Onfield/uniform advertising for 100% uninterrupted broadcast

DrDawkinstein

A valiant effort However this is the NFL we are talking about. Even if they added on field advertising (I'm actually shocked they haven't gone to the virtual on field advertising yet on TV), they wouldn't cut out or even reduce TV commercials. More money, more money ...

That's a FRITO LAY'S FIRST DOWNNNN!!!!!!!

All of this. So well written.

Any "conservative" would freak out if some community center was built with $800 million of public money to be used 10 times a year. But because it's some mediocre football team that never wins anything, TAKE MY MONEY.

Keep your PPP where it belongs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not used to it. I watch without them almost all of the time and love it. The only downside is when I do watch live, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I've watched the DVR version at times (as well as my college hoops team) and while there are advantages, it just loses something for me. But I get it.

I've watched the DVR version at times (as well as my college hoops team) and while there are advantages, it just loses something for me. But I get it.

I get your point of view as well. If I was at a party for example, the commercials extending the game and allowing me to socialize (or get a beer :) ) without paying attention every second would be a good thing. There is probably a happy medium somewhere.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I get your point of view as well. If I was at a party for example, the commercials extending the game and allowing me to socialize (or get a beer :) ) without paying attention every second would be a good thing. There is probably a happy medium somewhere.

Don't forget "getting rid of a beer'.

Don't forget "getting rid of a beer'.

A valid point. Beer is after all, bi-directional :)

Are the players playing while commercials are airing? Are we suggesting they don't ever get a break except for timeouts?

Well yeah. They sit half the game anyway. Are you suggesting they are not fit enough to play half a game without extra commercial breaks?

Why are so many pretending that the commercial breaks are suddenly different and burdensome?

Everyone needs instant gratification now. I don't understand how everything is faster and easier now but nobody has time for anything.

The games are 6 mins longer now vs 2000 (I'd be willing to bet at least half if not more of that time is from penalties) It's Sunday what else are you people doing besides watching football?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I want them to take back the rule of having the play clock continuously running.

When a player is forced out of bounds, the play clock should STOP and not start again until the next play! :angry:

I hated when they did this. They claimed that games were taking too long and viewers hated. :censored: those viewers who need to have action every 3 seconds, because they cannot appreciate the game.

You want action and non-stop scoring? Go watch basketball or play a video game.

There was never anything wrong with the speed of the game.

If a game lasted for 3 hours & 30 minutes in regular time, that just meant that you got to enjoy as much football as you can.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, technically, there's no more football to watch, it just takes longer to do it..... :)

no, there is less time on the field meaning less plays and less football.

It's why college ball has more plays because the clock also stop stops on first downs which I think would make the NFL more fun with more time to make comebacks. Actually wish the NFL followed all the college rules except overtime.

Why are so many pretending that the commercial breaks are suddenly different and burdensome?

I know how much you hate real facts over your alternative variety, the amount of time for commercial breaks has increased each year to where the NFL is talking about reducing the amount of commercial breaks. NFL games are up to an average of 20 commercials breaks. The airtime of commercials is now over double that of actual action taking place in an NFL game. The Wall Street Journal did a study saying the average game has 11 minutes of action, 92 minutes of players in huddles, lining up, milling about, etc.

So if an NFL game is 3 hours long then you have 11 minutes of football, 92 minutes of players standing around and 77 minutes of commercials. The ratio is out of whack. That's over 10 minutes more of commercials than the data from 2009.

In short, in the last few years, they have added more commercial airtime than the amount of time that actual football is being played in a game.

I typed and submitted a response yesterday but was drunk so I deleted it lol.

I think the problem is how the commercials are layed out with the new rule changes. Now that they review every td, increased scoring, and made the return a non play there is a huge gap between meaningful football. THe majority of that gap is commercials. So a td gets scored, reviewed, pat, commercial, touch back, commercial. Somewhere around 5 minutes (if not more) after every td before meaningful plays are run. It becomes very noticeable when teams score 7-8 times a game combined.

I typed and submitted a response yesterday but was drunk so I deleted it lol.

I think the problem is how the commercials are layed out with the new rule changes. Now that they review every td, increased scoring, and made the return a non play there is a huge gap between meaningful football. THe majority of that gap is commercials. So a td gets scored, reviewed, pat, commercial, touch back, commercial. Somewhere around 5 minutes (if not more) after every td before meaningful plays are run. It becomes very noticeable when teams score 7-8 times a game combined.

Yeah I think this is right. Didn't games end around 3:30-3:45? Now there's a lot of 4:15 start times along with games running into the 4:00 starts.

I know how much you hate real facts over your alternative variety, the amount of time for commercial breaks has increased each year to where the NFL is talking about reducing the amount of commercial breaks. NFL games are up to an average of 20 commercials breaks. The airtime of commercials is now over double that of actual action taking place in an NFL game. The Wall Street Journal did a study saying the average game has 11 minutes of action, 92 minutes of players in huddles, lining up, milling about, etc.

So if an NFL game is 3 hours long then you have 11 minutes of football, 92 minutes of players standing around and 77 minutes of commercials. The ratio is out of whack. That's over 10 minutes more of commercials than the data from 2009.

In short, in the last few years, they have added more commercial airtime than the amount of time that actual football is being played in a game.

Thanks for posting WSJ bit--you didn't notice several others already did, or that it was published 7 years ago (i.e. nothing new). Obviously the "11 minutes of football" would still be only 11 minutes of football, no matter if they cut 10 minutes of commercials out.

Anyway, the number of commercials is "up to" an "average of 20 per game" because that's exactly how many they have agreed to supply the networks for ads. They have to provide 10 per half: 1 at the end of the 1st and 3rd and 1 at each 2 minute warning. The other 8 per half they put where they can (sandwiched around TD/PATs, team TOs, injuries, etc). Once those 8 are used up, that's it for the half. So doesn't it make sense to spend a bunch around scoring events to get them out of the way? Who cares?

The NFL was talking about decreasing the number of breaks but making them longer.

College football is no different or worse.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The NFL was talking about decreasing the number of breaks but making them longer.

While my preference is a reduction I could live with fewer but longer. One easy solution for me is get rid of the half time talking heads. Just show 15 minutes of solid adverts.

Have 1 longer ad break at the end of the 1st and 3rd Quarters... 1 longer ad break at the 2 minute warning in each half more ads at half time and then the quick 30 second ad breaks at each time out (except for inside the final 2 minutes).

Sorted.

While my preference is a reduction I could live with fewer but longer. One easy solution for me is get rid of the half time talking heads. Just show 15 minutes of solid adverts.

Have 1 longer ad break at the end of the 1st and 3rd Quarters... 1 longer ad break at the 2 minute warning in each half more ads at half time and then the quick 30 second ad breaks at each time out (except for inside the final 2 minutes).

Sorted.

Interesting idea but I wouldn't accept that if I was the network or the advertiser. This would guarantee no one would see their ads they are paying crazy money for (and for a captive audience).