How does a team develop a young QB???

#34fan

1. REPS, dammit!

2. Support. (Build confidence)

3. Simple, low stress, offensive scheming.

4. Find them a go-to guy... Reliable target

5. O-line help.

6. GIVE THEM THE WHEEL!

You guys have any better methods? -Speak now, or forever hold your peace!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. REPS, dammit!

2. Support. (Build confidence)

3. Simple, low stress, offensive scheming.

4. Find them a go-to guy... Reliable target

5. O-line help.

6. GIVE THEM THE WHEEL!

You guys have any better methods? -Speak now, or forever hold your peace!

By not drafting a sh**ty one from a weak QB class like this year.

Sadly, I must agree here.

You can keep saying it, it doesn't make it true.

The draft is OVER... The baby is HERE... Now what?... There was a time when Aaron Rogers didn't look like Aaron Rogers... Eli was an uncoordinated mess, Peyton was a choke-artist, and Derek Carr was raw as hell..

What went RIGHT??????

Edited by #34fan

You can keep saying it, it doesn't make it true.

You can keep saying its not a weak class, doesn't make it true either. This class is overwhelmingly seen as a weaker class by just about everyone...so, I will side with the majority on this one as I feel the same way. Lets face the reality around the QB's going into the draft and why its looked at as a weaker class currently:

1. Not one of them is considered an Elite QB prospect.

2. No one is even listing any QB in their top 15 prospects, and more often than not I see guys like Watson outside the top 30.

3. Not one of them has separated himself yet as the clear top QB prospect in the draft out of the top 4 guys.

4. There isn't a single guy that is labeled a lock for the top 10. I am sure one, and maybe more, will go there, out of need...but nobody has any idea which guy or guys it would be.

Now, I will say that the combine can really boost the opinions on some of these guys and the class if they come out and put on a show. But, until then, its a muddied water at QB this year and no one has emerged as a must draft guy yet. Of course, the opposite is true too...dont shine at the combine and some of these guys can fall out of the first round all together.

You can keep saying its not a weak class, doesn't make it true either. This class is overwhelmingly seen as a weaker class by just about everyone...so, I will side with the majority on this one as I feel the same way. Lets face the reality around the QB's going into the draft and why its looked at as a weaker class currently:

1. Not one of them is considered an Elite QB prospect.

2. No one is even listing any QB in their top 15 prospects, and more often than not I see guys like Watson outside the top 30.

3. Not one of them has separated himself yet as the clear top QB prospect in the draft out of the top 4 guys.

4. There isn't a single guy that is labeled a lock for the top 10. I am sure one, and maybe more, will go there, out of need...but nobody has any idea which guy or guys it would be.

Now, I will say that the combine can really boost the opinions on some of these guys and the class if they come out and put on a show. But, until then, its a muddied water at QB this year and no one has emerged as a must draft guy yet. Of course, the opposite is true too...dont shine at the combine and some of these guys can fall out of the first round all together.

Who is this majority you keep referencing?

Sadly, I must agree here.

The draft is OVER... The baby is HERE... Now what?... There was a time when Aaron Rogers didn't look like Aaron Rogers... Eli was an uncoordinated mess, Peyton was a choke-artist, and Derek Carr was raw as hell..

What went RIGHT??????

they all had disgusting amounts of talent. and i think they must all have an ability to process information and make quick decisions.

Don't encourage him!

Greg Gabriel says ignore the noise this Quarterback class is better than the mid college season chatter.

Matt Miller has three QBs in the top 20 of his big board.

Josh Norris believe both Trubisky and Watson are potential franchise guys.

They are just three respected names I will throw out, there are more. Apart from WalterFootball and unnamed annonymous scouts who is this consensus saying this is a bad QB class?

There is no elite slam dunk QB in this class that is true but it is better in my view at the top end of the draft than last year's class. To compare this even in passing to 2013 which was just an atrocious draft all told (not just QBs) is ridiculous.

Edited by GunnerBill

Who is this majority you keep referencing?

Its cool...I get you are more optimistic on this QB draft class...its all good, we don't have to share the opinion bud. I even really liked your write up on the QB's you did in the other thread. I mostly agreed with a lot of what you wrote too, but I think with me the cons are more concerning for me than you.

I think the Browns will take Myles #1 overall (and they should run to the podium to do so) and the Niners will probably go QB and I think they take Kizer. But there is a perfect example...lets say the Niners do take Kizer, who he is commonly being mocked to as of right now as Kizer is more commonly seen as the first QB off the board. That can change as we get closer, but thats a popular landing spot for him today. You graded him out as a 2nd round prospect...yet he is still most often listed as top QB prospect and likely first off the board right now. Thats how this draft class is...none of them have separated themselves and the guy you think has a 2nd round grade is the guy many expect to be taken first.

Sorry we don't agree, but its all good...I side with the school of thought that this isnt a strong class and one of the guys have established themselves IMO as must draft guys even for teams needy at QB. In fact, if I am Cleveland there is zero chance I go QB at 1 and I would take Myles, and at 12 I am grabbing one of the top WR's or RB's on the board and taking a QB with the first pick in the 2nd. But hey, thats just my 2 cents...

But who do you think are the majority saying it's a weak class? Cos I don't see them. Around the halfway point in the college season there was a lot of noise that this class could be bad. But I don't really see any of the respected guys out there saying that at the moment.

EDIT: oh and Kizer will not go to San Francisco at #2. Take that to the bank. The ony person I have seen mock him there is Walt who doesn't have a clue.

Edited by GunnerBill

they all had disgusting amounts of talent. and i think they must all have an ability to process information and make quick decisions.

Quick decisions, or GOOD decisions? -Could it be the responsibily of the OC to make the former the same as the latter?

Sure, the young QB needs his decision making process streamlined and refined... But how do you do that without SLOWING THE ENTIRE PROCESS DOWN -As in Tyrod's case?

Very frequently classes are designated as weak qb classes. And in those predetermined classes there are always good qbs to be found. It's not surprising that an organization that has shown an inability to properly evaluate qbs has struggled to find a franchise qb over a twenty year period. While people and this slow footed organization seek the ideal qb they allow good prospects to slip away. Buffalo waits for the right moment while other organizations seize the opportunity that we allow to pass.

This year there are at least four qb prospects that would be good qb prospects. The Jauron/Levy mentality of building a roster from the defensive backside will result in this backwater franchise to draft a DB and cluelessly be proud of itself. It is this small-minded patchwork mentality that has kept this franchise stuck in a shiiit pile for almost a quarter of a century of irrelevance. It's tiresome and it is stupid!

Maybe its just me but drafting a good QB and not projects is the way to go but DW doesnt see it that way

Depends on your needs, Dak was considered a project. If you are Indy for example, you want safe. You want a guy that can play 3 games a year and not blow it. If you are the Browns you want a guy that could become a franchise QB. Edited by Kirby Jackson