Windows 10 issue - need help

\GoBillsInDallas/

I know that this web site is populated with computer nerds :lol: , so I figured that one of you geniuses can come up with an answer for this.

We have 7 computers, all running Windows 10. And they all work properly, except for one.

This desktop computer has trouble with a Windows update. After this update is installed, the machine will not reboot. Instead, it gets stuck on the dark screen that has the light blue Windows logo with the swirling circle. And after a short time, the logo disappears but the swirling circle stays. (no reboot)

Right now, the machine works.

At the lower left of the screen, when I click Start>Power it gives me 5 options:

Sleep

Shut down

Restart

Update and restart

Update and shut down

If I click Start>Settings>Update & security it gives me a message that that the computer needs to be restarted in order to complete the update.

For now, I have been simply clicking Start>Power>Shut down to avoid the issue.

After a while, though, I get the pop-up message that the computer will restart in 10 minutes, with an option to “Restart Now”. And this pop-up message can’t be ignored or deleted, and the computer will restart with no way to stop it.

When I click any of the “update” or “restart” options described above, the computer will update. And I get the screen that says “Updating Windows 10 – this may take a while.”

After the update is done, the computer will automatically reboot, which gives me the dark screen/swirling circle described above. And this screen will not go away – I’ve let the computer sit for two days with the swirling circle staying there.

I can temporarily work around the issue by manually turning the computer off and on 3 times. After the third time, I will get the “Restoring your previous version of Windows” screen which puts me back to Square One.

So…any ideas?

I had this issue and it was the Nvidia graphics driver causing the problem.

The windows update is not compatible with the current driver so it gets stuck in the loading windows screen.

• Try updating the graphics driver and see if that helps.

Windows 10 has a problem with older hardware. If you upgraded an older computer to 10, it will continue to have compatibility problems.

Yes there are a lot of reports that the free "upgrade" works on a lot of machines but when it updates it fails due to drivers.

Remember always skip Windows updates with even numbers - Windows 3, 5 and 7 were good but 4 was meh, 6 troublesome and 8 terrible. They skipped 9 with Windows 10 so I knew it was going to suck.

I know that this web site is populated with computer nerds :lol: , so I figured that one of you geniuses can come up with an answer for this.
We have 7 computers, all running Windows 10. And they all work properly, except for one.
This desktop computer has trouble with a Windows update. After this update is installed, the machine will not reboot. Instead, it gets stuck on the dark screen that has the light blue Windows logo with the swirling circle. And after a short time, the logo disappears but the swirling circle stays. (no reboot)
Right now, the machine works.
At the lower left of the screen, when I click Start>Power it gives me 5 options:
Sleep
Shut down
Restart
Update and restart
Update and shut down
If I click Start>Settings>Update & security it gives me a message that that the computer needs to be restarted in order to complete the update.
For now, I have been simply clicking Start>Power>Shut down to avoid the issue.
After a while, though, I get the pop-up message that the computer will restart in 10 minutes, with an option to “Restart Now”. And this pop-up message can’t be ignored or deleted, and the computer will restart with no way to stop it.
When I click any of the “update” or “restart” options described above, the computer will update. And I get the screen that says “Updating Windows 10 – this may take a while.”
After the update is done, the computer will automatically reboot, which gives me the dark screen/swirling circle described above. And this screen will not go away – I’ve let the computer sit for two days with the swirling circle staying there.
I can temporarily work around the issue by manually turning the computer off and on 3 times. After the third time, I will get the “Restoring your previous version of Windows” screen which puts me back to Square One.
So…any ideas?

Rather than use automatic update, Microsoft has something called the Media Creation Tool that lets you download and apply the update outside the automated process. The big benefit of this is that it gives meaningful errors (in that it actually gives codes like "0x01100901" that you can google, rather than a meaningless "Sorry, **** didn't work, you're !@#$ed" message).

Been dealing with a similar issue, and just went through this process. Using that tool, I've managed to narrow my specific problem down to "Microsoft is a gaggle of asshats," which is actually a form of progress, surprisingly.

More info (in case you guys want to pursue it any further).

Currently, the machine is running Version 1511. The problems happen during the update to Version 1607:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS528US529&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows+update+1511+to+1607+not+working&*

Look for a folder named Windows.old. Rename it (to something like Windows.aaaa - do not delete it.)

It's created as part of the update process, but is not always managed or removed properly during the update. It seems to be a relatively common, yet not well known problem. It's off the root directory, but if you have multiple drives, it might be on more than one drive (it was on mine, for whatever reason).

Follow-up: I got the update to work, and now it runs fine.

The problem?

I looked online over the weekend, and found the issue on several message boards.

My computer has a Logitech wireless trackball mouse. All I had to do was to leave the computer on overnight. In the morning, I went to Start>Settings>Updates and Security and made sure that "A restart is required" message was there. I clicked the "restart now' button and then removed the Logitech USB doodle from the back of the computer. After an hour, the update was completed. I then re-attached the doodle and the Logitech mouse software updated itself.

:doh:

Good news that this issue is resolved.

I got a call FROM Microsoft Windows Tech and if I needed they would clean my windows.

All I had to do was supply a credit card number and password.

When I replied that I use Windex to clean windows, the scammer hung up.

How effen stoopid are these scammers?

Good news that this issue is resolved.

I got a call FROM Microsoft Windows Tech and if I needed they would clean my windows.

All I had to do was supply a credit card number and password.

When I replied that I use Windex to clean windows, the scammer hung up.

How effen stoopid are these scammers?

I love stringing those people along. So much so that my sister-in-law, instead of hanging up on them, forwards them to me.

"Could you please to verify your version of Windows version?"

"Sure. It's...uh...Ubuntu 15.04 LTS. Is that the correct version of Windows, or should I upgrade?"

I love stringing those people along. So much so that my sister-in-law, instead of hanging up on them, forwards them to me.

"Could you please to verify your version of Windows version?"

"Sure. It's...uh...Ubuntu 15.04 LTS. Is that the correct version of Windows, or should I upgrade?"

Ubuntu releases LTS in even years