Are we ramping up to war with North Korea?

Sure. They're talking. Big deal. The media is all over their recent A-Bomb tests and super-secret ICBM test flights over Japan, Wake, Hawaii, and San Francisco. There have been what - seven or eight A-Bomb tests just since March of this year, and 27 - if I count them correctly ICBMs fired at the US of A in that same time period. Trump's administration has done NOTHING to keep this country safe and out of war with the Great Leader of the struggling people's democracy North Korea. [#notmypresidentimuchpreferredminedrawingredlinesinhismindofsandcrowd]

11 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Of coursr.  There's always lower level talks to lay the groundwork for a summit.  Usually, everything's decided before the big kahunas talk.

Usually.  I wouldn't trust either of these impulsive bozos to change terms before the handshake is over.

Is NK serious or is this just going to be another example of Lucy holding the football?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kim-jong-un-plans-formal-nod-to-denuclearization-south-korea-says/ar-AAvYEtF?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

SEOUL, South Korea — Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s leader, plans to formally announce his willingness to denuclearize his country when he meets with President Moon Jae-in of South Korea this month, an official from the South said on Tuesday.

The statement is expected to be part of a joint declaration that the two leaders will adopt when they meet on April 27, said Mr. Moon’s chief of staff, Im Jong-seok. Negotiators from both Koreas have agreed on a rough framework for the joint declaration, he said.

They are still discussing other aspects of the joint statement, such as whether the two Koreas would commit to holding further summit meetings on a regular basis, Mr. Im said. South Korea is also trying to persuade North Korea that Mr. Moon and Mr. Kim should hold a joint news conference at the end of their meeting in Panmunjom, the so-called truce village on the inter-Korean border.

that's how they negotiate.... a lot of patience is required with all countries in Asia

leading off bowing and scraping and apologizing, like Carter and Obama, is the worst beta move possible with this type of diplomacy

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

that's how they negotiate.... a lot of patience is required with all countries in Asia

leading off bowing and scraping and apologizing, like Carter and Obama, is the worst beta move possible with this type of diplomacy

A Cheetos Samurai  Warrior might be just what the 医師 ordered.

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

A Cheetos Samurai  Warrior might be just what the 医師 ordered.

During the W admin, Rice and Powell were sent to China to negotiate, a major first for African-Americans in international diplomacy

unfortunately race riots broke out in Cincinnati at this time and took up all of the lazy media's attention

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

During the W admin, Rice and Powell were sent to China to negotiate, a major first for African-Americans in international diplomacy

unfortunately race riots broke out in Cincinnati at this time and took up all of the lazy media's attention

Rice and Powell aren't African-American.  They're Republican.

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Rice and Powell aren't African-American.  They're Republican.

My recent favourite is the Dallas Police Chief

men like that make me realize outside of CNN and Hollywood that things are in good hands

North Korea developed their nuclear program as a deterrent.  They want to do their own thing without interference.

There is no way in hell they will actually shoot off a nuke against any country.  Because they would be obliterated within the hour.  You don't think they know that?  They've insulated themselves from the West's attempts to coup d'etat for the last 60 years, and what, you think that's just stupid luck?

Of course not.  With an active nuclear program, it gives them the ability to negotiate the best possible relationships with whatever countries.

Not too difficult to understand.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

17 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

North Korea developed their nuclear program as a deterrent.  They want to do their own thing without interference.

There is no way in hell they will actually shoot off a nuke against any country.  Because they would be obliterated within the hour.  You don't think they know that?  They've insulated themselves from the West's attempts to coup d'etat for the last 60 years, and what, you think that's just stupid luck?

Of course not.  With an active nuclear program, it gives them the ability to negotiate the best possible relationships with whatever countries.

Not too difficult to understand.

And yet here they are, suddenly offering to denuclearize. 

It could be that North Korea had other reasons to avoid such deals ...

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This centers on China being convinced by Trump that they have no viable choice than to threaten NK with an economic blockade. NK knows that we could crush them and thinks that we just might do that if they continue with their nuclear program. OTOH they could be just !@#$ing with us as they have in the past.

51 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Well, here's the thing: Russia and China have been careful to not officially ally themselves with North Korea.  Because duh.  But both of those countries have a border with North Korea.  So obviously, that's a serious national security issue for both Russia and China, no matter what.

"If" North Korea is offering to denuclearize, it will probably be something like Iran: with serious economic/trade considerations that will enable them to engage in the world economy without sacrificising their way of life.

In other words: Russia and China are "vouching" for North Korea, because both of those countries have certain assurances/deals/understandings with North Korea which now allows North Korea to deal .  And we, as the US, can't ignore this because we certainly can't ignore anything Russia or China does.

That would be my hypothesis, anyway.  I have no illusion that it's the total truth, but I think it's a very reasonable theory.

6 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Well, here's the thing: Russia and China have been careful to not officially ally themselves with North Korea.  Because duh.  But both of those countries have a border with North Korea.  So obviously, that's a serious national security issue for both Russia and China, no matter what.

"If" North Korea is offering to denuclearize, it will probably be something like Iran: with serious economic/trade considerations that will enable them to engage in the world economy without sacrificising their way of life.

In other words: Russia and China are "vouching" for North Korea, because both of those countries have certain assurances/deals/understandings with North Korea which now allows North Korea to deal .  And we, as the US, can't ignore this because we certainly can't ignore anything Russia or China does.

That would be my hypothesis, anyway.  I have no illusion that it's the total truth, but I think it's a very reasonable theory.

I think that they would demand to sacrifice their way of life.