RIP Alan Colmes

Nanker

He seemed like a genuinely nice guy but often got beat up in the debate of most issues. Cancer takes far too many of us.

Yes, on all counts. He held his own many times, but the facts were against him. To his great credit, he never wavered in his beliefs, as different though they were from mine. I always admired that about him. He was married to Monica Crowley's sister. They must have had some wild family dinner conversations.

very smart guy. he lost a lot of political debates bc intelligent arguments just arent that important in political debating

i like that he preferred a real back and forth debate where you actually waited for the other side to finish their point, as opposed to our far more popular (and virtually useless) 'see who can shout and cut the other off the best' format. that also lost him a lot of political debates, poor showmanship

he showed his bias sometimes but he still usually presented the better logical and rational arguments imo

RIP, Colmes. "Brief illness" and "cancer" in the same sentence seems to be more commonplace these days and it's got to be heart wrenching.

He was always a nice guy, but he was also the quintessential lock-step talking point Democrat. He was opposite Hannity because he was the left version of Hannity: very little substance...just blather.

RIP, Colmes. "Brief illness" and "cancer" in the same sentence seems to be more commonplace these days and it's got to be heart wrenching.

He was always a nice guy, but he was also the quintessential lock-step talking point Democrat. He was opposite Hannity because he was the left version of Hannity: very little substance...just blather.

A lot less whining though. I haven't been able to listen to Hannity for years because he has such a whinny voice. He just complains and harangues constantly and continually. It got tiresome listening to him rant while waiting for ten seconds of substance to come out. I gave up.

A lot less whining though. I haven't been able to listen to Hannity for years because he has such a whinny voice. He just complains and harangues constantly and continually. It got tiresome listening to him rant while waiting for ten seconds of substance to come out. I gave up.

Yeah, I gave up listening to his sniveling a long time ago. I kept watching O'Reilly for a while, and Holmes would inevitably end up there, but O'Reilly was so condescending, I was surprised Holmes kept going back for more. At some point you need to realize when your sole purpose is to be someone else's punching bag, like Kirsten Powers. Brilliant, level-headed lefty who O'Reilly and Hannity treated like dirt. She at least opted out.

Edited by LABillzFan

Good analysis LA. I agree. Speaking of punching bags, I hope they paid him better than Sylvester Stallone did Chuck Wepner for his inspiration for the Rocky character.

Chuck's high water mark - went nearly a full 15 rounds with Ali:

mildly surprised and happy to see you guys dont like hannity either. youre not right wingers but you mostly seem like right from center folks so i guess it makes sense

funny bc to me sean was mostly cartoon material on his colmes shows. he sort of had to be, the country had lurched right after 9/11 and was still deeply probing their old conservative philosophies. sean had to be outrageous to get any traction in that political debate world and keep his job

now that the country figured out why they left far right conservatism in the first place, we have lurched left. now i find sean making way way way more great, realistic, logical points than ever before. hes still spits out that old crap sometimes, probably on purpose, but hes so much more listenable at times than he ever was before imo

the pendulum swings back and forth, crashing against each wall each time, while we look around and wonder why we are bleeding. aaa-gain

He was cast as the prototype of weak liberal, but far too often beat Hannity with simple arguments that served to amplify Hannity's extreme partisanship.

agreed. his superior arguments flied under what was at the time extreme radar

of course also at that time a monkey could make better arguments than the hannity of that era. he pushed the extreme bc thats the red meat a ton of ppl wanted at that time

that eras oreilly is a slightly less shrill verson. havent listened to oreilly in forever but i bet i would find him somewhat more moderate now, for the same reason

I was just thinking about him recently wondering where he went. He used to get me yelling at the radio a lot. Good times.

Cancer sucks. Had one of my best clients pass two weeks ago at 61. Was diagnosed about 4 months ago. Better that than to linger but damn.