Trump and Russia

I'm guessing SNAP will definitely take a hit, which will hurt a bunch of farmers markets here that saw tremendous growth over the past few years once they integrated EBT. So that will suck.

I think it's also very likely crop production R&D will lose funding, which may not hurt states like Pennsylvania and NJ with strong ag institutions, but for farmers who rely on sources other than their land grant university for research it's a huge blow.

I can't see them cutting crop insurance or commodity subsidies. But even the immigration ban has caused a bunch of growers to stay using H2A and it's not cheap. This administration has not proven itself to be a friend to ag at all.

they started with their nuts in a bind as policy was ignored to allow for the neglect of federal law with regard to migrant workers.

Righting a ship that's been under water for 30 years is not easy.

Snap and such subsidies to welfare programs on the consumer is an issue I have great frustrated with. I would love to force such money to community gardens and grants for such poor folk to harvest their own food and work for it; of course this is what the church and non profs should do. Not the federal gov. The federal gov shouldn't feed those too stupid to support themselvesz especially when its ding dongs, ho Hos and slurpees.

Land grant unis are an issue. Ncsu is big to help the farmer and land owner and any resident of the state. NY is good but not great. Its set up locally there more than statewide. Cornell is great for ag. Either way, FSA, SWCD's and the like will be diminished more and more. Not only as gov downsize happens but as farms disappear. That's just a given.

Sending him a reset button?

Serious question. Why would the most powerful man in the world be antagonistic against probably the second most powerful man in the world. Gee a mere four years ago people were mocked by people like you for saying that Russia was our chief adversary. Hillary's slush fund made deals with the Rooskies that netted them 20% of the USA's uranium production. He husband got $500,000.00 for a speaking engagement in Russia. That's twice his usual fee. Why would they do that and what makes them so damned bad?

So far with the investigation, about the only person who never met with the Russians is Trump himself. 20 Senators did, and B. O. set up the meetings.

Sending him a reset button?

Serious question. Why would the most powerful man in the world be antagonistic against probably the second most powerful man in the world. Gee a mere four years ago people were mocked by people like you for saying that Russia was our chief adversary. Hillary's slush fund made deals with the Rooskies that netted them 20% of the USA's uranium production. He husband got $500,000.00 for a speaking engagement in Russia. That's twice his usual fee. Why would they do that and what makes them so damned bad?

So far with the investigation, about the only person who never met with the Russians is Trump himself. 20 Senators did, and B. O. set up the meetings.

he attacks everyone, but Putin. If you don't see that as strange, we'll, ok

he attacks everyone, but Putin. If you don't see that as strange, we'll, ok

It is strange. Especially when you compare 45's rhetoric on Russia to HRC's during the campaign.

She spent the entire campaign promising to launch a preemptive war on Russia, it was Hillary's central plank and talking point whenever the subject turned to Syria and foreign policy. She did this with a straight face and was met with approval by her supporters ... all the while her campaign slogan was Love Trumps Hate. But I guess war profiteering trumps love.

It is strange. Especially when you compare 45's rhetoric on Russia to HRC's during the campaign.

She spent the entire campaign promising to launch a preemptive war on Russia, it was Hillary's central plank and talking point whenever the subject turned to Syria and foreign policy. She did this with a straight face and was met with approval by her supporters ... all the while her campaign slogan was Love Trumps Hate. But I guess war profiteering trumps love.

I don't remember her calling for a war. When did she do that?

When she called for a no-fly-zone in Syria.

Something Putin would have hated. His little pathetic af pushed off their murder rampage by a women...

Seems like another incentive to promote Trump who just wants the Assad regime to stay in place

they started with their nuts in a bind as policy was ignored to allow for the neglect of federal law with regard to migrant workers.

Righting a ship that's been under water for 30 years is not easy.

Snap and such subsidies to welfare programs on the consumer is an issue I have great frustrated with. I would love to force such money to community gardens and grants for such poor folk to harvest their own food and work for it; of course this is what the church and non profs should do. Not the federal gov. The federal gov shouldn't feed those too stupid to support themselvesz especially when its ding dongs, ho Hos and slurpees.

Land grant unis are an issue. Ncsu is big to help the farmer and land owner and any resident of the state. NY is good but not great. Its set up locally there more than statewide. Cornell is great for ag. Either way, FSA, SWCD's and the like will be diminished more and more. Not only as gov downsize happens but as farms disappear. That's just a given.

It's a longstanding issue, but the national trend of disappearing farmland and aging farmers is in lockstep with our willingness to accept Mexican or Chinese imported food because A: it's cheaper to produce there and B: we don't value strong agricultural communities anymore. The trouble is once you've paved your field there's no getting it back. So in my mind farmland retention is the first step in the chain, zone it and keep it perpetually in ag with incentives and some kind of trust in order for the farmer to build equity in his property. Then start investing in research again, streamline the immigrant worker program and start marketing US grown products. But it all takes $$$ that we don't appear willing to spend.

Take FSMA, for example. It put a bunch of old timers out of business around here simply because they didn't want to comply with a whole set of food safety regs (lobbied for by the huge growers and biotech industry, with the intent to consolidate production and kill small and mid-size farms IMO) and in one fell swoop over 200 acres of some of the best farmland went out of production. Now they want to sell because their land is basically real estate in a very desirable location and they'll make more by subdividing and selling off than they made in 10 years farming. And you can't even blame them. Hell, I'd probably do the same thing if my kids didn't want to continue the business.

Permanent land trusts, mechanisms for farmers to put equity into leaseholds, access to capital. That's what's needed, not slashing the budget.

Russia may be aiding Taliban in Afghanistan, top US general says

The top U.S. general in Europe told lawmakers Thursday that he sees evidence Russia might be supplying the Taliban in an effort to undermine the United States, in what could be a significant turning point in the Afghanistan conflict.

C7yasLPUwAAXKUm.jpg

So let me get this straight:

In June 2010, Bill Clinton visited Moscow to give a keynote speech for $500,000 to Renaissance Capital, a Russian investment bank owned by Mikhail Prokhorov, who owns the Brooklyn Nets, Barclays Center Arena, and several other entertainment venues in Brooklyn. In 2015, The Wall Street Journal reported that Clinton received a personal thank you note for the speech from Vladimir Putin and a press release from Renaissance Capital noted that the conference was attended by several Russian officials and corporate leaders.
In 2003, Bill Clinton presented the Golden Plate Award of the International Academy of Achievement in Washington D.C. to billionaire Mikhail Fridman, the founder and owner of the Russia-based Alfa Bank (the bank that was communicating with a server in Trump Tower, leading to the reported wiretapping.) Also, in 2016, Bill Clinton’s Chief of Staff Thomas McLarty III was advising Mikhail Fridman about investing $3 billion in the United States’ healthcare system.
Clinton Foundation staff pushed Hillary Clinton’s State Department to meet with Russian billionaire Viktor Veselberg, who has donated at least $50,000 to the Clinton Foundation.
Gennady Timchenko, Putin ally, acquired several holdings of Clinton donor Tom Steyer’s hedge fund in 2010.
Chelsea Clinton attended the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in 2013 and met with several Russian billionaires.
Many Russian friends and allies of Putin donated to Hillary Clinton's campaign, and to the Clinton Foundation.
John Podesta lobbied on behalf of the Russian Central Bank, and on behalf of the pro-Russian political party in Ukraine that Paul Manafort's ties to which led to his resignation. The revelations about Manafort were provided to the Clinton campaign from the Ukrainian government.
So we've got all these ties from the Clintons to Russian allies of Putin, who are accused of manipulating the presidential campaigns for Trump's benefit. Now, I'm not going to say that the Clinton political machine used their long-standing connections to Russia to frame Trump for Hillary's election loss. But as you posted earlier: there's smoke, smoke, and more smoke, and at a certain point, smoke = fire. So even though I wouldn't say it, you, by your own logic, would have to say Trump's being framed by the Russians at the behest of the Clintons.
(And no, this isn't a defense of Trump. It's a refutation of your 'too many coincidences' bull ****.)