Today I Learned....PartII

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

everything on TV has always been scripted, they can't afford to risk nothing happening, the usual result without it scripted

one writer's mother back in the day wouldn't talk to him for a year when he told her he wrote every word that Kitty Carlisle's pretended was witty ad hoc stuff on What's My Line way way back, and nothing has changed since then

I've seen them live.  They're prepared, but it's not scripted.

And when they tape the TV show, they're pulling about 90 minutes of material for three shows out of a 3-hour performance.  They can risk nothing happening, because it's not live - they throw out a lot, and they have a director and censor providing constraints.  It's not scripted, it truly is ad-libbed...but the context of the ad-libbing is much narrower than people realize.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

c'mon... that's like the kid who filled out a Popsicle Pete contest wrapper with a fake name and address in 1958 and 10 years later the FBI and Draft Board were at the house looking for him for Nam...

20 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I've seen them live.  They're prepared, but it's not scripted.

And when they tape the TV show, they're pulling about 90 minutes of material for three shows out of a 3-hour performance.  They can risk nothing happening, because it's not live - they throw out a lot, and they have a director and censor providing constraints.  It's not scripted, it truly is ad-libbed...but the context of the ad-libbing is much narrower than people realize.

Like how Saturday Night Live does a two hour rehearsal before the show with a different audience, to see what jokes/skits work and what doesn't, for the later live show that night. 

On 2/23/2018 at 8:52 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

In college they were going pay phone (remember those items?) to pay phone replacing plates and raising the rates on phones at same time.  I figured out how plate was connected, removed new one and placed it on old phone putting the old phone plate on new one.  I had a cheap pay phone as long as I was in college.

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Like how Saturday Night Live does a two hour rehearsal before the show with a different audience, to see what jokes/skits work and what doesn't, for the later live show that night. 

They edit and remove goofs for the west coast and reruns 

Ms Jones frequently biffs her lines on the live shows even after years on SNL and they edit for her