My Running Offseason Plan

MAJBobby

I think this is the best way to do this I will continually edit the main post with changes as I get really into the draft and as the Bills sign players and players fall off because they have been signed.

UPDATED: 15 Feb 2017

To start off I used SPOTRAC particular to look up comparable contracts of the players I am looking to sign as well as to get money of the roster moves I make.

Bills are starting with 44 under contract and Cap space of 26M.

1. Do not pick up Tyrod Taylors Option. Cap Savings 12.1M
  2. Redo or Cut and Re-sign Kyle Williams contract. I am looking at a MIN to save 4M here, but I went with the Cut option so I am saving 6.8M in space
  3. Cut Corey Graham saving 3.7M
  4. Cut Carpenter saving 2.4M

With those Moves it puts the Bills with 40 under contract and cap space this year of 51M.

RFAs and EFRAs that I tender (likely a total of 4M in space used up)

1. Logan Thomas
  2. Ryan Groy
  3. Mike Gillislee
  4. Colton Schmidt
  5. Marcus Roberson
  6. Dez Lewis

Leaves 47 on Contract and roughly 47M in Cap Space

Sign

1. Brain Hoyer, QB - 3 years 12M with a 4M AVV - Here is the vet to bring in to compete with your Rookie and Jones.
  2. Kendall Wright, WR - 4 years 26M with a 6.5M AVV - Reason I went with Wright is I think he is the type of WR this offense would need opposite Sammy, yes he is not the Size guy, however he has great hands, runs very precise and good routes and if very good with the ball in his hand after the catch. Just fits this offense a bit, and I decided to spend a little more money in the WR spot to get that long term No 2 WR.
  3. A.J. Klien, LBer, 5 years 21.5M with a 4.3AVV - this contract I must say might be high, but it was hard to really figure out his market value but think this will be close. This makes all the sense in the world to bring a guy in that knows the system of defense and can help ease the transition into it. New coaches do this all the time, there will be a couple more as my signings go on.
  4. Keyvon Webster, CB - 4 years 8M with a 2M AVV - good Zone Corner coming from a good defense in Denver.
  5. Mike Remmers, RT - 5 years 24M with a 4.8M AVV - Solid in pass pro and will upgrade that, not nearly as good in RB as Mills was, however not the tire fire Mills was in Pass Protection. This will upgrade the RT position greatly at not that big of a cost.
  6. Colin Jones, CB - 2 years 3M with a 1.5M AVV - Depth Zone CB coming from CAR so again knows the system and plays well inside it.
  7. John Cryprien, S - 4 years 22M with a 5.5M AVV - when people talk safeties in this class they often overlook him because of the Big Names. However he is a very good safety and will upgrade that position immediately, need a good player back there with the ? of Williams. Cannot rely on rookies at both S spots if something happens to Aaron.

After those Signings puts 54 on contract and still have roughly 18.4M in cap space if I use the AVV. Which will allow re-signs of key players like Sammy etc before they hit their last year of their deal.

Draft (only able to do three rounds at this point)

1st - Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson - He is one of 3 QBs that I think you can build around in the class. I also think he will be there at 10. Other QBs I am interested in are Trubinsky and Mahomes. I am going with Watson in this scenario though.

2nd - Budda Baker, S Washington - An elite playmaker, he is always around the ball can impact both in the passing game and run game. Love his explosiveness and instincts. Little on the smallish side for a safety but he is a "Football Player" and this team needs football players.

3rd - Alex Anzalone - OLB Florida - Great Combination of Size and Speed, great in coverage and fluid hips will be fine at the SLB matched up on TEs. I think he will turn out to be a stud in this system, another football player. Gives max effort and versatility as he played both inside and outside in Florida.

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you keeping Dez Lewis around ?

Camp Fodder he is a EFRA so it is what 550K non guaranteed with the tender. He can get cut in camp easy have to be at 90 at some point

Really I could add another 8M AVV UFA as well, just didn't see one I liked right now.

Could do DE Charles Johnson, Car at about 6M AVV so like 3 years 18M as well but I figured the rest of my 18.1M in space would be used for Sammy re-sign

Or another WR in UFA like Quick or Britt

Edited by MAJBobby

I think this is the best way to do this I will continually edit the main post with changes as I get really into the draft and as the Bills sign players and players fall off because they have been signed.

To start off I used SPOTRAC particular to look up comparable contracts of the players I am looking to sign as well as to get money of the roster moves I make.

2. Redo or Cut and Re-sign Kyle Williams contract. I am looking at a MIN to save 4M here, but I went with the Cut option so I am saving 6.8M in space

With those Moves it puts the Bills with 40 under contract and cap space this year of 51M.

1. Logan Thomas
  2. Ryan Groy
  3. Mike Gillislee
  4. Colton Schmidt
  5. Marcus Roberson
  6. Dez Lewis
  7. Alejando Villanueva

Sign

1. Brain Hoyer, QB - 3 years 12M with a 4M AVV - Here is the vet to bring in to compete with your Rookie and Jones.
  2. Kendall Wright, WR - 4 years 26M with a 6.5M AVV - Reason I went with Wright is I think he is the type of WR this offense would need opposite Sammy, yes he is not the Size guy, however he has great hands, runs very precise and good routes and if very good with the ball in his hand after the catch. Just fits this offense a bit, and I decided to spend a little more money in the WR spot to get that long term No 2 WR.
  3. A.J. Klien, LBer, 5 years 21.5M with a 4.3AVV - this contract I must say might be high, but it was hard to really figure out his market value but think this will be close. This makes all the sense in the world to bring a guy in that knows the system of defense and can help ease the transition into it. New coaches do this all the time, there will be a couple more as my signings go on.
  4. Keyvon Webster, CB - 4 years 8M with a 2M AVV - good Zone Corner coming from a good defense in Denver.
  5. Mike Remmers, RT - 5 years 24M with a 4.8M AVV - Solid in pass pro and will upgrade that, not nearly as good in RB as Mills was, however not the tire fire Mills was in Pass Protection. This will upgrade the RT position greatly at not that big of a cost.
  6. Colin Jones, CB - 2 years 3M with a 1.5M AVV - Depth Zone CB coming from CAR so again knows the system and plays well inside it.
  7. John Cryprien, S - 4 years 22M with a 5.5M AVV - when people talk safeties in this class they often overlook him because of the Big Names. However he is a very good safety and will upgrade that position immediately, need a good player back there with the ? of Williams. Cannot rely on rookies at both S spots if something happens to Aaron.

After those Signings puts 54 on contract and still have roughly 18.4M in cap space if I use the AVV. Which will allow re-signs of key players like Sammy etc before they hit their last year of their deal.

1st - Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson - He is one of 3 QBs that I think you can build around in the class. I also think he will be there at 10. Other QBs I am interested in are Trubinsky and Mahomes. I am going with Watson in this scenario though.

2nd - Budda Baker, S Washington - An elite playmaker, he is always around the ball can impact both in the passing game and run game. Love his explosiveness and instincts. Little on the smallish side for a safety but he is a "Football Player" and this team needs football players.

3rd - Alex Anzalone - OLB Florida - Great Combination of Size and Speed, great in coverage and fluid hips will be fine at the SLB matched up on TEs. I think he will turn out to be a stud in this system, another football player. Gives max effort and versatility as he played both inside and outside in Florida.

Just a little perspective for some of you cap-panicked folks:

The Bills are currently scheduled to have about 70M in cap room going into the 2018 offseason..........and that's counting Tyrod Taylor, among others, as IN that figure.

They have plenty of money to extend Sammy Watkins going forward.......there isn't really a big need for a cap haircut this offseason they can cut Graham, Carpenter, Patrick Lewis and Eric Wood and save $10M and it would be of little future consequence to get another $5M each in restructures of Cordy Glenn and Marcel Dareus.

Bang......there is $50M to work with regarding Taylor, Gilmore, other free agents and draft picks without kicking enough down the road to make much difference.

The cap issue is very temporary.

Just a little perspective for some of you cap-panicked folks:

The Bills are currently scheduled to have about 70M in cap room going into the 2018 offseason..........and that's counting Tyrod Taylor, among others, as IN that figure.

They have plenty of money to extend Sammy Watkins going forward.......there isn't really a big need for a cap haircut this offseason they can cut Graham, Carpenter, Patrick Lewis and Eric Wood and save $10M and it would be of little future consequence to get another $5M each in restructures of Cordy Glenn and Marcel Dareus.

Bang......there is $50M to work with regarding Taylor, Gilmore, other free agents and draft picks without kicking enough down the road to make much difference.

The cap issue is very temporary.

But if you really want perspective That is only with 25 players on Contract. And 54.79% of the allocated Cap going to Taylor, Dareus, Glenn and Hughes

Those moves you mentioned do not bring in 24M in cap space. you said bring in 15m so that would have 41M in space and then still 40 under contract and kick Marcel Horrendous contract even further down the road. all for what a AVG at best QB to keep him on the team?

Edited by MAJBobby

1. Logan Thomas
  2. Ryan Groy
  3. Mike Gillislee
  4. Colton Schmidt
  5. Marcus Roberson
  6. Dez Lewis
  7. Alejando Villanueva

Sign

thanks for the hard work...a few thoughts:

- Alejandro Villanueva is the Steelers' starting LT; I have no idea why he's in the Spotrac system as a Bills' ERFA

- The contracts you're showing for Cyprien and Remmers are really low-ball--Remmers and Ricky Wagner are the same age, and both have started for 2 years. Spotrac has Wagner estimated at nearly $7M AAV, so I can't see Remmers taking less than $6M, let alone $4.8. Same story for Cyprien, whose numbers are better than Rodney McLeod, who got $7M AAV from Philly last offseason

- I'd be pleasantly shocked if Budda Baker is there in the 40's

Overall though, I think the plan would be a few steps backward.

But if you really want perspective That is only with 25 players on Contract. And 54.79% of the allocated Cap going to Taylor, Dareus, Glenn and Hughes

Those moves you mentioned do not bring in 24M in cap space. you said bring in 15m so that would have 41M in space and then still 40 under contract and kick Marcel Horrendous contract even further down the road. all for what a AVG at best QB to keep him on the team?

Yeah and a bunch more of those guys will be gone.

You think Aaron Williams will still be there when they can save $4.4M by cutting him? He's liable to be gone THIS offseason.

Or how about Marcus Easley. :lol:

Cutting Incognito could save them $6.5M.........so he'll be gone too.

Most of the bottom of that roster will be filled out with young, cheap players...........so you really don't need $100M in cap space 12 months from now.

- Alejandro Villanueva is the Steelers' starting LT; I have no idea why he's in the Spotrac system as a Bills' ERFA

- The contracts you're showing for Cyprien and Remmers are really low-ball--Remmers and Ricky Wagner are the same age, and both have started for 2 years. Spotrac has Wagner estimated at nearly $7M AAV, so I can't see Remmers taking less than $6M, let alone $4.8. Same story for Cyprien, whose numbers are better than Rodney McLeod, who got $7M AAV from Philly last offseason

Appreciate the feedback. Those contracts could be off. a bit, but even if I push them up to say 7 and 7 AVV I still can get the entire offseason plan. I did this kind of earlier than I normally do this year that is why I am making it a running. I will typically post this after the TAG period. There I will be able to see more refined values

Thinking that filling key positions with middling talent is an answer for a team with a losing culture like the Bills is a common offseason "on paper" mistake.

Like "if we just get a little better play from our safeties we will win X more games".

Fans gain more courage in unsound decisions the further they get away from the actual season.

We are about at the point where Brian Hoyer is a solution to all the things Tyrod does wrong because Bills WR's are just always open because they are that good........then about another month from "Cardale is going to be more productive than Tyrod was"........then soon after Logan Thomas will be the next Jimmy Graham and Kolby Listenbee will be considered a #2 WR. :lol:

Thinking that filling key positions with middling talent is an answer for a team with a losing culture like the Bills is a common offseason "on paper" mistake.

Like "if we just get a little better play from our safeties we will win X more games".

Fans gain more courage in unsound decisions the further they get away from the actual season.

We are about at the point where Brian Hoyer is a solution to all the things Tyrod does wrong because Bills WR's are just always open because they are that good........then about another month from "Cardale is going to be more productive than Tyrod was"........then soon after Logan Thomas will be the next Jimmy Graham and Kolby Listenbee will be considered a #2 WR. :lol:

Where in any of that is not better.

Remmers >>>> Mills

Cryprien >>>> ANY Safety (vice Healthy Williams) on this roster

Wright >>>> Any WR on the roster this past year not named Watkins

Klien >>>> P Brown

So where am I saying Hoyer is an answer. Yes we did get worse at CB I think losing Gilmore, but I just am not gonna give him 15M AVV to play in a predominately zone system

And Yes Jones and Williams are better than our current DEPTH at CB

Edited by MAJBobby

1. Logan Thomas
  2. Ryan Groy
  3. Mike Gillislee
  4. Colton Schmidt
  5. Marcus Roberson
  6. Dez Lewis
  7. Alejando Villanueva

Sign

What are you doing with Gilmore? Is Keyvon Webster intended to be his replacement?

Where in any of that is not better.

Remmers >>>> Mills

Cryprien >>>> ANY Safety (vice Healthy Williams) on this roster

Wright >>>> Any WR on the roster this past year not named Watkins

Klien >>>> P Brown

So where am I saying Hoyer is an answer. Yes we did get worse at CB I think losing Gilmore, but I just am not gonna give him 15M AVV to play in a predominately zone system

And Yes Jones and Williams are better than our current DEPTH at CB

If you retained Tyrod you have no need to spend like that on a good FA RT...........7th in scoring, 1st in rushing, fewest turnovers in NFL history all with Tyrod and the woeful Mills at RT.

People think replacing TT wouldn't be hard but what wouldn't be hard is finding someone to replace Mills for chicken feed.

Cyprien I could see that contract........Klein is probably more in the $3M range like Zach Brown was last year.

Kendall Wright probably stays in Tenn but if you go with a QB like Hoyer you will need to spend on a guy like that.

I'd keep Taylor and wait for a big wideout like Brandon Marshall to come available for less AAV and a shorter deal.........if Taylor is the QB I like bigger targets inside the hashes........TE's.

1. Logan Thomas
  2. Ryan Groy
  3. Mike Gillislee
  4. Colton Schmidt
  5. Marcus Roberson
  6. Dez Lewis
  7. Alejando Villanueva

Sign

Hoyer is not half the QB that TT is and will put us in a position to win 3 or 4 games next year.

If that is your goal then get rid of Darius first and save the money and embarrassments he will put the team through again and again

That's where I stand.

I get the "woe is our cap" feeling but if you want to empower a milquetoast HC hire you don't do that by giving him significantly less playmakers to worth with.

The NFL is a matchup league.......putting JAGs all over the field is a good way to field a bad team.

The one thing they did RIGHT with Rex......for a change......was bolstering the roster to try to get him off to a good head start.

They mis-appropriated the funds........but if Rex had done even a decent job he'd be coming off back-to-back playoff appearances because they kinda' lucked out on Tyrod, the OL, Gillislee/Karlos and guys like Zach Brown and Lorax.

Asking McD to start a rookie QB or broken down QB and then removing Gilmore and Zach Brown too is asking for a two-and-done tenure for McD.

That's where I stand.

I get the "woe is our cap" feeling but if you want to empower a milquetoast HC hire you don't do that by giving him significantly less playmakers to worth with.

The NFL is a matchup league.......putting JAGs all over the field is a good way to field a bad team.

The one thing they did RIGHT with Rex......for a change......was bolstering the roster to try to get him off to a good head start.

They mis-appropriated the funds........but if Rex had done even a decent job he'd be coming off back-to-back playoff appearances because they kinda' lucked out on Tyrod, the OL, Gillislee/Karlos and guys like Zach Brown and Lorax.

Asking McD to start a rookie QB or broken down QB and then removing Gilmore and Zach Brown too is asking for a two-and-done tenure for McD.

One mistake not worth repeating would be spending tight to the cap in the coaches first year. They should see who fits and who doesn't. Most of it is dare we say "common sense" but after Clay and that mini spending spree they were unable to fill some nessecary holes on last years team.