Bills lose 3rd & 4th rd. draft picks in '18 due to stupidity

Estro

Not true. You have to have a net loss of UFA's for it to come into play. Losing Brady and signing an FB would net you max a 7th.

technically - if you're talking 1 to 1. I was oversimplifying. we had something like 24 UFAs. somebody's going to get signed. I'm not worried about it at all. Bird in the hand, man.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is serious but I'll bite. The comp picks aren't determined two days into FA. There are Bills UFAs who will be signing elsewhere yet didn't fit into the first wave and will factor into the formula. The comp picks aren't set for many months.

The Bills need to lose 3 more UFA's without signing another one & Jerome Felton doesn't qualify in this formula.....so they need to lose 3, not counting Jerome Felton & not sign another one in order to get the 3rd and 4th comp. picks for losing Gilmore and Woods, respectively. So, yes, things can change, as you pointed out, but the point is the Bills now have to now hold their breath that 3 or 4 of their UFA's get signed elsewhere.

The comp pick formula is not a simple formula - playing time, contract and honors all factor into it among other things. If you lose brady and sign a fullback, it doesn't affect your comp picks.

Also, who cares about '18 comp picks in spring '17. Not exactly a burning issue.

Your point is actually false. If the Pats lost Brady as a UFA and signed 1 UFA they would get nothing, even if the player they signed was a backup. You need to have a net loss to pick up comp. picks, so you're wrong on that one.

Who cares about draft picks? Yea who the hell cares about having additional ammo to get good players cheap? Who cares about having an additional 3rd and 4th round pick to package with a 1st round pick to go get a QB that can actually lead this team to the playoffs? Yea who the hell cares. It's fun watching a team that consistently wins 6-8 games and has no long term vision.

Look, I understand the homer fans and the fans that will defend the Bills no matter what, but the extent to which some of the fanbase just give the Bills a pass each and every year is pretty comical to me.

Edited by Estro

Really, the comp pick thing again? This is so stupid.

+1

God knows I'm getting tired of the incessant whining about f***ing comp picks. We had the most FA's of any team in the league with only 6 draft picks coming up. We have to sign players. It's pretty simple to figure out. Message board GM's, they know it all.

As long as the Bills don't have any $8mil/yr+ players left in FA that they want to sign, if I understand it right, pretty much all they need to do to get an extra 3rd and 4th pick next year is sign two less FAs than they lose. If McD is as detail oriented as everyone keeps saying I would expect to see the Bills keep comp picks in mind as part of their approach to FA this offseason. If the Bills end up losing the 3rd/4th they'll get for Woods/Gilmore to sign two players at the bottom of the roster in FA instead of using the draft / signing UDFAs, that would be disappointing. But it's too early to tell what is going to happen at this point, FA is only 3 days old and nobody knows how many FAs we are going to lose/gain so I think this thread is a little premature.

I don't understand why some posters are brushing off the importance of two free mid-round draft picks next year though. Stuff like this is just one of the things that separate us from teams like NE. (They got Gilmore, Cooks, Kony Ealy, & Dwayne Allen this off-season and right now are set to receive a 4th and 5th in compensatory picks next year anyway. That's not by accident, they take full advantage of every aspect of the system every year, and the Bills should too)

You are absolutely right. That was the point of my original post. It's not by accident that the Patriots will have 2 or 3 comp. picks + realy improve their roster while the Bills are in jeopardy of receiving none while losing a good handful of quality players. This stuff takes some common sense, some planning and then executing that plan, it's apparent to me the Bills do not understand compensatory picks.

So if you had an opportunity to improve the team for the upcoming season, you might not do that in the hopes of getting a pick in next years draft near the end of rounds 3-7, likely later rounds.

No. I would sign a backup OG that was either cut or post June 1 or better yet draft one, rather than have Vlad Ducasse cost me a 3rd rounder. Would you be okay if the signing of Vlad Ducasse costs us a 3rd round pick in next years draft? I'd be pretty pissed about that, as I think any Bills fan should be.

Let's just hope he doesn't make the team because I believe he might not count against us as an addition if he doesn't make the team. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.

While I generally agree with the OP that this should be a strategy to obtain more picks. I rant endlessly about trading down and the draft is nothing more than gambling.

But the OP could wait a few more days before going over the top. The Bills have lots of guys that can and will leave in FA. And the last two players signed are retained FA's.

Lastly, the cap moves are much more important than any comp picks in 2018. Whaley has freed up money to move down in the draft and get more picks for which cap space will be needed to sign. The cap space can be pushed to next year and used to extend Sammy.

That's a a fair point. My main point was to warn that the Bills are playing with fire though by risking losing 2 solid draft picks next year to sign a lot of depth type players. Like all Bills fan, I hope a few more of our UFA's sign elsewhere and we get the 3rd and 4th rd. picks, but that fate is now in other teams hands not ours, and that's risky.

You are absolutely right. That was the point of my original post. It's not by accident that the Patriots will have 2 or 3 comp. picks + realy improve their roster while the Bills are in jeopardy of receiving none while losing a good handful of quality players. This stuff takes some common sense, some planning and then executing that plan, it's apparent to me the Bills do not understand compensatory picks.

No. I would sign a backup OG that was either cut or post June 1 or better yet draft one, rather than have Vlad Ducasse cost me a 3rd rounder. Would you be okay if the signing of Vlad Ducasse costs us a 3rd round pick in next years draft? I'd be pretty pissed about that, as I think any Bills fan should be.

Let's just hope he doesn't make the team because I believe he might not count against us as an addition if he doesn't make the team. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.

That's a a fair point. My main point was to warn that the Bills are playing with fire though by risking losing 2 solid draft picks next year to sign a lot of depth type players. Like all Bills fan, I hope a few more of our UFA's sign elsewhere and we get the 3rd and 4th rd. picks, but that fate is now in other teams hands not ours, and that's risky.

Pretty bold, arrogant statement, are you are professional sports manager? If not shut the !@#$ up, it's tiring hearing all the arm chair GMs who make such absurd statements. The whole organization doesn't understand it but you do.

If they didn't sign anyone people would complain they aren't doing anything, now they are complaining they are doing something...Christ I feel like I'm in the middle of a conversation between two teens.

How dare Whaley try to sign guys who can help the team. Doesn't he know we're trying to win the draft Superbowl?

You have to keep this in mind: chances of the Bills making the playoffs aren't real great in 2017. But for Whaley, it's his job. I can't see him coming back if this team doesn't make the playoffs. So if you're Whaley, the future is now. Damn 2018. We'll worry about that in January. By the way, competent, incompetent, or in between, this is why Whaley needed to be fired alongside Rex. This club needs someone with a longer time horizon.

Do you wish you never started this thread? I know I'd have regret.

Why would anyone question the competency of such a successful organization?

Sure, a couple years in. How could they not win the SB if they're trying? Brady? He's a chump!

Or we can hope that he makes a significant contribution to the team when he is called on.

First- doubt he would be worth a 3rd , Second- what if the team feels he can help the team this season, would getting a solid backup guard worth a 5th round pick- which is more in line with any comp pick he would might garner. What difference does it make if you get a player as a FA as opposed to a draft pick. A player is a player.

If the Bills don't get picks for Gilmore and Woods then yes, they did it wrong. Obviously it is too early to tell. 3rd and 4th round picks are valuable and also tradable now, so pretending it doesn't matter is naive. I don't know the numbers but I don't recall the Bills getting very many of them in the last 5 years. I sense that this subject has been kicked around here before.