If you enjoy movies that make you think

ajzepp

Check out 'I Heart Huckabees'. It didn't get a ton of press but it has a solid cast, some very good dialogue, intelligent humor, and a satisfying conclusion. It was directed by the same guy who did 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. If you like a movie that makes you think but also allows you to laugh, give it a look.

You hand me until you said "The Royal Tenenbaums." What a waste of $7.25 that was. Great cast, but the dark humor wasn't really humor. That movie just plain out disappointed me.

255928[/snapback]

Can you say plotless and pointless?

The writer of those movies should be hauled out and shot for crimes against fiction.

You hand me until you said "The Royal Tenenbaums." What a waste of $7.25 that was. Great cast, but the dark humor wasn't really humor. That movie just plain out disappointed me.

255928[/snapback]

I actually was disappointed in 'Tenenbaums', too......but most people seem to have liked it, so I threw it out there :doh: I liked 'Huckabees' much more than TRT.

I actually was disappointed in 'Tenenbaums', too......but most people seem to have liked it, so I threw it out there :doh:  I liked 'Huckabees' much more than TRT.

255934[/snapback]

Who are these people and what sick southern incest town do they come from?

Can you say plotless and pointless?

The writer of those movies should be hauled out and shot for crimes against fiction.

255931[/snapback]

Well you would be killing innocent, talented, funny guys. First off, this thread is ridiculous, because I Heart Huckabees was written and directed by David O Russell, who wrote and directed a few excellent films like Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster and Spanking The Monkey, but had zero to do with The Royal Tenenbaums (which I thought was fairly amusing although plotless). If you shot the guy who wrote The Royal Tenenbaums, you would be shooting Wes Anderson, who had nothing to do with I Heart Huckabees but did write and direct The Life Acquatic recently. It would also piss me off because Anderson did one of my favorite little movies, Rushmore, in which Bill Murray was absolutely hysterical. Anderson also did Bottle Rocket, which wasn't horrible.

Well you would be killing innocent, talented, funny guys. First off, this thread is ridiculous, because I Heart Huckabees was written and directed by David O Russell, who wrote and directed a few excellent films like Three kings and Flirting With Disaser and Spanking The Monkey, but had zero to do with The Royal Tenenbaums (which I thought was fairly amusing although plotless). If you shot the guy who wrote The Royal Tenenbaums, you would be shooting Wes Anderson, who had nothing to do with I Heart Huckabees but did write and direct The Life Acquatic recently. It would also piss me off because Anderson did one of my favorite little movies, Rushmore, in which Bill Murray was absolutely hysterical. Anderson also did Bottle Rocket, which wasn't horrible.

255957[/snapback]

That's what I get for believing one of the Netflix reviewers, I guess.....sorry, my bad. Regardless of any other movies that may or may not have a connection to 'Huckabees', the film is good dammit. That's the main point :doh:

That's what I get for believing one of the Netflix reviewers, I guess.....sorry, my bad.  Regardless of any other movies that may or may not have a connection to 'Huckabees', the film is good dammit. That's the main point :doh:

255962[/snapback]

And that The Royal Tennabaums sucked!

Well you would be killing innocent, talented, funny guys. First off, this thread is ridiculous, because I Heart Huckabees was written and directed by David O Russell, who wrote and directed a few excellent films like Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster and Spanking The Monkey...

Killing the guy who did "Flirting with Disaster' would be okay with me. The only flick I ever walked out on. By the time I realized everything was about finding humor in people cheating on each other...it was time to go. Too bad, because it had a helluva cast.

Killing the guy who did "Flirting with Disaster' would be okay with me. The only flick I ever walked out on. By the time I realized everything was about finding humor in people cheating on each other...it was time to go. Too bad, because it had a helluva cast.

255970[/snapback]

Did you walk out before the scene that had Alan Alda as an acid dealer, and Mary Tyler Moore ripping her shirt open and flashing her breasts and saying look at these babies? That flick had some incredible moments and chuckles.

Check out "Love, Actually". R-rated for a few tastful and humorous nude scenes, dialogue is clever with little gratituous obscenities, and has a star-studded cast with several heart-warming story lines and one bittersweet one. Many wry, funny moments. Excellent scenery, costumes, and directing. I was pleasantly surprised when my sister-in-law mailed it to us.

Well you would be killing innocent, talented, funny guys. First off, this thread is ridiculous, because I Heart Huckabees was written and directed by David O Russell, who wrote and directed a few excellent films like Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster and Spanking The Monkey, but had zero to do with The Royal Tenenbaums (which I thought was fairly amusing although plotless). If you shot the guy who wrote The Royal Tenenbaums, you would be shooting Wes Anderson, who had nothing to do with I Heart Huckabees but did write and direct The Life Acquatic recently. It would also piss me off because Anderson did one of my favorite little movies, Rushmore, in which Bill Murray was absolutely hysterical. Anderson also did Bottle Rocket, which wasn't horrible.

255957[/snapback]

Each and every one of those artsy little "movies" you listed there is HORRENDOUS when it comes to plot pacing and plot development.

For a good plot, see a movie like "Chinatown" or "Two days in the Valley"

I mean, let's be honest here, who goes to a movie to see a character? They go to see a story and all the great movies in history -- Casablanca, Spartacus, Goen with the Wind, etc... etc... --- all had strong plots.

Each and every one of those artsy little "movies" you listed there is HORRENDOUS when it comes to plot pacing and plot development.

I mean, let's be honest here, who goes to a movie to see a character? They go to see a story and all the great movies in history -- Casablanca, Spartacus, Goen with the Wind, etc... etc... --- all had strong plots.

255993[/snapback]

JSP, have you seen 'The Count of Monte Cristo'? That is a more contemporary film that I think follows in the footsteps of some of the 'story' films you mentioned. No, I'm not saying it's among them as far as greatness goes......but it is a really good film that a lot of people missed.

Check out "Love, Actually".  R-rated for a few tastful and humorous nude scenes, but has a star-studded cast with several heart-warming story lines and one bittersweet one.  Many wry, funny moments. Excellent scenery, costumes, and directing. I was pleasantly surprised when my sister-in-law mailed it to us.

255977[/snapback]

I really enjoyed that film.......the interaction between Liam Neeson's character and the kid were classic. The scenes with Collin Firth were very good, too. The whole film was good.

255993[/snapback]

So you want to compare all movies to the film which has perhaps one of the best plots and screenplays off all time? Not every good or great movie has to have a great plot. A lot of good and great films are made from acting, or directing, or story, or writing, or entertainment value or originality or just plain stupid laughs. Especially comedies. Besides, 2 Days in the Valley was all clever plotting and mostly crap. :doh: Three Kings was a very good entertaining flick. Rushmore, IMO, was hysterical.

Sorry, but I loved TRT...

256011[/snapback]

The critics did, too........I may have to give it a second viewing one day.......maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it when I saw it, I dunno. I just was very disappointed at the time.

I guess it's a love/hate thing with me and Wes Anderson, cause I loved Bottle Rocket but wasn't keen on Rushmore.......

Did you walk out before the scene that had Alan Alda as an acid dealer, and Mary Tyler Moore ripping her shirt open and flashing her breasts and saying look at these babies? That flick had some incredible moments and chuckles.

255975[/snapback]

I actually did, K-dog. In fact, I doubt I was there longer than 30 or 40 minutes. There is no logical explanation, but whenever adultery is brought into a flick, it bugs me. I'm no moral compass point, I promise, so it doesn't make sense. Having one adultery scene in a movie is one thing. I had no problem with "Fatal Attraction,:" though that's probably because I was so grossed out watching anyone !@#$ Glenn Close. :doh: Having the whole movie about it is another thing, though. And I really wanted to like it cuz I had a crush on Tea Leoni back then.

I actually did, K-dog. In fact, I doubt I was there longer than 30 or 40 minutes. There is no logical explanation, but whenever adultery is brought into a flick, it bugs me. I'm no moral compass point, I promise, so it doesn't make sense. Having one adultery scene in a movie is one thing. I had no problem with "Fatal Attraction,:" though that's probably because I was so grossed out watching anyone !@#$ Glenn Close. :doh:  Having the whole movie about it is another thing, though. And I really wanted to like it cuz I had a crush on Tea Leoni back then.

256059[/snapback]

I have to agree with you there, bro. There is a movie called "Seeing Other People" that is based on the idea of sleeping with others prior to getting married for no reason other than to 'get it out of your system'. The movie is listed as a comedy, and while I can't say it was a bad film, it had a completely exhausting effect on me.