Safety Prospects

simpleman

I think most would agree one of our needs this year will be safety. Even if Williams decides to come back, can we count on his health.? Cory is slipping and just does not seem to be worth almost 4 million in cap space. Our backups simply are not that good.

I think we need to release Cory and draft a Safety in the first 3 rounds. And we need to find a decent FA safety that has more value for his cap space. Who would you draft and where? What FA would you go after, and why? What about Byrd and McKelvin, would either fit our new defensive scheme if the price was right?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/safety/

http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Safeties-2017-Draft.asp

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/FS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/SS

I'd be willing to draft 2 if we could pick up a couple of extra picks through trades. I really like this safety class - there are 3 potential pro-bowl types for me (Hooker, Adams and Baker) and I can see at many as 10 guys who I think could be solid NFL starters.... most of whom could start year 1.

This is a great S draft. I like Tony Jefferson a lot as a FA. I think that you could potentially get Jefferson, Zach Brown and maybe even Jeremy Kerley for the cap hit on franchising Gilmore. I'm not saying what to do either way, just that it can probably be done.

Or for the saving on Tyrod (I know you wouldn't go that way but the same maths applies).

Or for the saving on Tyrod (I know you wouldn't go that way but the same maths applies).

Sure, I would just assume chase Eric Berry if you are going that route. If Tyrod isn't coming back there is zero reason to pay for another QB (unless by some miracle Romo comes). Pay a few million to McCown, keep Cardale and draft a guy. You shouldn't spend $10M or whatever on Cutler or whoever. That would be really stupid.

Sure, I would just assume chase Eric Berry if you are going that route. If Tyrod isn't coming back there is zero reason to pay for another QB (unless by some miracle Romo comes). Pay a few million to McCown, keep Cardale and draft a guy. You shouldn't spend $10M or whatever on Cutler or whoever. That would be really stupid.

Agree on the Quarterback point. I'd rather still target a 2nd tier safety and spend on RT though in that scenario.

Agree on the Quarterback point. I'd rather still target a 2nd tier safety and spend on RT though in that scenario.

I don't disagree. This isn't a good OT draft and it's a very good S draft. Would you rather have Berry or Gilmore? I'm assuming that the price will be similar? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Safeties are among the slowest to develop in pro football. Anyone drafted in 2017 should not be counted as a factor. We are too late for a safety in 2016 unless we get tony what's his name. Or somehow cut Gilmore and Taylor and everyone to get berry

I don't disagree. This isn't a good OT draft and it's a very good S draft.

I wanted Daryl worely or James bradbwrry who both ended up in Carolina over Seymour. Both couldz with their skill set, play safety in a dime package. Seymour cannot.

Too late now, but just saying. I like those two even those they'll never be all stars

I don't disagree. This isn't a good OT draft and it's a very good S draft. Would you rather have Berry or Gilmore? I'm assuming that the price will be similar?

after your edit. You have a good point that youve brought up before. Berry is top 3 talent. Gilmore is not. Paying same price for top 3 talent in a position that is less important than the other is a tough trade off. Especially when looking at capability of upgrading.

In a world where we can get an able body starter in the draft at cb I'd lose Gilmore for berry. But its more likely we get that need filled at safety than cb even if not directly on 2017

I would be pretty excited about taking Hooker @ 10 then pairing him with Budda Baker in the 2nd. IMO those two would compliment each other very well and could make the position a major team strength for a long time. If we are mainly running zone, a nickle package of Darby - Graham - Williams - Hooker - Baker could be pretty interesting in that scheme.

I saw that the Bill's website mentioned T.J. McDonald as possibility. If A Williams does decide to return, what are the views on him? He may not be available at the beginning of the season for legal issues, but if AW goes down in the season would he be a decent fit? I don't remember seeing him play so I have no opinion.

I don't disagree. This isn't a good OT draft and it's a very good S draft. Would you rather have Berry or Gilmore? I'm assuming that the price will be similar?

I'd rather have Berrry. He's a true playmaker with the heart of a champion. If we're going to pay someone like a top 3 player at his position, I'd rather him be a top 3 player at his position. While I'd normally take a stud CB over a stud safety, I'd take berry over Gilmore based on the player as opposed to position. I may be biased as when berry was in college I thought he would end up a top 3-5 safety of all time. I think he's an absolute stud

I'd rather have Berrry. He's a true playmaker with the heart of a champion. If we're going to pay someone like a top 3 player at his position, I'd rather him be a top 3 player at his position. While I'd normally take a stud CB over a stud safety, I'd take berry over Gilmore based on the player as opposed to position. I may be biased as when berry was in college I thought he would end up a top 3-5 safety of all time. I think he's an absolute stud

I think that I feel the same way. Gilmore plays a tougher position but think that Berry is the better player. It is an interesting question. Sportrac has Berry at 4 years and $36.5M and Gilmore at 5 years $73,285,859. I don't think that they have a guaranteed number that they use. If this were the case it is a no brainer IMO. Even if you had Berry at 4 years for $40M that is a better idea than paying Gilmore $14M a year. I think that ultimately their contracts end up closer. Berry is a franchise tag target again I would think unless they decide to use it on Poe.

Guys like X.Woods (La Tech), N.Gerry (Nebraska), J.Johnson (BC), D.King (Iowa) or L.Jerome (St Francis) could all be immediate contributors at safety in the 3rd to 5th round. They could all fit and there are probably another group of players available later in the draft with potential also. No need to spend big money for a safety for this defense. Investing in the front 7 and playmakers for the offense would be more probable in the early rounds of the draft.