Convention Topic IB

Most people liked the idea of the direct democracy, which surprised me, but I think Gavin summed it up well when he said (paraphrasing), "I know the current system is FUBAR. A new one can't help but be better."

Anyway, having given the power of the legislature more directly to the people, how do we arrange other branches of government? Is an executive necessary? And if so, what powers does the executive have? And how about judiciary? Do they maintain the same check on the legislative branch that they have now? Still appointed by the president?

I favor an executive who is a head of state, with limited war time/crisis powers that are as answerable to the people as the legislature is in our direct democracy system. If the pres decides to go to war and the people oppose it, tough.

I favor an executive who is a head of state, with limited war time/crisis powers that are as answerable to the people as the legislature is in our direct democracy system. If the pres decides to go to war and the people oppose it, tough.

256626[/snapback]

Works for me. I also think we need a judiciary. It will be another check and balance to the legislature.

Works for me. I also think we need a judiciary. It will be another check and balance to the legislature.

256638[/snapback]

We don't nee a legislature, just an elected head of state with limited powers and a judiciary appointed directly by the people.

We don't nee a legislature, just an elected head of state with limited powers and a judiciary appointed directly by the people.

256700[/snapback]

Who writes the legislation? I don't care how good of a constitution you have, there will always be tweeks needed.

Who writes the legislation? I don't care how good of a constitution you have, there will always be tweeks needed.

256729[/snapback]

I'll do it. Of course, each will contain a rider that says something to the effect of "People who piss me off will be terminated without prejudice." :rolleyes:

Instead of an executive and a legislature, I'd scrap both and go with a ruling council. Set term limits at 10 years, and make it illegal for any members of the council to profit from their office. They could get a stipend for the rest of their lives and be exempt from taxes, something like that...but you need to remove the incentive for those who only wish to serve to get rich.

I'll do it.  Of course, each will contain a rider that says something to the effect of "People who piss me off will be terminated without prejudice."  :rolleyes:

256790[/snapback]

Let me guess, your vote for the "Type of Government" was Authoritarian, right? :)

Instead of an executive and a legislature, I'd scrap both and go with a ruling council. Set term limits at 10 years, and make it illegal for any members of the council to profit from their office. They could get a stipend for the rest of their lives and be exempt from taxes, something like that...but you need to remove the incentive for those who only wish to serve to get rich.

256799[/snapback]

So is the "check" on this the legislature (And the people)?

To the others, would you agree that the president should have more limited powers than he currently has? I would make him be the head of state (diplomacy). Give him the ability to negotiate treaties that must ultimately get approval in the legislative branch (this is touchy because it undermines the pres. authority, but tough)? And what role would the judiciary have? Similar to what it is now- enforcement of the Constitution and federal laws?

So is the "check" on this the legislature (And the people)?

To the others, would you agree that the president should have more limited powers than he currently has? I would make him be the head of state (diplomacy). Give him the ability to negotiate treaties that must ultimately get approval in the legislative branch (this is touchy because it undermines the pres. authority, but tough)? And what role would the judiciary have? Similar to what it is now- enforcement of the Constitution and federal laws?

256989[/snapback]

The judiciary is for exactly what you mentioned - enforcement.