Lenny Silver, owner of Record Theater, passes

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/11/leonard-lenny-silver-founder-record-theatre/

I went to Hutch Tech and I can't tell you how often I would go the big Record Theater store on Main to browse their massive inventory. One summer I even got a job at the warehouse on Harlem Road.

Not only was Lenny a retailer he also was an independent record promoter to radio stations. Big labels would contract with guys like Lenny because he would cultivate close relationships with local radio programmers. If you had a single that had to get played in Buffalo, Lenny could do it.

Lenny also owned his own label, Amherst Records. His first big hit: "The Shaker Song" by Spyro Gyra. Oh the memories.

I went to Hutch Tech and I can't tell you how often I would go the big Record Theater store on Main to browse their massive inventory. One summer I even got a job at the warehouse on Harlem Road.

Not only was Lenny a retailer he also was an independent record promoter to radio stations. Big labels would contract with guys like Lenny because he would cultivate close relationships with local radio programmers. If you had a single that had to get played in Buffalo, Lenny could do it.

Lenny also owned his own label, Amherst Records. His first big hit: "The Shaker Song" by Spyro Gyra. Oh the memories.

Fascinating history. I temped there for a day or two during college in the mid-80s, and I bought a lot of records there. Thanks for posting.

Was your employment at the record retailer at the time when radio promoters were getting payola for playing records?

When I was growing up Hutch Tech was a top notch school. Is it still an elite school?

Edited by JohnC

Was your employment at the record retailer at the time when radio promoters were getting payola for playing records?

When I was growing up Hutch Tech was a top notch school. Is it still an elite school?

Elite? I wouldn't Call Tech that, though you had to take a test to get in.

As for payola it probably went on somewhere. But consider this. It's illegal to pay someone to play a record on the radio. It's not illegal to pay a doctor to prescribe one drug over another. What has more impact on people's lives?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I loved record theatre on Main Street. It was my go-to place at least once a week from the time that I got my driver's license through college. I didn't have to buy anything. It was good to browse the stacks.

I loved record theatre on Main Street. It was my go-to place at least once a week from the time that I got my driver's license through college. I didn't have to buy anything. It was good to browse the stacks.

When did it close? I was there last year. nice reasonablly priced vinyl. And they would deal big time on lots.

Lenny, was an interesting guy to put it lightly. Worked for him when we were kids. Moody would be

a good way too describe him.

When did it close? I was there last year. nice reasonablly priced vinyl. And they would deal big time on lots.

Lenny, was an interesting guy to put it lightly. Worked for him when we were kids. Moody would be

a good way too describe him.

I honestly don't know if it is open or closed. I haven't been that way in years. Next time I'm in town, I will get over there again.

Elite? I wouldn't Call Tech that, though you had to take a test to get in.

As for payola it probably went on somewhere. But consider this. It's illegal to pay someone to play a record on the radio. It's not illegal to pay a doctor to prescribe one drug over another. What has more impact on people's lives?

The doctor has the authority to put his finger up your pie hole. He should be able to receiver remuneration for such a ****ty task. :D

Fascinating history. I temped there for a day or two during college in the mid-80s, and I bought a lot of records there. Thanks for posting.

Well, I never worked for Record Theatre, but I did work for Cavages for about half a year between graduating college and my first engineering job. They were a trip.