Whaley wants Cardale to be 2017 starter

Maybe it's DW plan to stink for Darnold in 2018.

that is the only logical idea behind this.

I never heard one word from the team that Cardale is getting close or even remotely NFL ready, it's been all he's a project with a ways to go.

The idea of Cardale being a starter in the NFL after what we have seen of him this year is completely ridiculous. Seriously.

Come on guys. Nobody thinks this is a real possibility. Do you?

Only way he would earn the start is if he improves drastically in camp and the preseason. He was the 3rd string this year. Friggin 3rd. He couldn't beat EJ.

In my opinion there is zero chance that Whaley honestly wants the coach to start Cardale at this point.

Tankeration

and the haters just continue to ignore that

I wonder if Whaley tells Vic these things just to see how the fans react?

I'm sure this isn't directed at me, as I've never criticized the offense, just the QB that we need to drive us down the field and score when the game is on the line. The problem wasn't scoring points. The problem was scoring points when we NEEDED to score points. The problem was getting first down when we NEEDED to get first downs. If you guys didn't see that, then I'm not sure what to say.

I understand our defense sucked and if we had had a better defense we wouldn't have had to score or get certain first downs. Some of us want a QB capable of leading a drive to win the game regardless of defense. Like I've maintained all along, I don't think tyrod sucks. I just don't think he's our answer to winning a super bowl. Sure, he could get us to the playoffs.....but I don't just want to make the playoffs, or win a playoff game or even make the super bowl. All I want is to win a super bowl. If you think TT can do that.....well, good luck

All this, Amen brother :worthy::worthy:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do great QB's hit the open market. Yeah, I know...Manning, Brees, etc., but that's rare and there's often a reason (neck, labrum, etc.). Draft our guy for a 17 year run, then I'll attend the HOF entry 5 years later. God, I hope I live that long!

The only way to go. Outliers? Sure, but, draft your QB.

Why are you so offensive to everyone that disagrees with your opinion?

My guess is overcompensation for some shortcoming.

Edited by Cripple Creek

I'm sure this isn't directed at me, as I've never criticized the offense, just the QB that we need to drive us down the field and score when the game is on the line. The problem wasn't scoring points. The problem was scoring points when we NEEDED to score points. The problem was getting first down when we NEEDED to get first downs. If you guys didn't see that, then I'm not sure what to say.

I understand our defense sucked and if we had had a better defense we wouldn't have had to score or get certain first downs. Some of us want a QB capable of leading a drive to win the game regardless of defense. Like I've maintained all along, I don't think tyrod sucks. I just don't think he's our answer to winning a super bowl. Sure, he could get us to the playoffs.....but I don't just want to make the playoffs, or win a playoff game or even make the super bowl. All I want is to win a super bowl. If you think TT can do that.....well, good luck

Wasn't directed it at you, I actually agree completely with this post.

The Bills were not built to come from behind. The flip side is that they were built EXTREMELY well to protect a lead. If they got a lead their running game should have controlled the game. If we are to rank "what went wrong in 2016" scoring isn't high on the list. For me it would be coaching, defense, injuries, passing game and kicking game probably in that order.

I don't think that you can win a Super Bowl with TT but you can win with him. You just don't win because of him. The league has guys like that. Every so often they do win a Super Bowl (Flacco most recently). I am fine either way but we need to all understand that the offense will almost certainly take a step back in 2017 if he goes. The goal will be to take 2 steps forward in a couple of years. If he stays it's because they don't want to take that step back.

Yup, truth is sometimes poison, to those unwilling to see it.

If Tyrod stays for five years or close, his price per year would be very reasonable. If he stays for one year, his price per year would be one of the all-time highest in league history, one year for $30.5 mill. If he stays for two years - more likely - it would be two years for $40.5 mill. And that is indeed franchise QB money. And the price doesn't change just because you can put some of the purchase on plastic and pay later. It's still franchise QB money.

And an awful lot of that scoring came the superb run game instead of the substandard pass game.

So there's not really a contradiction at all.

Not that I think the odds are terrific that Cardale would turn us into an offensive powerhouse overnight, but IMHO we know Tyrod's ceiling and we don't know Cardale's. And I'm just not all that worried about next year. I don't see any way, even with Romo if he stayed healthy, that we would be competitive for a Super Bowl. So I'd rather see them worrying more about two or three years down the road. And I don't see those years including Tyrod. I could be wrong, especially if he re-negotiates, but that's the way it looks right now.

Tyrod plays a HUGE role in that superb running game. The running game will be nowhere near the same with another QB. Teams can defense it differently without him. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yeah, Darnold played well in a part season and won a bowl game against a less talented team...........not amazing.

What were people here thinking when Cardale stepped in and won the Big Ten Championship and two playoff games to lead Ohio State to a title?

Once in a generation type talent, right?

A little more exposure USUALLY leads to considerably tamped expectations.

To me.......I've seen all of these "super prospects" whose stock has crashed with more exposure before.....this years class has one in Deshaun Watson.

IMO perhaps the most gifted of the 2018 bunch is one who never gets mentioned.......Deondre Francois.

But none of these guys is Andrew Luck.

Planning to "suck" to get them is dumb.......the only very highly picked QB's to win a SB in the past 18 seasons were Peyton and Eli.

The best run organizations in the league have good QB's but they didn't tank to get them.

As to your point about Darnold: how soon people forget.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/205990-matt-barkley-better-nfl-prospect-than-andrew-luck-says-one-coach

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/matt-barkley-2013-mock-draft-043012

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/11/25/2585764/nfl-draft-2012-mel-kiper-loves-matt-barkley-landry-jones-on-latest

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2011/12/22/matt-barkleys-decision-huge-blow-to-2012-qb-draft-class

Now this I will own. Reluctantly.

As a former Trent Edwards advocate, I feel your pain. Edited by dave mcbride

:lol: literally laughed out loud

I like Cardale but DW has been a big part of a front office that has missed on guys like Russell Wilson, David Carr and Dak Prescott......passed right under his nose....but he trusts his eyes on Cardale? Hmmm :flirt::lol:

You mean along with every other team? In Wilson and Prescotts case 3 and 4 times?

Yea it's pretty funny.

The logic seems to be yes the defense blew chunks last year but our QB needs to be good enough to make up for the ****ty defense.... like Aaron Rogers does, so let's cut Tyrod and tank to see if we can maybe find an Aaron Rodgers.

Stupidity at its finest. Sadly I wouldn't put it past Whaley to have this mentality too.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/11/sports-illustrated-tyrod-taylor-not-solution-bills/

"Until this team finds its quarterback, management will keep making shortsighted head-coaching hires every two or three years. Tyrod Taylor is not the solution," Benoit writes. "He's mobile and that's it. He doesn't have the anticipatory instincts or accuracy to compensate for mediocre throwing velocity. Taylor's also not comfortable in the pocket, which leads to his breaking down before the pressure even arrives and renders him unable to see open receivers."

This is from a guy who studies game film of every team for 16+ weeks a year. But Whaley's an idiot for wanting to give this team a better QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Interested to read Badol's views on Rosen and Darnold and the other likely 2018 QBs. I don't watch as much college football as a lot of you over there so I tend to focus on the top teams with draftable prospects (particularly at QB) that upcoming year.

But I wouldn't be surprised based on what he and Blokes have said if we are not hearing by October about a 2018 QB class with no elite prospects.

Let me be clear that is not my assessment I haven't watched enough. But Blokes and Badol both know their onions.

So, seeing a QB that has demonstrated an inability to :

read defenses.

See open receivers

Come from behind or even offer any semblance of hope that we could, in pressure situations

Is stupidity.

Jumping to the immediate conclusion that a team with a defense in transition and a new coaching staff is tanking because they might agree with the above observations?

And ,being CERTAIN that starting Cardale assures the offense no production is smart?

I guess those of us who realized the season was over 8 games in last year were also stupid?

How about 11 games in when we weren't buying the" We can still make the playoffs." Threads?

Man, I wish I could be that smart😜

This "inferior team" received 9 Pro Bowl invites and were top 10 in scoring. People who act like we are one notch above the Cleveland Browns are not even worth paying attention to. This team has been within reach of the playoffs for several years now. Blowing it up, tanking, is not what you do.

If you are going to tank, release all your players and field a team 53 scrubs. Don't ask players like Shady and Jerry Hughes to waste their careers on this team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

How about keeping Tyrod as back-up? Not like Cardale is making $20mil/yr?

I think I'd still rather have McCown, Cardale & a rookie heading into the season.

Go Bills!!!!!

That's not an option. TT will be starting somewhere. If the Bills keep him Cardale won't play ahead of him.

Your 2nd scenario is a possibility. That's probably what the QB room will look like if TT goes. I thought all along that if he stayed a veteran back-up was most likely. I'm changing my thoughts on that some. I am starting to think that if he stays it will be Cardale and a rookie behind him (not one of the top 4).

So, seeing a QB that has demonstrated an inability to :

read defenses.

See open receivers

Come from behind or even offer any semblance of hope that we could, in pressure situations

Is stupidity.

Jumping to the immediate conclusion that a team with a defense in transition and a new coaching staff is tanking because they might agree with the above observations?

And ,being CERTAIN that starting Cardale assures the offense no production is smart?

I guess those of us who realized the season was over 8 games in last year were also stupid?

How about 11 games in when we weren't buying the" We can still make the playoffs." Threads?

Man, I wish I could be that smart😜

That last part is a little odd. If not for a 56 yard FG at the buzzer in week 16 the Bills probably would have been in the playoffs.

I'd like to see a season of Tyrod with a stable of healthy receivers.

Cutting Taylor to sign/draft another QB would at best, be a lateral move,and would more likely extend their negative playoff 'streak'

It is not Taylor's fault that the Bills signed him to such a ridiculous contract.

I say suck it up, and keep him for another season.

If it was only keeping him one more year they would do that. It isn't though. It is a minimum of 2 probably 3 years of commitment.