And the award for Best PPP Poster goes to...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll throw this here..............

I thought that Oscars mixup was some kind of political performance art.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night, and I'm sorry I missed the real-time WTF fun. I saw the news on my iPhone in the middle of the night, then slept on it before reading the details and seeing video.

As the NYT explains it, I don't think it was fake news: There's video, and there's a transcript of what happened. We've got Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway on stage and presenting, and the only reason I can think of why they'd give those two the honor of announcing the most important award is: White Privilege. Rich, old, white people. They rule America and they rule Hollywood. And of course, the white movie "La La Land" wins in their world. All the white La La people file up on stage to take the naked-man statuette, and they start blah-blahing about their la la-ing, and then it's: Oh, no, white people! There's a revolution! The real winner is "Moonlight," the black movie. All the black people come up on the stage. Yay! Victory! Things are not what they seemed! What you thought happened didn't really happen. Who you thought won didn't really win! Wake up from your nightmare! If only President Donald Trump were only a nightmare. Ha ha. La la. Blah blah.
:lol:

Now, I know Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were Bonnie and Clyde. This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks. American outlaws. To put those 2 together is to wink: the rules don't apply. And Warren Beatty has some political wit. (Isn't Trump a bit like Beatty's Bulworth?) So Beatty hesitates over the card, then hands it to Dunaway and she finally says "La La Land." The NYT reports that Beatty says that the card they looked at was the card for the Best Actress award, which said "Emma Stone/La La Land." That's an explanation for why they said "La La Land" for Best Picture? Obviously, that would be the wrong card, though it is a (feeble) excuse for saying "La La Land." It's the only name of a movie on the card.

I guess I'll throw this here..............

I thought that Oscars mixup was some kind of political performance art.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night, and I'm sorry I missed the real-time WTF fun. I saw the news on my iPhone in the middle of the night, then slept on it before reading the details and seeing video.

As the NYT explains it, I don't think it was fake news: There's video, and there's a transcript of what happened. We've got Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway on stage and presenting, and the only reason I can think of why they'd give those two the honor of announcing the most important award is: White Privilege. Rich, old, white people. They rule America and they rule Hollywood. And of course, the white movie "La La Land" wins in their world. All the white La La people file up on stage to take the naked-man statuette, and they start blah-blahing about their la la-ing, and then it's: Oh, no, white people! There's a revolution! The real winner is "Moonlight," the black movie. All the black people come up on the stage. Yay! Victory! Things are not what they seemed! What you thought happened didn't really happen. Who you thought won didn't really win! Wake up from your nightmare! If only President Donald Trump were only a nightmare. Ha ha. La la. Blah blah.

:lol:

Now, I know Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were Bonnie and Clyde. This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks. American outlaws. To put those 2 together is to wink: the rules don't apply. And Warren Beatty has some political wit. (Isn't Trump a bit like Beatty's Bulworth?) So Beatty hesitates over the card, then hands it to Dunaway and she finally says "La La Land." The NYT reports that Beatty says that the card they looked at was the card for the Best Actress award, which said "Emma Stone/La La Land." That's an explanation for why they said "La La Land" for Best Picture? Obviously, that would be the wrong card, though it is a (feeble) excuse for saying "La La Land." It's the only name of a movie on the card.

And this just showcases why no one should ever listen to actors, they can't think for themselves, they just read what was written for them on the card.

...DC Tom! oh wait

Tom gets the "Lifetime Achievement" award....... B-)

Here is the audience when the "mistake" is announced.

C5rKOJPUYAAZJ93.jpg

The mix-up for Best Picture at the Oscars last night is being explained in countless ways, but few will sound more “progressive” than this one:

Opinion: The insane end of the Oscars sent a false message about racial progress http://wapo.st/2lg44uu

:doh: and there it is...........

the Left is so obsessed with race.........................no message here except ineptitude.

Tom gets the "Lifetime Achievement" award....... B-)

Here is the audience when the "mistake" is announced.

C5rKOJPUYAAZJ93.jpg

The mix-up for Best Picture at the Oscars last night is being explained in countless ways, but few will sound more “progressive” than this one:

:doh: and there it is...........

the Left is so obsessed with race.........................no message here except ineptitude.

Yes and Hollywood has become a joke even before this escapade. Did anyone notice that something like 10 movies were nominated for best picture? That's practically every damn movie made last year. The academy is now giving out participation awards in the form of nominations. Some of those movies were crap.

Yes and Hollywood has become a joke even before this escapade. Did anyone notice that something like 10 movies were nominated for best picture? That's practically every damn movie made last year. The academy is now giving out participation awards in the form of nominations. Some of those movies were crap.

Arrival and Hidden Figures had no business being nominated for best picture if the category hadn't been expanded imo. The expansion of the best picture category, designed to allow more "popular" movies to get a nom with the hopes of getting more eyeballs to watch the Oscars, has been a mixed bag so far. Can't say I disagree with your take.

Arrival and Hidden Figures had no business being nominated for best picture if the category hadn't been expanded imo. The expansion of the best picture category, designed to allow more "popular" movies to get a nom with the hopes of getting more eyeballs to watch the Oscars, has been a mixed bag so far. Can't say I disagree with your take.

I saw Arrival at a Theatre. Could barely stay awake. Crappy Sci-fi blended with crappy touchy feely-ness.

I saw Arrival at a Theatre. Could barely stay awake. Crappy Sci-fi blended with crappy touchy feely-ness.

I tend to agree ... and clearly it's a subject that I have an interest in :lol:

It didn't help that the "twist" of the movie is almost identical to something I had been working on with another writer (meaning, I was going to hate the movie regardless for doing something we were trying to do better because I'm petty like that) -- but even without that it just wasn't good enough for me to be nominated. It was good, just not great.

Same with Hidden Figures -- it's not a bad movie, it's a feel good historical drama. It's just paint by numbers and cloying... and to me they left out a huge swath of actual history to heighten the story they were telling. Good film, just not great.

Same with Hidden Figures -- it's not a bad movie, it's a feel good historical drama. It's just paint by numbers and cloying... and to me they left out a huge swath of actual history to heighten the story they were telling. Good film, just not great.

They did the same thing with The Imitation Game. It seems to be the new in-vogue thing: deemphasize the history in favor of telling a social justice morality tale, to the point that the deemphasized history weakens your morality tale to the point that only the most saccharine SJWs will take it seriously. And presto, instant Oscar nomination.