Unintended Leak of Tyrod's Future??

theesir

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn on this because TT is one of the most fun qb's to watch in the league, and we ranked in the top half of the league in points.

Great leader, seems very level headed and calm under pressure, works hard, gives 100%, showed improved ability to avoid the big hits last year, nice touch on the long ball.

He started to show a little progress toward the end of the season in setting his feet more and keeping his eyes downfield for an extra second before scrambling last year, and if he stays I think that will be the reason why--because McDermott sees a guy that is still improving, has great instincts and is probably one of the top 10 pure athletes in the game.

The major issue is field vision. The bills receivers and TE's were open more than they get credit for last year. In reviewing the All 22 it's hard to give Tyrod more than a C- for finding the open man at the right time. Sanjay Lal alluded to this on a Murph interview once, and the film seems to support this.

So our new OC Dennison is known for a QB friendly system which would likely move TT under center, with a lot less shotgun/pistol stuff. He will probably push for a simplified passing system, and bigger, durable WR's that are easier to see than guys like Goody. That's why I think Corey Davis is our guy in the 1st round, the best WR in the nation with Julio Jones type potential.

I'd feel OK with Trubisky at 10 or maybe Mahomes on a trade down, but I think 2018 is the year to take a QB for us.

Most other teams kickers are NOT automatic. Simple stat check shows that.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/leaders.htm#

Field Goal %
1. Kai Forbath • MIN 100.000%
2. Justin Tucker • BAL 97.436%
3. Matt Bryant • ATL 91.892%
4. Josh Brown • NYG 91.667%
Ryan Succop • TEN 91.667%
6. Steven Hauschka • SEA 89.189%
7. Cairo Santos • KAN 88.571%
8. Nick Folk • NYJ 87.097%
Adam Vinatieri • IND 87.097%
10. Mason Crosby • GNB 86.667%

And Dan Carpenter's FG% was 76% in 2016 (Good for 30th place). Please give me a make on 13 of 15 tries over 3 out of 4 tries...

Also, Carp's XP% was 88.9%, which is good for 25th out of 28 qualifying players.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016//kicking.htm

Metz has definitely downgraded his view on Tyrod over the course of the year.... but that isn't a bad thing is it? He has watched the games and concluded that Tyrod probably isn't as good as he maybe thought he could be after his 1st year as a starter. I think a few of us were cautiously optimistic after year 1 and less so after year 2. I don't think Tyrod is ever going to be the guy, but he will start in a league so starved of talent. The question is I think what is his true value as a starter..... I don't think it is the $20m a year for 2 years that his current Bills contract essentially becomes if they take up the option.

I'm just breaking his balls a little bit. I didn't insult him.

And Dan Carpenter's FG% was 76% in 2016 (Good for 30th place). Please give me a make on 13 of 15 tries over 3 out of 4 tries...

Also, Carp's XP% was 88.9%, which is good for 25th out of 28 qualifying players.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016//kicking.htm

So your saying he's not the worst in the league.

I wanted Tyrod benched much earlier in the season but with the new coaching staff I'm looking forward to seeing how they can get him to perform. I'll be OK if we keep him if not for the simple fact of the nightmares he creates for opposing Defenses. I still want to draft a QB in the 1st round.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

keep TT

draft a QB at #10

draft a WR in round 2

sign a veteran RT in free agency

switch defense back to 4-3....add shaq & ragland to the mix

boom....wildcard team.

What about safety? Or are we ok watching balls sail over our LB's heads for 6 points every five minutes?

keep TT

draft a QB at #10

draft a WR in round 2

sign a veteran RT in free agency

switch defense back to 4-3....add shaq & ragland to the mix

boom....wildcard team.

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30 million that means Bills management believe he is the guy. The Bills mgmt said so. So please stop trying to have it both ways and middling it.

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30 million that means Bills management believe he is the guy. The Bills mgmt said so. So please stop trying to have it both ways and middling it.

i think it's actually McD's decision, and it could mean that they may not think he's "the guy" long term but also don't think any of the QBs in the draft, or Cardale, are ready to start right away and don't plan to throw the season away. They could very well draft one in the 1st two rounds and keep TT for 2 more years.

I'm just not sure anyone knows what it really means other than they had no better alternative for 2017.

i think it's actually McD's decision, and it could mean that they may not think he's "the guy" long term but also don't think any of the QBs in the draft, or Cardale, are ready to start right away and don't plan to throw the season away. They could very well draft one in the 1st two rounds and keep TT for 2 more years.

I'm just not sure anyone knows what it really means other than they had no better alternative for 2017.

It also could be a reflection of the scouting department's grades on this year's QB class as well as available FAs. Maybe they're comfortable enough with Tyrod to keep him for 2-3 years and draft a QB in '18 to add to the mix.

I still think this year's plan would be Tyrod, Cheap Vet, Cardale, then next year is Tyrod, Cardale, and Rookie in a free-for-all.

If you have been following the Bills you know for sure that if they spend 30 million on a QB they will not be drafting a QB in the first round for sure, 2nd round as well.

Doug Whaley's tenure has been one of acting as if the Bills are a contender every year and drafting based on need in the top rounds.

Last year was replacing Mario round 1 and stopping the run in round 2, pass rush in round 3.

With the Bills up to the cap and a huge group of free agents up for pay increases Bills will not be able to plug holes in free agency. It's all on the few picks in the draft for Whaley to find safeties, wide receivers, corners, etc.

I'll be glad to bet any Tyrod/draft a QB round 1 fan that this scenario is impossible. It's just not how these guys operate.

If you have been following the Bills you know for sure that if they spend 30 million on a QB they will not be drafting a QB in the first round for sure, 2nd round as well.

Doug Whaley's tenure has been one of acting as if the Bills are a contender every year and drafting based on need in the top rounds.

Last year was replacing Mario round 1 and stopping the run in round 2, pass rush in round 3.

With the Bills up to the cap and a huge group of free agents up for pay increases Bills will not be able to plug holes in free agency. It's all on the few picks in the draft for Whaley to find safeties, wide receivers, corners, etc.

I'll be glad to bet any Tyrod/draft a QB round 1 fan that this scenario is impossible. It's just not how these guys operate.

hard to predict what will happen with new coaching staff imo. Whaley has had 3 drafts and no QB in 1st three rounds, but they had just drafted one in 1st round the year before he took over and signed one in FA and traded for one in 2015. No idea what they will do with McD here. I don't think his contract is prohibitive on drafting one, from that angle. It's not a lot for a starter. Edited by YoloinOhio

hard to predict what will happen with new coaching staff imo. Whaley has had 3 drafts and no QB in 1st three rounds, but they had just drafted one in 1st round the year before he took over and signed one in FA and traded for one in 2015. No idea what they will do with McD here. I don't think his contract is prohibitive on drafting one, from that angle. It's not a lot for a starter.

The Bills management themselves have said they will only pick up the QB contract for Tyrod if they see him as the answer. Once you have the answer you don't draft another QB in the first round.

The only scenario where we draft a QB high in the next two years is Bills "go for it" with Tyrod this year, win 6 games (my current estimate), and then realize they made a mistake and draft high in 2018. But of course they would then be drafting 7th or later and not have the ammo to get the top QB prospects as they would have won 1 or two many games.

Then they take the 3rd or 4th best prospect in a loaded draft and go the JP Losman route next year.

The Bills management themselves have said they will only pick up the QB contract for Tyrod if they see him as the answer. Once you have the answer you don't draft another QB in the first round.

The only scenario where we draft a QB high in the next two years is Bills "go for it" with Tyrod this year, win 6 games (my current estimate), and then realize they made a mistake and draft high in 2018. But of course they would then be drafting 7th or later and not have the ammo to get the top QB prospects as they would have won 1 or two many games.

Then they take the 3rd or 4th best prospect in a loaded draft and go the JP Losman route next year.

And what happens when they don't pick up the current contract, but offer him a different one with a different structure?

Bills management says a lot of things. What they actually do is anything but a foregone conclusion imo considering all the change Edited by YoloinOhio