Greg Roman: "Ground and Pound" doesn't win in the NFL

YoloinOhio

Not so subtle shot at Rex? Wonder if he wanted to open it up and Rex said no

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785708/article/greg-roman-ravens-wont-just-be-ground-and-pound

He wanted to install a different offense each week and liked to wait until the last possible second to decide which play to call, all of which ensured that the ten cent headed players in offense would inevitably botch their assignments.

He wanted to install a different offense each week and liked to wait until the last possible second to decide which play to call, all of which ensured that the ten cent headed players in offense would inevitably botch their assignments.

This ^ I agree that "ten cent headed players" are a lot of the issue with this team. Successful franchises build through the draft by finding guys who fit a specific scheme. This franchise has no cohesive vision. We continue to find guys who are athletically gifted but lack all the intangibles of winners. I didn't care for Rex by the end of his tenure here. That doesn't change my opinion that it's sad we had a team full of guys whining that his scheme was "too complicated. There is nothing like not putting any effort into learning.

Not so subtle shot at Rex? Wonder if he wanted to open it up and Rex said no

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785708/article/greg-roman-ravens-wont-just-be-ground-and-pound

I doubt it. Roman had much the same approach in San Francisco. What he didn't have in either place is a QB who was especially efficient.

Very likely his approach has depended on who his QB was. Which makes total sense.

Here's the key quotation:

"'I wouldn't try to pigeonhole us just yet that we're going to try to be ground and pound,' Roman said, via the team's official site. 'Who really wins big doing that? I think you have to have balance. But that doesn't mean we're not going to make people respect us in that phase of the game.'

"Perhaps it was entirely on accident. Roman was described by the interviewer as a 'ground and pound' coordinator earlier in the conversation but that also happened to be the mantra of former Bills head coach Rex Ryan, who always leaned toward a hard-nosed rushing attack."

Edited by Thurman#1

You know what else doesn't win in the NFL? Greg Roman.

Um ... I'd say you're wrong.

This is true, but it is infact what good teams like the Pats do on a week to week basis.