The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What the actual !@#$ did I just read?

Seriously, this broad gets paid to write an article about not going to the gym, having a bad meal, then going back to the gym and being sore a year later?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

What the actual !@#$ did I just read?

Seriously, this broad gets paid to write an article about not going to the gym, having a bad meal, then going back to the gym and being sore a year later?

during the days of 2 papers and 3 networks it was far worse than this and completely controlling

AP NewsBreak: The U.S. Army has moved in recent weeks to discharge dozens of immigrant recruits and reservists who enlisted through a program that promised them a path to citizenship.

9Nc2mtrA_bigger.jpgNo One  ??‏ @tweettruth2me
FollowFollow @tweettruth2me
More

No One  ??Retweeted The Associated Press

What @AP failed to mention in their headline is that all 40 failed background checks. #FactsMatter

."We aren't biased"

• Like (+1) 2

1) A background check has always been an essential element in this program. The article itself admits the people being released have failed that check.

2) As they have not even started basic training, they aren’t really being discharged.

3) also the program has faced issues recently w/ abuse by those who sign up just for short periods to get stats via honorable discharge since there is no time requirement for service.
4) Apparently, w/ background issue, there is a rising gang problem among recruits.

Now of course if they are actually kicking out people who were willing to serve this country honorably, that is outrageous and should be reviewed in a case by case basis, but some of these cuts may be warranted for reasons stated above.

On the other hand, if this is the AP taking reasonable actions by the military and twisting them into some nefarious anti-immigrant plot, it’s yet another example of a string of media failures recently where creating outrage seems to be prioritized over the truth and context.

twitter.com/ap/status/1014995091591753728 

Just now, B-Man said:

1) A background check has always been an essential element in this program. The article itself admits the people being released have failed that check.

2) As they have not even started basic training, they aren’t really being discharged.

3) also the program has faced issues recently w/ abuse by those who sign up just for short periods to get stats via honorable discharge since there is no time requirement for service.
4) Apparently, w/ background issue, there is a rising gang problem among recruits.

Now of course if they are actually kicking out people who were willing to serve this country honorably, that is outrageous and should be reviewed in a case by case basis, but some of these cuts may be warranted for reasons stated above.

On the other hand, if this is the AP taking reasonable actions by the military and twisting them into some nefarious anti-immigrant plot, it’s yet another example of a string of media failures recently where creating outrage seems to be prioritized over the truth and context.

twitter.com/ap/status/1014995091591753728 

I've read that AP story three times now, as someone who knows something about it, and I can't make any sense out of anything they're trying to say.  That story is a complete hash.  It's like someone put an inflammatory headline on an EII post.

Although...http://thehill.com/policy/defense/355400-pentagon-makes-major-changes-to-program-to-recruit-immigrants  But we're only hearing about it now.  Wonder why...  <_<

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I think this one's my favorite so far. Leave it to the Brits. :lol: 

But not much brighter than the average American

“So when he visits the UK on Friday, we want to make sure he knows that all of Britain is looking down on him and laughing at him.”

• Haha (+1) 1

In an article yesterday titled “Democrats: Do Not Surrender the Judiciary,” the Gray Lady’s editorial board has a modest plan for her party:

With Republicans controlling the Senate and the judicial filibuster dead, the Democrats’ odds of denying President Trump a second Supreme Court appointment are slim. Barring some unforeseen development, the president will lock in a 5-to-4 conservative majority, shifting the court solidly to the right for a generation.

This is all the more reason for Democrats and progressives to take a page from “The Godfather” and go to the mattresses on this issue.

“I’m confused on if

1. Anyone on The NY Times Ed Board has seen The Godfather or if

2. They have and are suggesting starting a murderous mob war to prevent a SCOTUS pick,” 

Stephen Miller asks. “Because THIS is what happens when you go to the mattresses,” Twitchy adds:

:w00t:

I’ll take Cocaine Mitch going full Sicario over the NYT & Schumer going full Godfather thanks

063_956131650.jpg

Although it is amusing to think of Schumer in his office yelling at his advisers, “Well, you just do what I tell you to do. Goddamn it. If I had a wartime consigliere, a Sicilian, I wouldn’t be in this shape!”

Edited by B-Man
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

In an article yesterday titled “Democrats: Do Not Surrender the Judiciary,” the Gray Lady’s editorial board has a modest plan for her party:

With Republicans controlling the Senate and the judicial filibuster dead, the Democrats’ odds of denying President Trump a second Supreme Court appointment are slim. Barring some unforeseen development, the president will lock in a 5-to-4 conservative majority, shifting the court solidly to the right for a generation.

This is all the more reason for Democrats and progressives to take a page from “The Godfather” and go to the mattresses on this issue.

“I’m confused on if

1. Anyone on The NY Times Ed Board has seen The Godfather or if

2. They have and are suggesting starting a murderous mob war to prevent a SCOTUS pick,” 

Stephen Miller asks. “Because THIS is what happens when you go to the mattresses,” Twitchy adds:

:w00t:

063_956131650.jpg

Although it is amusing to think of Schumer in his office yelling at his advisers, “Well, you just do what I tell you to do. Goddamn it. If I had a wartime consigliere, a Sicilian, I wouldn’t be in this shape!”

What do they think this like College where you can scream and protest until you get what you want? No you gotta get up like this and badda-bing, you blow their brains all over your nice Pendleton flannel.

ibjM-Kyv_bigger.jpgNYT OpinionVerified account @nytopinion

FollowFollow @nytopinion
It is clear that neither James Mattis nor Kirstjen Nielsen will stop Mr. Trump from extending his anti-immigrant policies to the military. In the interest of national security and decency, Congress must step in.

AP's badly bungled and misleading report now magnified by NYT.

A pipeline of bad reporting and an echo chamber of ignorance blooming right before your very eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

ibjM-Kyv_bigger.jpgNYT OpinionVerified account @nytopinion

FollowFollow @nytopinion
It is clear that neither James Mattis nor Kirstjen Nielsen will stop Mr. Trump from extending his anti-immigrant policies to the military. In the interest of national security and decency, Congress must step in.

A pipeline of bad reporting and an echo chamber of ignorance blooming right before your very eyes.

Wait, I thought Obama had to exercise unprecedented Executive authority to thwart a Congress full of racist white Republicans.

But now the same racist white Republicans in Congress must intervene to thwart Trump in the name of decency and national security?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Jesus, that's awful reporting.

News flash: Nielsen has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this.  It's entirely DoD.  And DoD shut it down two years ago - so most of these people being "discharged" are actually having their deferred enlistment expire.

And MAVNI has always been a !@#$ed up program.  Here's a story from 2014 about the third time it was put on hold for being a bureaucratic cluster-!@#$: https://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/pentagon-immigration-112152.  And here's one outlining the problems - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/new-department-defense-rules-put-future-some-non-citizen-recruits-n814366 - from nine months ago.

This story's been reported for nine months...but now it's a crisis?  Once again: we're not being told the news.  We're being manipulated into outrage.  

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Wait, I thought Obama had to exercise unprecedented Executive authority to thwart a Congress full of racist white Republicans.

But now the same racist white Republicans in Congress must intervene to thwart Trump in the name of decency and national security?

They have to intervene to thwart Trump by propping up a program that exists only because of the unprecedented executive authority Obama used to bypass them.  :lol:  The Times has gone off their rocker...

• Like (+1) 3