NY Post football writer fired for anti-Trump tweets

Trumps disapproval rating is something like 53%. If everyone who said something negative about Trump got fired, our economy would collapse.

I'm not sure why this is on TBD. But I'm all for freedom of speech.

Something negative? He compared him to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor working for a New York magazine. FOS doesn't protect you from employers.

Something negative? He compared him to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor working for a New York magazine. FOS doesn't protect you from employers.

The other factor is $$$. Although there are plenty of people who don't like the POTUS, there are plenty that do. Although there is a popular narrative that those who like the POTUS are uneducated, illiterates, they actually buy stuff. So, insulting a large segment of your market is rarely good for a business, even if that segment is not a majority of your customer base.

Although I have strong views politically, I don't think I have posted a single political item on FB throughout the past 7 years for this very reason: If you want people to hear your message/sales pitch/cause, you better not dilute your communications with secondary items. It is likely that politics is not a great focal point of their sports coverage, so they cut their losses. I think it is noteworthy because we've gotten so accustomed to our sports coverage being politicized (see ESPN).

I think the OP may have been noting the connection to sports journalism. There is also the common thread of Rex/Trump, Trump trying to buy the Bills, etc.

Trumps disapproval rating is something like 53%. If everyone who said something negative about Trump got fired, our economy would collapse.

Me too. Good for the NY Post for exercising some.

it is tiring watching all the anti-trump speech.. doesnt the dude from the paper realize he is insulting over the half the country? .. regardless of the "freedom of speech " issue? i think it is a business decision.. JMHO

Edited by dwight in philly

it is tiring watching all the anti-trump speech.. doesnt the dude from the paper realize he is insulting over the half the country? .. regardless of the "freedom of speech " issue? i think it is a business decision.. JMHO

Couldn't let that one pass...the guy got less than 50% of those who actually got off their dead azzes and voted. So, No, "dude" isn't insulting over half the country, not even close. Meanwhile, the Prez constantly insults the intelligence of all the citizens.

Couldn't let that one pass...the guy got less than 50% of those who actually got off their dead azzes and voted. So, No, "dude" isn't insulting over half the country, not even close. Meanwhile, the Prez constantly insults the intelligence of all the citizens.

ok.. i get people dont like trump.. my point is the guy writes for a newspaper, he covers football.. not an opinionated political writer.. whether you want to face it or not, lots of football fans voted for trump.. actually like him.. if im the owner of a newspaper i dont want to turn off paying customers.. hopefully you grasp that point, not just predictably look at this as a trump hate or love issue.

Edited by dwight in philly

He got 46%. Not even close? C'mon bro.

does it hurt every time trump appears on TV? Are you like that one chubby annoying girl from Girls who can't eat? Does it hurt that there is no lube as trump repeatedly invades your safe space?

There is no freedom of speech in employment. And this is the media/news. We tolerate too damn much bias in our news today which let's idiots hide behind **** like #fakenews, DNC leaks (not hacks!) and all sorts of reasons why such a vile disgusting person could ever take a nomination of the Democrats as Hillar Clinton did. Instead, in disgust and outrage over how poor of a choice she was America did what was right and kept her away. Now we have Trump and I blame the Democrats.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about what he wrote, what happened to him, or anything in between, the bottom line is this: our country is the most divided it's been in probably 20 years, and the media has played a role.

This guy will get a job at a publication that hates Trump. He'll probably make more money. He'll be gloriously surrounded by like-minded people who all believe what he believes, and he'll be pampered and loved and appreciated by those like-minded people until he dies.

He'll get a Debra Messing autograph, and he'll make the rounds on late night TV, and probably even be on SNL in one capacity or another. He'll write columns for HuffPo and DailyKos and get a private invitation to the Grammys, to sit with Beyonce and party with Jay Z.

It's a bold career move and will pay off in spades.