How do you think we fit the 4-3?

Mikie2times

LB is the area that concerns me the most. Across the board the Panthers had elite LB coverage. If we can sign Brown he fits the bill as far as a cover guy. I don't know about Ragland in this role prior to his injury let alone now. Again, better fit for the Rex. Lot's of debate on how his cover ability will show but I think we can at least say we didn't draft him for coverage as his foremost skill. Alexander, if we sign him, would seem to be a better fit at DE? Think so, but if nothing else another guy who can't hang his hat on coverage ability being his best skill.

We have a very little depth at LB. The defensive line could be very good. Alexander, Lawson, Kyle, MD, Hughes, and Washington. We need some things to go our way for that to happen. I see S, QB, WR, in most the draft threads. How do you think we address LB?

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DL I feel good about. They are a little thin but I like the top. The LBs have me a little nervous because I don't trust their range outside of ZB and who knows if he will be back. I am not a big Ragland guy but he's going to have to be good. He may have to shed a few pounds to play in this defense. Preston Brown is a decent football player, that's what he is. The LB corp isn't a strength at this point imo.

gthis thread has conversation going on in many threads

reggie ragland - sam

zach brown - will

______ - mike

ragland at mike could be scary the average fan would love it though because he'll get his stats and all but it's a mistake at this point - at least in my eyes

gthis thread has conversation going on in many threads

reggie ragland - sam

zach brown - will

______ - mike

ragland at mike could be scary the average fan would love it though because he'll get his stats and all but it's a mistake at this point - at least in my eyes

Reuben Foster is the mike ;)

Any chance he is on the board in the 2nd after this surgery? It seems like every year a guy or 2 falls a lot lower than expected. Foster is too gifted I think but it happens a lot, see Myles Jack last year.

I doubt it. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the top 14 picks. Jack's medical history cast concern on his longevity in the league, a bit different imo.

I would be really surprised too. I guess that it's wishful thinking that he will be the slide guy. He's too good for that.

Agreed, but all the more reason to hope for a trade back for picks. Hope some team falls in love with a guy.

The D-line is set to play 4-3 or a 4 down-lineman nickel. It allows KW and MD to be penetrating and disruptive DTs. Washington and Lawson will be fine as 4-3 base DE's and Hughes will slide down and play DE in the nickel.

The key is Z. Brown or another LB that can cover either in FA or the draft. Bring back Lorax as a situational pass-rusher and rotating nickel DE.

Ragland and Brown can fight for the MLB spot. My hunch is neither will be any good and will be off the team in 2018.

They need to add another LB or two in the draft that can run.

And none of this addresses the nightmare that is the safety position. AW coming back would be huge. Malik Hooker would be great at 10, even better if he fell to 15-18 because of the recent surgery announcement.

The LBs will be a major issue unless the team is able to BOTH re-sign Zach Brown AND bring in at least one other 30-40 snaps/game player.

Maybe Ragland can get his weight down to below 240 and play at that level, but I'm not confident about it.

Zach can play the Will, but I really do think he's going to get serious money on the open market ($7M AAV or maybe more).

The starting DL of Lawson-Dareus-Kyle-Hughes will be fine, as will the interior backups of Washington/Worthy--that Washington can also give snaps at the EDGE on run downs is a bonus, but they definitely need a 3rd pass rusher assuming LorAx can't be re-signed at a reasonable rate--i.e. $4M for a one-year deal (FWIW, Spotrac has him valued at $6.5M AAV).