Tonight's Trump "Joint Address"

B-Man

Trump's appeal to middle America in two deceptively simple sentences.

"The time for small thinking is over.

The time for trivial fights is behind us."

President Trump: "My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the United States of America."

http://abcn.ws/2lUdz4t

Edited by B-Man

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A speech for his 44% who support him. Nothing has changed.

Thankfully.

Pasta, you were gonna hate it no matter what, and everyone here knows it.

What I saw was fine (I hate these things anyway), but the VOICE program he mentioned was a bit much.

C5zVhX0VMAAcer8.jpg

The dems continue to try and connect with America's youth..............lol

I thought that same thing... lol... I'm actually watching it, I think his response is quite eloquent- I just wish it were live.

Trump's appeal to middle America in two deceptively simple sentences.

"The time for small thinking is over.

The time for trivial fights is behind us."

The irony, from a person who tweets on the most trivial things every week.

Pres. Trump: "We will stop the drugs from pouring into our country and poisoning our youth."

http://abcn.ws/2lUdz4t

I heard him say this at his pep rally too. This is one of the most ridiculous things Trump says. Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama have all tried and failed miserably trying to execute this fool's errand.

It is good for police, police equipment vendors, AWACs airplane builders, prison construction companies, and private prisons though.

I heard him say this at his pep rally too. This is one of the most ridiculous things Trump says. Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama have all tried and failed miserably trying to execute this fool's errand.

It is good for police, police equipment vendors, AWACs airplane builders, prison construction companies, and private prisons though.

Unionized prison guards, private for profit prisons love the faux war on drugs.

Great. Only way that works is if insurance regulation becomes a federal program, and is stripped from the states' responsibility.

By the people who scream about states' rights, no less.

Yes, it's tough but the large carriers who already have a footprint in most or all states will figure out it they have an advantage. Right now with the number of carriers on the decline, we've got a fedex/ups model where both companies raise rates in lockstep with each other. We've go to get more competition in health insurance.

He should read and tweet from a script for 3 years, 11 months.

There are many meaty parts that Democrats can get behind, the speech was quite good. He needs scripts more often, he is much easier to digest on script.

Coincinctislly, I think his most rabid followers may dislike this speech...

Nothing else from DC Tom... then I remembered he probably took out his teeth, drank a glass of warm Milk and went to sleep an hour ago.

I was busy reading a book.

I don't actually watch this bull **** theater. It's easier and quicker to read the speech tomorrow.

Yeah he reached badly on the drugs topic.

Trump Speech to Joint Session of Congress

by Professor William Jacobson

I’ll leave the details and the policy prescriptions to others. Here’s my quick reaction.

Donald Trump’s speech to a Joint Session of Congress tonight was enormously impressive and potentially game changing.

In big terms, he was both presidential and pugnacious. He started by talking about more work to be done on civil rights, and condemned recent acts of anti-Semitism and hate. While it will not satisfy those who hate him, it set a tone and deflated the attacks on the speech you know already had been written. Bringing victims of crime by illegal immigrants and introducing them was powerful. And introducing the widow of fallen Navy Seal Ryan Owens was the most emotional moment I’ve ever seen in such a speech.

There were many other points made, some of which would appeal to Democrats, but overall he stuck to what he promised during the campaign.

The word that keeps coming back to me is “defanged.”

Given the size of the audience, Trump defanged the deranged, irrational concept of “resistence.” That’s not to say Democrats won’t keep obstructing, but after this speech they do so at great risk.

If he truly thinks that, he doesn't understand the Democrats' concept of "resistance."

Well sir, I agree with you that the majority of hard left democrats will be unmoved, but I think Prof. Jacobson was referring more to the audience of average Americans.

Still a reach I suppose, but its going to be harder for the endless drumbeat of the media and the Elite portraying Trump as Hitler to convince people if he can keep his blowhard side controlled.

Those who watched the speech have to ask themselves whether they believe the media or their own eyes and ears.

DONALD TRUMP “NORMALIZES” HIMSELF

We’ve heard plenty of talk from Democrats, “never-Trumpers,” and some in the mainstream media about how they cannot allow Donald Trump to be “normalized.” Much of the media coverage of Trump’s first month in office should be understood as an attempt to prevent such normalization.

President Trump has assisted their efforts by not behaving like a normal president. I have in mind his tweeting, his transparently thin skin, and his occasional nastiness.

In tonight’s address to the joint sessions of Congress, however, Trump was a fully normal president. The speech began on a gracious note by recognizing Black History Month and denouncing prejudice as manifested in attacks on Jewish institutions. It ended with similar grace — an appeal for unity and a recognition of our commonality as Americans.

In between, there were repeated calls for solving problems together. And although Trump criticized his predecessor, the speech was devoid of personal attacks, threats, cheap shots, and nastiness.

To read and listen to the mainstream media, you would think that the Trump administration can’t get out of its own way. Trump countered that narrative by listing his administration’s accomplishments in the first month.

More importantly, he did not look like a president who has been knocked off his stride or has lost his way. On the big issues like immigration and health care, he articulated with clarity the principles that will guide his policies. They are principles that I think have wide support (whether his actual policies, once unveiled, will be popular and effective remains to be seen)

More at the link:

Edited by B-Man

"I am greatly honored to have Maureen Scalia with us in the gallery tonight." #TrumpAddress

Standing O for Mrs Scalia

Unless I'm mistaken, Kagan & Sotomayor were sitting when the cameras zoomed in. If that's the case, pretty low class by the two.

Well sir, I agree with you that the majority of hard left democrats will be unmoved, but I think Prof. Jacobson was referring more to the audience of average Americans.

Still a reach I suppose, but its going to be harder for the endless drumbeat of the media and the Elite portraying Trump as Hitler to convince people if he can keep his blowhard side controlled.

You know who else tried to convince people he wasn't Hitler by keeping his blowhard side controlled?

Unless I'm mistaken, Kagan & Sotomayor were sitting when the cameras zoomed in. If that's the case, pretty low class by the two.

It's okay, they're liberals. They self-identify as high-class, so they can stay seated.