ACA Individual Mandate

Dr.Sack

Interesting discussion on another thread, about the ACA. Thought we could be a little more specific about where the whole idea of the individual mandate came from.

More specifically a good policy debate between Newt & Romney dating back to 2011. I find it fascinating.

"ROMNEY: Actually, Newt, we got the idea of an individual mandate from you.

GINGRICH: That's not true. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.

ROMNEY: Yes, we got it from you, and you got it from the Heritage Foundation and from you.

GINGRICH: Wait a second. What you just said is not true. You did not get that from me. You got it from the Heritage Foundation.

ROMNEY: And you never supported them?

GINGRICH: I agree with them, but I'm just saying, what you said to this audience just now plain wasn't true.

(CROSSTALK)

ROMNEY: OK. Let me ask, have you supported in the past an individual mandate?

GINGRICH: I absolutely did with the Heritage Foundation against Hillarycare.

ROMNEY: You did support an individual mandate?

ROMNEY: Oh, OK. That's what I'm saying. We got the idea from you and the Heritage Foundation.

GINGRICH: OK. A little broader.

ROMNEY: OK."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2011/10/20/how-a-conservative-think-tank-invented-the-individual-mandate/#136f1f1f621b

The idea of the individual mandate did, in fact, come from the Heritage Foundation as an alternative to the implementation of Hillary Care in the 90's.

However, you'll note that once Hillary Care was rejected, no one sought to implement it. It was a tool designed for use in debate only, and was never advanced by any serious policy maker at the Federal level.

Years later, Mitt Romney, then Governor of uber liberal Massachusetts lent support to the idea on a state level, as a state's rights issue, as this was something Romney's constituents wanted, as the US Constitution doesn't speak to as a Federal power.

Again, no conservative ever made any move whatsoever to implement anything like this at the Federal level, largely because they knew it would fail tremendously, and they believed it to be unConstitutional.

The ACA is wholly owned by progressive Democrats, who voted on completely partisan lines, through a budget process on a Bill written in the Senate, because they couldn't get traction for a Bill as outlined by the legal process. The dissent against the Bill was a bi-partisan effort, however.

The idea of the individual mandate did, in fact, come from the Heritage Foundation as an alternative to the implementation of Hillary Care in the 90's.

However, you'll note that once Hillary Care was rejected, no one sought to implement it. It was a tool designed for use in debate only, and was never advanced by any serious policy maker at the Federal level.

Years later, Mitt Romney, then Governor of uber liberal Massachusetts lent support to the idea on a state level, as a state's rights issue, as this was something Romney's constituents wanted, as the US Constitution doesn't speak to as a Federal power.

Again, no conservative ever made any move whatsoever to implement anything like this at the Federal level, largely because they knew it would fail tremendously, and they believed it to be unConstitutional.

The ACA is wholly owned by progressive Democrats, who voted on completely partisan lines, through a budget process on a Bill written in the Senate, because they couldn't get traction for a Bill as outlined by the legal process. The dissent against the Bill was a bi-partisan effort, however.

Very well put sir,

however you forgot.

I'm a Progressive but can tell you the ACA was never supported nor endorsed by any credible progressive. I think it's a huge Corporate takeover of our healthcare industry.

Yes apparently you think Obama is a progressive I can unequivocally say he is not.

So let me get this straight: We have a singular law named the Affordable Care Act, passed exclusively by Democrats, after intentionally lying to the American people during a special address to congress, and now that you and every other nutbag on the left sees how unbelievably awful the law is, you want to pin bits and pieces of the law on the GOP?

Take your stupidity to Salon. I'm sure they have a job waiting for you.

And yeah, I'm calling you stupid, because you have to be gatorman-level stupid to try this argument.

If you have spare time, use it to grow the hell up.

Wow lots of name calling and swear words. I could be a snowflake like DC Tom and "call the bots" or I can be a man and take on 100 fake ass conservatives. I'll choose the later.

What a brave response.......................said a real conservative

So you will explain exactly why you said this.........when it's Bullsh*t

Dr.Sack, on 05 Feb 2017 - 8:08 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm a Progressive but can tell you the ACA was never supported nor endorsed by any credible progressive. I think it's a huge Corporate takeover of our healthcare industry.

Dr.Sack, on 05 Feb 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:snapback.png

Yes apparently you think Obama is a progressive I can unequivocally say he is not.

Edited by B-Man

Wow lots of name calling and swear words. I could be a snowflake like DC Tom and "call the bots" or I can be a man and take on 100 fake ass conservatives. I'll choose the later.

Actually, you haven't taken on anyone. Plenty of strong points to choose from in this thread. You haven't addressed any.

Actually, you haven't taken on anyone. Plenty of strong points to choose from in this thread. You haven't addressed any.

I don't argue back with name callers. Anyone care to read Romney & Gingrich's back and forth and comment? Or are you all going to punt?

Except Buffalo born Republican Justice John Roberts who was the deciding vote. He said it was constitutional. Sorry but the corporate shill Republicans like Mitt Romney & John Roberts are two sides of the same coin with your enemies Hillary & Obama.

You personally hate the ACA and would advocate for the system we had in place before? I assume - if not feel free to clarify your position.

Edited by Dr.Sack

If you can't take a bit of name-calling, then either stop posting stuff that is easily refuted or stop posting stuff altogether. The reality is that, at least where my post in concerned, you simply can not rebut or argue my point. If you could, you'd have made an effort. But you can't, because you somehow think an obscure political message board tied to a bad football team and populated by geeks who sit at computers all day are somehow going to not call you an idiot?

Please. This message board is the online equivalent of the bar in "Airplane" but without the girl scouts beating each other up. Grow a pair for crying out loud.

You don't discuss, you compete. This is why you don't deserve anything more than name-calling.