Today I Learned....PartII

TIL That there is a thing called the "Tide Pod Challenge" and kids are eating (?) laundry detergent to impress their friends, or something like that.

I then thought this is not good when you consider India and China are much larger countries, and their youth do things like work, study, do homework, and then work some more.  

I then thought this country is doomed. 

These latter two thoughts were not new nor did I learn them today.

TIL or more accurately, became aware of, my lack of learning over the last 7 Days.   Is some one on vacation? Did they shut down the Canadian internet?

I'm old but I still appreciate the education.

Thank You,

Greybeard  (not Gray Beard)

• Like (+1) 1

TIL from November 1963 Until January 1965, there was no Vice President of the United States.   He was the last President to have to wait for an election to fill the office. 

Lyndon Johnson did not have a 25th amendment to benefit from and there was then no procedure to make a person Vice President absent a Presidential election where the person would be elected.  (the 25th would be ratified in 1965).

On 1/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

TIL $440 million Navy warship stuck in ice since Christmas Eve

The USS Little Rock became trapped by ice near Montreal a week after it was commissioned, and has been unable to move due to 'unusually heavy ice conditions.'

Those pesky Canadians are up to no good 

Where they "really" "stuck"... Of course now they really may be OR do they just don't want to move it and scratch the paint or cause a mechanical issue.

Shipping here can be the same way.  During heavy ice, usually southern companies send their boats north.  Bigger powered boats and barges on delivery to keep the lanes open.  Through the years, companies are getting more reluctant to run. They will sit and wait till somebody else clears a trail.  Things get worse when everybody is just sitting waiting for the next guy to lead.  Like this current BFLo Sabres team "on steroids"...

Nobody wants to lay their men and machines on the line anymore.  Different than the "self-help" attitude of the old days.

In 2014... One of the Louisiana companies was saying the lock was closed, trying to pin why they weren't moving on the gov't.  We were open and river never closes.  They just didn't want to bust ice... Lay their machine on the line keeping the channel open.  It's a very slow go in the ice. They can blame it on the weather, the gov't, Global Warming/Climate Change, safety, insurance companies, etc... No risk to them and machines, using fuel.

In a very brutal 1994... The river was iced worse than 2014... Kept open.  Towing outfits were self-helping... Which means using their fuel and manpower, taking risk with their men & machines... To keep the lanes open for all to do business.

In short: Entities don't try anymore.  Don't take the risk.  Pass the buck on.  They'd rather shut operations down.

Not saying that is what the Navy is doing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the reasoning with shutting down their shiny new war ship.  Like the Washington Senators shutting down Strasburg before a playoff push a few years back. 

Overly cautious I see in today's shipping business.  Maybe it is right?  God giveth the ice, God taketh a short time later.  What's the rush to get to Jacksonville?  Shut it down, don't scratch the paint or damage a mechanical system.  If that was an older warship, I kinda wonder if it ran the ice?  Or, if it needed to be in a specific war theatre... Of course it gets the hell out (with help) of course.  But, calling it "stuck" @ this stage of winter game was ridiculous.  But, they made the choice, they stay hunkered down, ice accumulating, not abating at this stage.  They are in Montreal... All they had to do was reach Gaspe... Only 500 miles.  They could have had help.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois