Edgerrin James, a Dolphin?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...11018136.htm?1c

Dolphins to get shot at E. James

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

Running back Edgerrin James is the Colts' franchise player, but that doesn't mean he won't be on the free agent market when it opens Wednesday.

James this week hired local agent Drew Rosenhaus, and the agent said Monday he will be actively trying to get James a multiyear offer from several teams, including Miami.

''I will be calling several teams about Edgerrin, including the Dolphins,'' Rosenhaus said.

Moving James from Indianapolis is a daunting task. Any team signing him to a contract would have to compensate the Colts with two first-round draft picks. The only way the price for James would be less is if the Colts agree to take a lower compensation.

Last week during the annual NFL scouting combine, Colts coach Tony Dungy and president Bill Polian made it clear they want James to return.

Miami needs a star running back such as James, but the team seems unlikely to be a high-priced shopper when free agency opens. The Dolphins will have to make a handful of roster moves or restructure several contracts today to get under the $85.5 million salary cap.

Ah, the legend continues, another one player fix.

James didnt impress me his last few games with the ponies. He was very tentative into the hole.

So to speak.

Ah, the legend continues, another one player fix.

James didnt impress me his last few games with the ponies.  He was very tentative into the hole.

So to speak.

256850[/snapback]

2 first round picks would be a great deal for the Colts. With that passing game, there are a lot of RBs that could be successful in Indy and they could have some extra money to spend on the defense. I think they are hoping someone will take him.

2 first round picks would be a great deal for the Colts.  With that passing game, there are a lot of RBs that could be successful in Indy and they could have some extra money to spend on the defense.  I think they are hoping someone will take him.

256875[/snapback]

Yeah, but how can the Dolphins afford to give up 2 first rounders? They don't even have a first rounder until next year, do they?

CW

Yeah, but how can the Dolphins afford to give up 2 first rounders?  They don't even have a first rounder until next year, do they?

CW

256878[/snapback]

They have the #2 pick in this years draft. I don't think they would have to give up 2 #1s, they could probably get James with this years #2 pick and a provisional for the 2006 draft.

I don't think it's that crazy of a move if they:

* don't like who's available at #2 this year for what it'll cost them &

* can't find anyone to trade down &

* if they really believe than last year was an aberration & that they're close to turning it around.

I'd definitely consider such a move if the franchised player was a true difference-maker,

but I just don't think Edge is worth it.

They have the #2 pick in this years draft. I don't think they would have to give up 2 #1s, they could probably get James with this years #2 pick and a provisional for the 2006 draft.

256900[/snapback]

Now that Fiedler was cut, is Freeley their only qb?

I dont think they will want James. Mark me as one who thinks that if Miami can find the cap room, they deal for either Rivers or Brees.

How can SD carry that much cap space at qb?

If Miami were wise, they would consider developing an NFL caliber offensive line before they entertain more pipe dreams (no pun intended  :D ) of all star running backs.

257051[/snapback]

True, but their stadium was a ghost town last year. I don't know if the empty seats were from season ticket holders who didn't bother, though. But if the club gets a cut from parking and concession money, they took a beating. So a "marquee" player to get the crowd back could make sense.

True, but their stadium was a ghost town last year. I don't know if the empty seats were from season ticket holders who didn't bother, though. But if the club gets a cut from parking and concession money, they took a beating. So a "marquee" player to get the crowd back could make sense.

257073[/snapback]

That's very "big picture" of you. :D

That's very "big picture" of you.  :D

257084[/snapback]

That really was an astute post, wasn't it?!

This is why I think that Brees or Rivers will be a phish this season. It would serve to stir the fan base. Is it a wise move? I am the wrong guy to ask.

My feeling is that nothing comes before blocking, and imo, the lack of thereof was exactly what held the Bills back in the late 90s. :P

That really was an astute post, wasn't it?!

This is why I think that Brees or Rivers will be a phish this season. It would serve to stir the fan base. Is it a wise move? I am the wrong guy to ask.

My feeling is that nothing comes before blocking, and imo, the lack of thereof was exactly what held the Bills back in the late 90s.  :P

257171[/snapback]

Agreed, along with an issue or 2 at QB at the time.... :D

Agreed, along with an issue or 2 at QB at the time....  :D

257224[/snapback]

No doubt, but Flutie was a freak. He literally THRIVED on broken plays. RJ of course did not. :P

Ultimately, those teams had a tough time running the football and paid the price. They were very good defensively, although injuries wiped out the secondary, but they failed at the other fundamental of football..... blocking other human beings.

I respect the legacy of Mr. Butler as a man who could see talent a mile away, but for some reason, he neglected the OL.

Yeah, but how can the Dolphins afford to give up 2 first rounders?  They don't even have a first rounder until next year, do they?

CW

256878[/snapback]

they can give up a top flight corner, like Pat Surtain, instead

256900[/snapback]

if i was indy i'd take the #2 straight up for EJ and send us their 2nd rounder for TH

they can give up a top flight corner, like Pat Surtain, instead

257416[/snapback]

I would rather face a stinkin' fish team with EJ and without Surtain, than a team with another running back and with Surtain.

Uh, that means I would like to see Surtain leave Miami.