How does a team develop a young QB???

#34fan

You draft the right QB for the right system. These days you don't "develop" a QB. You either drafted him or, you didn't.

Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Derek Carr, Drew Brees, are some names who were never "developed" to be the starting QB. They either took it over at training camp or were thrown into the fire because of an injury.

Not really rocket science. We're still waiting to draft the right QB, you don't "develop" one

I don't agree at all. A bunch of those guys were developed Russell Wilson didn't come into the league as the QB he is today. Nor did Big Ben, nor did Flacco. They were able to be successful as they developed because they went to teams that did a good job putting pieces around them and limited what they were asking them to do.

To say none of those 3 developed is crazy talk to me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ryan

in all seriouness you have made your point and there are enough tt threads without turning EVERY thread into a tt debate

give it a rest?

Use the ignore button. Click on Ryan l billz

Stop framing everything like a snitch and read the thread.

Alpha slandered the qb's because they aren't Tyrod Taylor. Discussion ensues.

Please hit the ignore, 2017 is unicorn time !

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Great post!

I'd probably file it under "root causes of our perpetual underachievement"

One thing intrigues me though.... Which four are you referring to?.. -If you don't want to say, I totally understand why.

Trubisky

Kizer

Watson

Mahomes

And there is another tier including Webb and others.

None of the listed qbs are ready to play right away. That's the norm. Goff certainly wasn't ready when he played at the end of the season. However, the team made it abundantly clear that they realized that fact when they drafted him. They expected some development time before he was ready to start.

Was Derek Car considered an elite prospect? No. But he was a good prospect that we passed on who has in short order changed the trajectory of that once laughable franchise.

Was Russell Wilson an elite prospect coming out of college/s? Country Buddy passed on him and Cousins for a track receiver who miserably failed as a pro receiver. Let's go back and review the Russell Wilson case. He was graded highly in all the categories except height. For a team that didn't have a franchise qb for a generation how is that not a worthwhile gamble?

How about Dak Prescott? He would have been a good third round selection, Instead the Bills took an immature and lazy DT from Ohio State who turned out to be a lazy and immature Buffalo Bill.

The Bills are in a favorable position to draft a qb this year because we have a respectable bridge qb. There is no need to immediately place a rookie qb into the fray and and have him overwhelmed.

There are those who subscribe to the Jauron/Levy approach to building a roster stressing the back end of the defense. That is an antiquated approach to take. You can draft a corner in the first round and he can turn out to be a HOF player. That Canton caliber CB will have a significantly less affect on the team compared to having a good (not great) qb on the roster.

It's the same old foolishness every year with the calls to select players who play less consequential positions. I'm not against that approach if you have your franchise qb in place. But if you don't your priority should be to get the qb position secured and then add the other pieces. Drafting a qb in the first round doesn't mean that you can't address your other areas of need with the rest of the draft and free agency.

I'm getting tired of hearing the lamenting that using a first round pick to select the best qb on the board is sabotaging the draft. It is one freaking pick! You are not only not mortgaging the future you are acting wisely in attempting to lock down a position that will most make your team a competitive team.

It's exasperating to hear the same tired song every year to direct one's efforts to patchwork a roster with multiple holes. One way to elevate a flawed roster, even if it continues to be a flawed roster, is to have a legitimate franchise qb. You can win with a flawed roster if you have a good qb. You will continue to lose with a good roster and an inadequate qb.

The Bills are not a wretchedly bad team; they are a wretchedly mediocre team. They are built to be in the 7-9 to 9-7 class. If a couple of acknowledged elite prospects were in this draft they would be unattainable. Do you think Cleveland, San Fran, Chicago or NY Jets would trade away their picks if they were in position to select a top tier qb prospect? Of course they wouldn't.

The Bills are one of the most irrelevant and boring franchises in the league. They are an invisible franchise not on the radar for the rest of the country. It's been that way for a long time. Why is that? Because they continue to do what they usually do.

You can keep saying its not a weak class, doesn't make it true either. This class is overwhelmingly seen as a weaker class by just about everyone...so, I will side with the majority on this one as I feel the same way. Lets face the reality around the QB's going into the draft and why its looked at as a weaker class currently:

1. Not one of them is considered an Elite QB prospect.

2. No one is even listing any QB in their top 15 prospects, and more often than not I see guys like Watson outside the top 30.

3. Not one of them has separated himself yet as the clear top QB prospect in the draft out of the top 4 guys.

4. There isn't a single guy that is labeled a lock for the top 10. I am sure one, and maybe more, will go there, out of need...but nobody has any idea which guy or guys it would be.

Now, I will say that the combine can really boost the opinions on some of these guys and the class if they come out and put on a show. But, until then, its a muddied water at QB this year and no one has emerged as a must draft guy yet. Of course, the opposite is true too...dont shine at the combine and some of these guys can fall out of the first round all together.

Responding to the highlighted area: Was Derek Carr an elite prospect? No. But he has had a dramatic affect on his team.

Was Russell Wilson and elite prospect? No. But he has had a major affect on his team.

Was Dak Prescott and elite prospect? No. But he has had a major affect on his team.

Was Kirk Cousins and elite prospect? No. But he has had a positive affect on his team and he would be a sought out player if he was on the market.

Your approach to the qb position represents the self-destructive notion of: seeking perfection being the enemy of the good. Your let's wait until next year turns it to let's wait until another year and another year. Before you know it a generation has gone by and you still got nothing.

more like tragic

Hey this ignore function really cleans up the trash in the thread

Addressing one side of the ball doesn't mean that you can't address the other side of the ball. I'm sure most people are competent enough to chew gum and walk at the same time.

Addressing one side of the ball doesn't mean that you can't address the other side of the ball. I'm sure most people are competent enough to chew gum and walk at the same time.

What if that gum is 6 years old and you're praying you can squeeze a little more flavor out of it? Gotta hang onto it.

What if that gum is 6 years old and you're praying you can squeeze a little more flavor out of it? Gotta hang onto it.

There is still utility to be squeezed out of it You can moisten it and use it as a plug to patch a hole in a pipe.

There are many different ways to develop a Young QB. The key is to identify the one that you feel will be a Franchise QB. So the key to developing a Young WB is having the scouts who will identify the QB that will thrive in YOUR System, because every QB is a system QB.

So if your a run first team IMO you need find a WB great at PA and able to hit the quick slants over the middle.

I think you have a point

My question going forward is

Do they get back on track with the team identity the way it was presented to us? in which the offense OVER performed

or

Do they establish a new one where the offense becomes the reason we win games? In which it needs to become more potent

maybe its willy wonka gum

I think you have a point

My question going forward is

Do they get back on track with the team identity the way it was presented to us? in which the offense OVER performed

or

Do they establish a new one where the offense becomes the reason we win games? In which it needs to become more potent

maybe its willy wonka gum

Your question and/or point is a tremendous question. My candid answer is I really don't know. Do we know really how the GM and the owner actually view the current status of this team? They haven't clearly stated anything about where they believe this team is at and where it is heading. Is this a rebuild, partial rebuild or is it better to take a incremental patchwork approach to reworking the roster. I honestly don't know.

While many of us are debating the qb issue (much to your chagrin) we don't really know what the organization's candid view of TT's viability is from a short or long term view.

Compare how Pegula handled the hockey franchise with the football franchise? With the hockey franchise there was a full disclosure and a full declaration that the hockey team was in a major rebuild mode. With respect to the football franchise there is a reluctance to share what the private thoughts are with respect to the direction of the franchise. That is why the qb issue is so important. How that issue is handled gives a clue on the direction the organization is going to take.

I found this question to be thought provoking and difficult to respond. I think I feel this way because I'm not sure if the word "develop" is the right term. Teams don't really develop QB's anymore. Almost every franchise QB in today's NFL was thrown into the fire early in their career. Teams don't draft QB's to sit on the bench like in they did in the past. It really doesn't take long in today's NFL to know if a QB is going to be a good one early in his career. All of the today's franchise QB's were very good by their third season at the latest.

I think the better question is how do you put a young QB in the best situation to succeed? This is what helps a young QB. Guys don't jump off the bench in their fifth season and suddenly become franchise QB's. This is why the Cardale situation makes me laugh. It's difficult to believe that he's working on learning the pro game, and could one day become a franchise guy. There are no franchise QB's currently in the league whose team was petrified to play as a rookie.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5