East rising, and the West in a furious and not-anytime-soon fall from dominance.  What I see is Russia and China building for the future, and lending aid and support to their strategic allies (i.e. Iran).

You want to advocate a certain transformative idea like "democracy is currently coming", and that's fine, because I get it, what you're doing, I do. 

And the number is a mistake.  Obviously.  Next time, slow down to the billions, it will make more sense.

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

What I see is the East rising, and the West in a furious and not-anytime-soon fall from dominance.  What I see is Russia and China building for the future, and lending aid and support to their strategic allies (i.e. Iran).

You want to advocate a certain transformative idea like "democracy is currently coming", and that's fine, because I get it, what you're doing, I do. 

And the number is a mistake.  Obviously.  Next time, slow down to the billions, it will make more sense.

:huh:

12 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Did Trump celebrate the news with hookers or two scoops of ice cream?

Two scoops of ice cream on hookers.

With Russian hookers too. 

So there is your collusion. Impeach the bastardo.

Edited by njbuff

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Heard on the radio this morning: if this goes through, there could be a Nobel Prize in it...

...for Obama, who initiated the sanctions four years ago that brought us to this point.  :lol:

Wow, since Obama left office, the economy is up, unemployment down, jobs are being created, ISIS was destroyed, NK may rid itself of its nuclear weapons, and we are getting better trade deals.

All thanks to his 8 summers of recovery, fantastic sanctions, and glorious post-presidency. Praise be Obama!

Kim Jong-un´s historic walk south: North Korean dictator becomes the first to cross into the South for 65 YEARS
Daily Mail (UK), by Rory Tingle

Original Article

Kim Jong-un has become the first North Korean leader to step into the South for 65 years as he met with President Moon Jae-in for a historic peace summit on Friday. The dictator crossed the 38th parallel and warmly shook hands with his sworn enemy before both men walked side-by-side to a welcome ceremony attended by flamboyantly-dressed South Korean soldiers.