NYPD Blue - Tonights the final episode

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he was great at interrogating people.  Later on, he started doing less of that because he was mentoring Sorenson and Clark and Baldwin became the squad's interrogator.  He's very good in that role, too.

256685[/snapback]

Have to disagree about the actor playing Baldwin. He's just ok as an actor. Not even in the same league as Franz.

There's been some great acting in the roles of Russell, Kirkendall, Connie, Andy, Danny, Bobby, Lt Fancy, and even Greg. Nothing special from Ortiz, Murphy, Jones, and a few others. Just my opinion. Some of the greatest acting jobs have been by the actors playing perps.

Interesting how many actors played multiple roles. Charlotte Ross, played a hooker several years ago, came back as abusive cop's wife Lori Richardson in a different story line. and later in a permanent role as Det. Connie McDowell. She's a very good actress and isn't too hard on the eyes. Mos Def played a couple of different characters.

I may be in the minority on this one....I loved the shows with Jimmy Smits, but I actually think it was just slightly better with the Danny Sorensen character. Like Dianne, he'd been fighting and was tormented by demons since childhood. He found a kindred spirit in Diane, became obsessed with her, and it indirectly led to him getting caught up in a situation that caused his demise.

No other shows has had such intense character portrayals.

It was dark, and often funny as well. The quality has been lacking with Diane and Danny "in the wind". At least the build up between Connie and Andy kept it entertaining up to this year, but this season has been dull in comparison to past years.

Best drama show ever in my estimation. Actually the only current dramatic network show I watch regularly. That my 2 cents on NYPD Blue.

Have to disagree about the actor playing Baldwin. He's just ok as an actor. Not even in the same league as Franz.

There's been some great acting in the roles of Russell, Kirkendall, Connie, Andy, Danny, Bobby, Lt Fancy, and even Greg.  Nothing special from Ortiz, Murphy, Jones, and a few others. Just my opinion. Some of the greatest acting jobs have been by the actors playing perps.

Interesting how many actors played multiple roles. Charlotte Ross, played a hooker several years ago, came back as abusive cop's wife Lori Richardson in a different story line. and later in a permanent role as Det. Connie McDowell. She's a very good actress and isn't too hard on the eyes. Mos Def played a couple of different characters.

I may be in the minority on this one....I loved the shows with Jimmy Smits, but I actually think it was just slightly better with the Danny Sorensen character. Like Dianne, he'd been fighting and was tormented by demons since childhood. He found a kindred spirit in Diane, became obsessed with her, and it indirectly led to him getting caught up in a situation that caused his demise.

No other shows has had such intense character portrayals.

It was dark, and often funny as well. The quality has been lacking with Diane and Danny "in the wind". At least the build up between Connie and Andy kept it entertaining up to this year, but this season has been dull in comparison to past years.

Best drama show ever in my estimation. Actually the only current dramatic network show I watch regularly. That my 2 cents on NYPD Blue.

256784[/snapback]

Who said Henry Simmons was "in the same league" with Dennis Franz???? All I said was that in the interrogations, he's good. He's very intimidating and can get what they need out of a suspect. I made no mention of him being, as an actor, on par with Franz. That would be incorrect.

I liked the tormented Sorenson too, but didn't like how they left things unersolved with him. I attribute a lot of that to head writer David Milch leaving the show and the other writers 'losing their way' for a while.

Charlotte Ross was very good on the show, and it sucks not having her on there. The problem was with her marrying Andy and becoming a mother, they'd painted her character into a corner that would've been difficult to come out of.

I do agree that it is a great drama, but not the best ever. It's not even Bochco's best ever, as that distinction has to go to my all-time favorite TV show, the one that laid the groundwork for many shows that followed (including Blue): Hill Street Blues. It redefined TV dramas.

My guess is the episode will end with Sipowitz taking care of the fish.  He always said taking care of the squad was like taking care of the fish.

If you haven't seen it, give Monk on USA at 10pm Fridays a try.  He's like Columbo with OCD.

256763[/snapback]

Monk is a great show but it's more of a comedy than anything else.

The Shield is the best cop show on TV right now and basically has been since it debuted in 2001. Fans of NYPD Blue should give it a shot when its fourth season premieres two weeks from today (or rent the DVDs before then).

The Shield is the best cop show on TV right now and basically has been since it debuted in 2001.  Fans of NYPD Blue should give it a shot when its fourth season premieres two weeks from today (or rent the DVDs before then).

256836[/snapback]

If people are looking for a replacement to NYPD Blue, I suggest "Third Watch."

The Shield is the best cop show on TV right now and basically has been since it debuted in 2001.  Fans of NYPD Blue should give it a shot when its fourth season premieres two weeks from today (or rent the DVDs before then).

256836[/snapback]

The Shield is a very good show! I have season one on DVD and plan to get the other 2 as well (videotaped seasons 2 and 3).

Who said Henry Simmons was "in the same league" with Dennis Franz???? All I said was that in the interrogations, he's good. He's very intimidating and can get what they need out of a suspect. I made no mention of him being, as an actor, on par with Franz. That would be incorrect.

He just seemed kind of "wooden" to me. Just my opinion.

Anyways...

Wasn't writer David Milch from Buffalo? Believe he's had an ongoing battle with heroin. Probably got a lot of his inspiration for troubled characters and situations from experiences surrounding his addiction. Maybe that helped give the show some of it's edgy darkness. Blue was at it's best when exploring the inner complexeties of the main characters' personalities.

You can frequently see a white Buffalo Bills mug on the desk used by Danny and then Clark. Guessing Milch had something to do with it. Didn't Bochco have some Buffalo connection too? Seems that on Hill Street there were a lot of street names unique to Buffalo used on the show, like Scajaquada.

My wife tivo's and tapes the Dog, the Bounty Hunter series on A&E, in the event that I ever do "cross" and begin watching them.  I'm tempted, as I've seen a show about him before and it was good, but it would mean crossing the line.

256608[/snapback]

That show is great. I watch it every week. It's very entertaining. It's like COPS with a little more pizaz.

My wife calls it "the Osbournes w/handcuffs".

256920[/snapback]

That's actually what I would compare it too except that Dog isn't a blundering fool. The show is excellent. I watched for several hours straight the other night when they had a marathon on. I love it.

There's always been rumors surrounding Hill Street and the references (or perceived references) to Buffalo.  Actually, the scenes of the precinct were shot in Chicago.

256918[/snapback]

You know the dude that sits opposite Andy? I can never remember his name...the kid from Head of the Class. He has a Bills mug on his desk. I thought I saw it a couple of times, but TIVO helped me prove my case. I believe the producer, director, whatever is from Buffalo.

You know the dude that sits opposite Andy? I can never remember his name...the kid from Head of the Class. He has a Bills mug on his desk. I thought I saw it a couple of times, but TIVO helped me prove my case. I believe the producer, director, whatever is from Buffalo.

256944[/snapback]

Yes. David Milch, who was the head writer, is from Buffalo. He now is the creator/executive producer for the HBO series Deadwood, which is pretty good.

Anthony Yerkovich is from Buffalo and was one of the lead writers on Hill Street Blues, which is why it had so many Buffalo names thrown in. He went on to create Miami Vice. Milch is also from Buffalo.

I am so sad to see NYPD leaving. I do believe that it was the greatest drama of all time because of it's longevity and sustained excellence. It started to jump the shark at some point (I think it was near the end of Smits, because I remember thinking Shroeder shocked me how good he was and how much energy he pumped into it), but then it jumped back and has been excellent ever since. I always tape it and it's the only show where after almost every one, I say "That is so good."

I think I liked St. Elsewhere just a little better, but it was short lived compared to NYPD. Hill Street and LA Law were the only others that are in the same ballpark, in my opinion.

I really wish they kept NYPD going for as long as Dennis Franz remained. It can survive any cast change except for him.

It's probably time for the show to go - because it doesn't suck. It has occasionally lagged over the years, but never for more than a few episodes before it gets back on track. I'd hate to see it tarnish the legacy they worked so hard to attain.

I'm going to miss it. Dennis Franz is an amazing actor - proof of which occurs everytime he's interviewed and he's NOTHING like the characters he portrays.

256944[/snapback]

That's cool. I thought i was imagining that i saw a Bills mug on his desk a couple times?!?

I liked the tormented Sorenson too, but didn't like how they left things unersolved with him.  I attribute a lot of that to head writer David Milch leaving the show and the other writers 'losing their way' for a while. 

256794[/snapback]

There were so many great scenes and lines... but Sorenson's character had one of my favorite lines when he reffered to Andy as a "watchmaker".

It's been an impressive run for the most part, typically credited to their attention to acting ability and script development. While I'm a fan of both of those dynamics, what strikes me that the intangible with the most influence though is Bochco's own struggle between his socio-political leanings versus his desire to offer some understanding of a profession that's so contradictory to the same. That internal fight to me shows up in almost every episode and it's what IMO establishes his historical superiority in the 60 minute format on the small screen.

I thought the episode was pretty good, but disappointing for a final episode. But that may be the way they wanted it to feel. I felt after it was over that I really wanted to see more episodes. Do you understand what I'm saying?

The two new guys, at first I thought they were really out of their element, but by the end of the show they started to fit in. Not very well, but they were.

And the 1 hour recap show before, it could have easily been two hours in my opinion.

And I was surprised to find out that Season 7 was basically written as they shot the episodes.