F You Audi

Dante

We are going to be in the market for a crossover vehicle for my wife the next year I figure. We were considering a little Audi but after this garbage commercial that will air on the SB, forget it. What a crock of shite. Getting tired of the NFL as a political arm to be honest.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to be in the market for a crossover vehicle for my wife the next year I figure. We were considering a little Audi but after this garbage commercial that will air on the SB, forget it. What a crock of shite. Getting tired of the NFL as a political arm to be honest.

Driveprogress? Yes F 'em.

Just stfu and buy the car. I've had two so far and they are great.

AUDI’S MESSAGE TO AMERICA: Money and breeding always beat poor white trash.

The Real Message Behind Audi’s Super Bowl Ad Isn’t Exactly An Uplifting One

The Internet is in the proverbial tizzy about Audi’s “feminist” Super Bowl advertisement, in which the automaker comes out in favor of equal pay for women.

At first blush, the spot seems to be nothing but the usual corporate slacktivism, a feel-good fluff-vertorial making a “brave stand” in support of an issue that was decided long ago. I’m reminded of Joaquin Phoenix’s brilliant portrayal of Commodus in Gladiator, arriving in full armor as soon as he can do so without any risk. “Father, have I missed the battle?” Well, Audi, you’ve missed the war; if there’s a place in the United States where women are actually paid significantly less for doing the same job as men, it’s not evident from what I’m reading.

After watching the one-minute advertisement carefully, however, I understood feminism, or equal pay, is the last thing Audi wants you to take away from it. The message is far subtler, and more powerful, than the dull recitation of the pseudo-progressive catechism droning on in the background. This spot is visual — and as you’ll see below, you can’t understand it until you watch it and see what it’s really telling you.

Let me tell you up front: chances are you won’t like what Audi has to say.

{snip} (SHOT BY SHOT OF THE AD EXPLAINED HERE)

Well, if you’ve been reading along, I think you’ve figured out what the real message of this Audi advertisement is, but just in case you’ve been napping I will spell it out for you: Money and breeding always beat poor white trash. Those other kids in the race, from the overweight boys to the hick who actually had an American flag helmet to the stripper-glitter girl? They never had a chance. They’re losers and they always will be, just like their loser parents. Audi is the choice of the winners in today’s economy, the smooth talkers who say all the right things in all the right meetings and are promoted up the chain because they are tall (yes, that makes a difference) and handsome without being overly masculine or threatening-looking.

At the end of this race, it’s left to the Morlocks to clean the place up and pack the derby cars into their trashy pickup trucks, while the beautiful people stride off into the California sun, the natural and carefree winners of life’s lottery. Audi is explicitly suggesting that choosing their product will identify you as one of the chosen few. I find it personally offensive. As an owner of one of the first 2009-model-year Audi S5s to set tire on American soil, yet also as an ugly, ill-favored child who endured a scrappy Midwestern upbringing, I find it much easier to identify with the angry-faced fat kids in their home-built specials or the boy with the Captain America helmet.

At the end, what does this ad do? It just reinforces our natural biases. Poor is bad, rich is good, and most importantly, rich people deserve their fortune because they are inherently better than the rest of us. You might not like that message, but it’s been selling cars for a very long time. If Audi wanted to try some authentic activism, they might consider showing us an African-American man or woman who overcame a tough upbringing to become an actual customer, or perhaps a differently-abled person who’s achieved enough to buy himself an S8 as a reward for his hard work. But that’s not terribly aspirational, is it? Who wants to be those people? And, by the same token, who wouldn’t want to be that handsome father lifting his beautiful daughter out of someone else’s winning race car?

A friend of mine bought an Audi SUV for his wife's Christmas present and has been gushing over how great Audi is and has been buying shirts, cups, and other Audi swag for the last two months (since before he bought it)

I have since been randomly pointing out that my Nissan SUV does this, that, and the other thing that the Audi does, but for $20k less :P

A friend of mine bought an Audi SUV for his wife's Christmas present and has been gushing over how great Audi is and has been buying shirts, cups, and other Audi swag for the last two months (since before he bought it)

I have since been randomly pointing out that my Nissan SUV does this, that, and the other thing that the Audi does, but for $20k less :P

Audi is a status purchase.

Nissan not so much, but their Infiniti brand that's swag too.

Who doesn't want heated seats, heated cup holders & a helicopter button Bondesque option?

Edited by Dr.Sack

AUDI’S MESSAGE TO AMERICA: Money and breeding always beat poor white trash.

great find dude

indeed, what a piece of racist/classist ѕhit that ad is

i ran a large and successful software quality mgmt consulting practice and those highly paid process professionals are dominated by females. i had female senior managers up and down my organization and they were paid exactly on par with the males

however, lets be real here. employing a female in those roles absolutely has more risk to a practice manager than males. why? bc its females that overwhelmingly leave the workforce when family issues arise, like pregnancy, long term illnesses, elderly parents, etc. i actually had quite a few males that became mr moms when their senior manager spouses got pregnant, but still it was more common losing females than males in those situations. it was also easier for me to mitigate that risk bc i could always find temporary talent of high end independent contractors if i had to if i didnt have a replacement ready

the point is that if you dont think there is a direct increased bottom line risk/cost ratio to hiring females for sr mgmt positions you are living in fantasy land. and that risk just magnifies when you are talking about traditional 'permanent' jobs that dont have the nimble options that consulting gave me so the cost is only going to escalate for traditional employers

you never hear that talked about bc it isnt politically correct. ive seen studies that if you factor in those exact variables THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PAY FOR EQUALLY SKILLED WORKERS on the basis of gender. so yeah, this ad just looks like a disgusting intentionally misleading and opportunistic ad plying on our own irrational biases about gender equality

great find dude

indeed, what a piece of racist/classist ѕhit that ad is

i ran a large and successful software quality mgmt consulting practice and those highly paid process professionals are dominated by females. i had female senior managers up and down my organization and they were paid exactly on par with the males

however, lets be real here. employing a female in those roles absolutely has more risk to a practice manager than males. why? bc its females that overwhelmingly leave the workforce when family issues arise, like pregnancy, long term illnesses, elderly parents, etc. i actually had quite a few males that became mr moms when their senior manager spouses got pregnant, but still it was more common losing females than males in those situations. it was also easier for me to mitigate that risk bc i could always find temporary talent of high end independent contractors if i had to if i didnt have a replacement ready

the point is that if you dont think there is a direct increased bottom line risk/cost ratio to hiring females for sr mgmt positions you are living in fantasy land. and that risk just magnifies when you are talking about traditional 'permanent' jobs that dont have the nimble options that consulting gave me so the cost is only going to escalate for traditional employers

you never hear that talked about bc it isnt politically correct. ive seen studies that if you factor in those exact variables THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PAY FOR EQUALLY SKILLED WORKERS on the basis of gender. so yeah, this ad just looks like a disgusting intentionally misleading and opportunistic ad plying on our own irrational biases about gender equality

I can't argue.

You know how the ad is set up the way it is? Because it is his daughter. Kennedy syndrome. Let it happen to family and they change their tune. Like Mama Bear, they will defend that child no matter what, even sell everything & everybody down the river. Can't say I blame them, but what the Kennedy's started is an epidemic.

is it me or did she switch gears in a box cart thing? is that how they work? is that even real? or was that a hand break?

THESE ARE THE REAL QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS!!

It was a hand brake was my thought.

And am I the only one wondering how they even got the racer to and from the track? It's certainly not fitting in the trunk of the car, without leaving it opened.