Watson is a Franchise QB

Mikie2times

• Does he have the right physical tools? Height/Arm Strength specifically? Watson checks out in both areas at 6'3 and has a good arm. He's also athletic, so give a him a small plus
  • Has he shown he can dominate competition? I'm looking for a guy that showed he can take his program to levels it never reached before or for a very long time. It had been 35 years since Clemson won a National Title. They went to the National title back to back seasons. Clemson was very talented but Watson was the catalyst.
  • How effective can he perform against elite competition and in big games? Alabama is about the closest thing a college QB will see compared to NFL talent and scheme. He faced them back to back years in the National Title. Against Alabama his numbers are staggering. Comp % 64.1, 7 TD, 1 INT, 412 YPG.
  • Clutch? Winning a National Championship after having a large deficit, driving the length of the field and scoring on the final play clutch? Yes...
  • Can he throw in the middle of the field and the can he throw WR's open? He does a very good job in both areas. He throws the intermediate routes over the middle as well as anybody in college football. He also let's his guys make a play on the ball with back shoulder and jump ball throws

We can talk about things he has to work on. Guys certainly not perfect. He has to adapt more to the NFL game and get better with footwork and accuracy. I see his career starting out with high production and high turnovers. Many of the great ones do. Then as years progress completion % will rise and the INT's will decline. He has "IT", whatever that is.

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sold, and wouldn't take him at 10 if it were my call, but that's just my opinion. Ultimately, I'm most concerned about his accuracy on mid-deep throws. Too inconsistent there for me to think he will be a "franchise QB."

I think he is smart and a good leader of men. He throws the ball in good spots on "quick hit" routes so his receiver can run after the catch. His size and athleticism is a big plus.

The accuracy thing bothers me though.

if im taking a qb at 10....i dont want to fix accuracy issues coming out of college

if they decide to take a qb at 10 then so be it but just know your probably passing by a elite player at another position for a player that will probably not be ready in year 1

WR - we need a player that can be leaned on heavily in the worst kind of way here.....yes....we have Watkins who just went though a very injury plagued season.....Woods is not returning the HCs calls and past those 2 we have NOTHING that can consistantly be counted on to catch 10 balls a game.

S - Our safety position is in shambles.....Willaims might come back but what does it say about that position that our best player cant make it through a full season

BOTH of those positions might have a elite player there for us to select at 10

If we are gonna have to take a qb that is gonna need to be developed I would rather do it in round 2

I'll gamble on the elite intangibles.

Honestly, there is where I'm at. He definitely isn't a perfect prospect or he'd be the number 1 pick. But at this point, would it be awful to miss on a qb that has dominated the closet thing to a NFL defense in the biggest game of the year 2 years in a row?

Doesn't the possibly of what Watson could be trump any think a S or WR could be? And given what you have to pay him, if it's clear he isn't the guy, draft another guy next year. It's a position that the Bills have completely neglected.

I think there has been mass overthink on the kid because he has been talked about as a possible top 5 pick since 4 or 5 games into last year. When you go and look at the tape it stacks up. He has better film than both Goff and Wentz had this time last year.

If he is there at #10 I believe the Bills should pick him.

i have kinda come to the point where i watch Bills games and see the qb on the other side making plays our guy just can't. i want one of those guys. if watson might be one of those guys, and he is there, take him. if it is a different guy, and there is a possibility he could be one of those guys take him. safeties, receivers, linebackers, linemen...they can all be found later, or next year, or in FA, or on the streets. good enough is plenty good enough for those positions. i want a GREAT qb. and you might have to rattle off a couple fouls before you hit that HR. but you will never find a great qb by drafting a wr, s, or lb.

Honestly, there is where I'm at. He definitely isn't a perfect prospect or he'd be the number 1 pick. But at this point, would it be awful to miss on a qb that has dominated the closet thing to a NFL defense in the biggest game of the year 2 years in a row?

Doesn't the possibly of what Watson could be trump any think a S or WR could be? And given what you have to pay him, if it's clear he isn't the guy, draft another guy next year. It's a position that the Bills have completely neglected.

The fact that fans would immediately look to the following year to select another qb tells me we should not do it

i have kinda come to the point where i watch Bills games and see the qb on the other side making plays our guy just can't. i want one of those guys. if watson might be one of those guys, and he is there, take him. if it is a different guy, and there is a possibility he could be one of those guys take him. safeties, receivers, linebackers, linemen...they can all be found later, or next year, or in FA, or on the streets. good enough is plenty good enough for those positions. i want a GREAT qb. and you might have to rattle off a couple fouls before you hit that HR. but you will never find a great qb by drafting a wr, s, or lb.

Not all of the great qbs have come in the 1st round

The fact that fans would immediately look to the following year to select another qb tells me we should not do it

Never draft a QB because they could be bad - Buffalo Bills motto

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Not all of the great qbs have come in the 1st round

Yes John but history shows you're far more likely to hit on one in the 1st than later one. And I'm completely fine with drafting Watson in the first and getting another guy later in the draft. Then evaluate the season and draft another guy next year if need to be. Just take some shots!!!

The Panthers had Jimmy Clausen (who I hated everything about him) who they used a 2nd rounder on and drafted Cam the next year. Never settle with the qb position. If you get lucky and get 2 decent prospects, you have premium trade baits. See NE.

Yes John but history shows you're far more likely to hit on one in the 1st than later one. And I'm completely fine with drafting Watson in the first and getting another guy later in the draft. Then evaluate the season and draft another guy next year if need to be. Just take some shots!!!

The Panthers had Jimmy Clausen (who I hated everything about him) who they used a 2nd rounder on and drafted Cam the next year. Never settle with the qb position. If you get lucky and get 2 decent prospects, you have premium trade baits. See NE.

On the cam thing I think that was the panthers just staying true to their board.....which I think we should do as well.

Im not saying dont draft a qb......im saying that REACHING for a qb like the year we took EJ would set this team back even further (and yes I think these qbs are better then that draft)

Myself...im a Mahonnes guy with the understanding that he should not start year 1

Why would you not take the better QB prospect?

because we dont know that he is

Lot of talent on that team around Watson...you gotta figure that in as well

On the cam thing I think that was the panthers just staying true to their board.....which I think we should do as well.

Im not saying dont draft a qb......im saying that REACHING for a qb like the year we took EJ would set this team back even further (and yes I think these qbs are better then that draft)

Myself...im a Mahonnes guy with the understanding that he should not start year 1

because we dont know that he is

Lot of talent on that team around Watson...you gotta figure that in as well

So then take the best QB prospect at 10, not necessarily Watson, would be your argument?

Edited by FireChan