The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Hah! They were probably Irishmen. :lol:

I swear, I've never heard that uttered by anyone other than an Irishman or someone playing one in TV.

Honestly, we all need to stop worrying about what we call each other, and remember that despite the fact that they may be repugnant in the extreme, they're still only words.

It makes it a lot easier to learn who the fools are if we give them both the stage and a microphone to show us.

Hence my Hay foot straw foot post above.  Most of the CW conscripts we’re farm lads and many of them were Irish. They literally didn’t know “Left” from “right” so their drill sergeants had them tie hay and straw to their ankles so they’d know how to march in cadence. Instead of “Your Left, your right, your left.” They would bark out, “Hay foot, straw foot, Hay foot” to drill the dumb bastages. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Hence my Hay foot straw foot post above.  Most of the CW conscripts we’re farm lads and many of them were Irish. They literally didn’t know “Left” from “right” so their drill sergeants had them tie hay and straw to their ankles so they’d know how to march in cadence. Instead of “Your Left, your right, your left.” They would bark out, “Hay foot, straw foot, Hay foot” to drill the dumb bastages. 

Hmmn. This gives me an idea that could be used on our very own gator.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll go with the bubonic plague.  The whataboutisms are getting tiring though.  It's a last resort tactic.  It would be like Hitler making his case at the Pearly Gates saying, "Well, what about Stalin?"  Defending any of these vile people is fruitless.  Caring what celebrities have to say politically is pathetic and gives them a sense that their opinion actually matters.  

Pointing out double-standards IS NOT whataboutism.

I can't stand that term.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Caring what celebrities have to say politically is pathetic and gives them a sense that their opinion actually matters.  

In a perfect world, you're 100% correct.  In reality, it's not the case, especially in the last 20 years as celebrities received far more airtime and import in the political arena.  Hell, the sitting President got into office thanks to the popularity of a show that had "Celebrity" in its title.

As an aside, I wonder that now with the benefit of time, would Greggy want to revisit the age-old discussion about the effects that The Daily Show had on news and the political discourse?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GG said:

In a perfect world, you're 100% correct.  In reality, it's not the case, especially in the last 20 years as celebrities received far more airtime and import in the political arena.  Hell, the sitting President got into office thanks to the popularity of a show that had "Celebrity" in its title.

As an aside, I wonder that now with the benefit of time, would Greggy want to revisit the age-old discussion about the effects that The Daily Show had on news and the political discourse?

I met people in the 70s who became Khrisnas because... George Harrison.  

51 minutes ago, GG said:

Most fans do what their favorite celebs suggest, be it wearing a Johnny Depp cologne or voting for Kennedy.

The problem now is that the media demands that celebrities weigh in, in part because the celebs will always take the liberal position.

The left spent a little time going crazy because Taylor Swift refused to get pulled into the fray. She reaches millions upon millions of young girls, and the left was so desperate for her input that they started writing articles complaining that she would not weigh in, as though she had some responsibility to do so.

On the upside, their continued meltdown is wonderful to watch.

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

I met people in the 70s who became Khrisnas because... George Harrison.  

we are never going to see anything remotely approaching the effect The Beatles had on culture.

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Most fans do what their favorite celebs suggest, be it wearing a Johnny Depp cologne or voting for Kennedy.

The problem now is that the media demands that celebrities weigh in, in part because the celebs will always take the liberal position.

The left spent a little time going crazy because Taylor Swift refused to get pulled into the fray. She reaches millions upon millions of young girls, and the left was so desperate for her input that they started writing articles complaining that she would not weigh in, as though she had some responsibility to do so.

On the upside, their continued meltdown is wonderful to watch.

I actually developed a lot of respect for Swift for standing by her refusal to be confused with authority because she's a celebrity.

Conversely, there's some celebrities like Angelina Jolie, who put in the effort to be knowledgeable about and work in specific fields of interest, whose opinions on those issues I respect and would seek out.

But far too many are shallow, superficial, bandwagoning dipshits, like George Clooney and his Darfur "activism."

44 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I actually developed a lot of respect for Swift for standing by her refusal to be confused with authority because she's a celebrity.

Conversely, there's some celebrities like Angelina Jolie, who put in the effort to be knowledgeable about and work in specific fields of interest, whose opinions on those issues I respect and would seek out.

Richard Gere, as well. I remember him interviewed about Tibet once, and immediately expected something along the lines of Gwyneth Paltrow discussing toilet paper resourcefulness.

Dude was amazing in knowledge and action.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

But far too many are shallow, superficial, bandwagoning dipshits, like George Clooney and his Darfur "activism."

Celebrity and expertise are not mutually exclusive, however they aren't conjoined either.

All celebrity does is provide a pulpit.  How it's used is another matter.

This is the biggest reason why these azzholes hate Trump and will NEVER be objective and do nothing but hateful rhetoric every minute of every day on their useless networks.

FOX is destroying these clowns for a reason.

Edited by njbuff

On 5/31/2018 at 11:14 PM, Azalin said:

Honestly, we all need to stop worrying about what we call each other, and remember that despite the fact that they may be repugnant in the extreme, they're still only words.

It makes it a lot easier to learn who the fools are if we give them both the stage and a microphone to show us.

I tend to agree, but in today's reality vitriol is only punished when it comes from one direction. Either punish both, or punish neither...unless the goal is polarization to the point of conflict. I can't stand hypocrisy.