I still feel like we are as talented as we've been reently

dayman

This team lacks talent in many areas- WR, TE, Safety, and QB. And when we switch our defensive alignment, AGAIN, we will be void of DE also. This team will be lucky to scrape 6 wins next year.

We're way above average at TE. Maybe ten teams have as good a TE as our first stringer. Maybe. And there just aren't that many good 2nd string TEs around the league.

But yeah, we've got some real holes. LB sticks out also. We had the guys for the old system, but especially if Zach leaves, it's hard to argue we have what we need for the new regime.

They have lost name players that are being replaced with young guys

If they resign Z. Brown then they have a better LB then then Bradham

You are assuming that Lawson is going to be this huge drop off from Mario.......what if he is not?

Frankly Ragland could be as good as any MLB we have had in some time

Shoot....even Preston Brown did his best work in a 4/3 in his rookie year

My point is....until we actually SEE them not perform as well in a D that they have performed well in the past you should not automatically expect worse play

Coaching plays a part in this as well......HC has a recent track record of success in this area

John, making educated guesses is mostly what people come here to do. Yeah to be absolutely sure what will happen, you have to wait. Doesn't mean you can't make educated guesses, notice red flags and comment on their likely meanings.

Now if you express those opinions as facts, yeah, you're not making sense. But expressed as opinions, that's what most of us are here for. Yeah, you have to wait to be sure. But sharing opinions before the day comes is about as reasonable as it gets.

You're absolutely right that coaching appears to have been a major part of our poor performance on defence the last couple of years. But good coaching doesn't just turn all sow's ears into silk purses.

Ragland, for instance, is a guy I have real doubts about. The reason he fell in the draft seems to be that he represents a linebacker template that is less and less commonly used in the new passing NFL. LBs are tending smaller and faster and here's a guy of the old bash-and-smash school. I have real doubts that without Rex's scheme needs he's ever going to do a lot for us. I could be wrong. But I'd argue that's the way it looks. He certainly has smarts and instincts, and that's what gives me a bit of hope, but not much. My guess is he ends up a two-down guy.

And our head coach certainly has a terrific record of turning defences around, but it took him a while to do it at his last stop, and I'd expect much the same here.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been feeling that way for the last few years. Not sure why people advocate to blow it up.

Rex had us doing crazy things and was hurting the team. We should stay the course (including Tyrod) and add a little beef at WR and OL see what happens.

Anyone really think--if you actually think about it--that our team is not good enough to make the playoffs?

I still feel like I can pick up college chicks.

I'm still pretty good lookin'. I might be talking about bands way before their time, but summa them have come back around to be popular again.

When I'm out , I'm real cool. Like I order the young girls drinks like "Sex on the Beach" and a "Blow Job Cocktail"....gets them every time.

quite untrue. we have one the best Offensive lines Bills have fielded in a very long time. and thats with Mills !

That is indeed quite the low bar.

The Bills had some of the worst offensive lines in the NFL for many years. Don't you remember the Ostroski days?

Tyrod is a band aid for a shaky offensive line. They look good on the run because teams must stay back a bit for fear of TT taking off. The pass blocking is not good at all. The right side was flat out terrible last season.

Edited by Bill from NYC

All we need are more FA signings in the likes of Kawika Mitchell and Derrek Dockery, then we're SB bound for sure.

Also don't forget about a QB wearing lifts in his shoes like was mentioned in the other thread. Although he was standing on his tip toes in his last game of the year, not the team's last game though, an OT loss against a team that got destroyed in the wildcard.

I can imagine us sneaking into the lower reaches of the playoffs and losing our first game. I just don't care. That would be like setting a goal to earn $10,000 a year. Even if you get there, so what. Your journey's still only beginning.

I think they've got a reasonable talent base, but not at QB and no real difference makers at the defensive impact positions either.

And they also are having cap problems, so just keeping this team together without upgrading at all is going to be almost impossible. Blame Whaley for our salary cap problems.

10 k is a lot of money when you are broke

Last year I would agree with the OP. This year, so many free agents. Not much cap room. Tyrod not improving. Sammy being constantly injured. No safeties. 1 promising LB (who's coming off knee surgery). No RT. Only 1 WR under contract (listenbee doesn't count imo). Most of our DL depth are free agents. I don't know......just seems like we missed out chance the last 2 years. We have some pieces to build around (solid OL, a healthy Sammy, shady, solid DL starters) but I don't think we'll be as good as last year, especially with the schedule we have

I disagree that we will be void of DE. Hughes and Shaq are best playing DE in a 4-3 imo. I see it as a strength of the team to be honest

Hughes is a quality pass rusher, and thats where it stops. Shaq, imo is a huge ? . He looked slow and lost, however he was coming off an injury. Bottom line, he hasnt proved anything yet.

Despite the holes, we have enough talent for a wild card spot. Whaley has a knack for finding guys. When Brady is AARP eligible, maybe we can compete for the division.

We have enough talent to scrape the bottom of the barrel again, imo.

Hughes is a quality pass rusher, and thats where it stops. Shaq, imo is a huge ? . He looked slow and lost, however he was coming off an injury. Bottom line, he hasnt proved anything yet.

We have enough talent to scrape the bottom of the barrel again, imo.

I don't agree. This is one of the better teams in the league player wise coming off last season. we shall see how they fill the gaps this year.

I think the issue has been Coaching more than player talent