Neil Gorsuch - Nominee to the Supreme Court

Nanker

Garland was not going to be confirmed by the 114th Senate. And even if they had gone through the pointless dog and pony show of holding hearings, the Dems were still going to be pissed off.

I agreed with them that the next president should pick the next SCJ, and even some Dems said this in years past. The Repubs took a big risk because if Hilly won, there's a chance she'd nominate an even more liberal SCJ, but it paid off for them.

If they filibuster, I say go nuclear. You reap what you sow.

Why does everybody think Shillary would move farther left. Socially sure, but big freaking deal. Obama was the farthest left next to Bernie. Shill would have centered just like her husband: Best "Republican" POTUS we ever had next to Lincoln (who wouldn't be a pube today).

I guess we will never know about Shill Lite because we have Shill Pro in there now.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does everybody think Shillary would move farther left. Socially sure, but big freaking deal. Obama was the farthest left next to Bernie. Shill would have centered just like her husband: Best "Republican" POTUS we ever had next to Lincoln (who wouldn't be a pube today).

I guess we will never know about Shill Lite because we have Shill Pro in there now.

Maybe she wouldn't have nominated someone more liberal than Garland. Maybe she would have nominated someone even less liberal. Maybe she still would have nominated Garland. But waiting was the right move for the Repubs and again, short of confirming Garland, the Dems were going to be pissed no matter what.

Maybe she wouldn't have nominated someone more liberal than Garland. Maybe she would have nominated someone even less liberal. Maybe she still would have nominated Garland. But waiting was the right move for the Repubs and again, short of confirming Garland, the Dems were going to be pissed no matter what.

I rather wished Trump had renominated Garland, just to say "!@#$ you people, the president has an unfettered constitutional right to nominate whoever he wants, there's no 'too late in your term' exception." (And to watch the left's heads explode trying to justify hating a Trump nomination they liked as an Obama nomination.)

But that would have required some sort of maturity and awareness on Trump's part. But it's certainly what I would have done.

I rather wished Trump had renominated Garland, just to say "!@#$ you people, the president has an unfettered constitutional right to nominate whoever he wants, there's no 'too late in your term' exception." (And to watch the left's heads explode trying to justify hating a Trump nomination they liked as an Obama nomination.)

But that would have required some sort of maturity and awareness on Trump's part. But it's certainly what I would have done.

This would have been brilliant!

Unless I'm misunderstanding you...Obama farthest to the left next to Sanders? He was a moderate center right Democrat in the mold of Clintonian third way politics. He was about as far to the left as Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Warren, Sanders, and Sherrod Brown are leftists. Obama was Clinton lite.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you...Obama farthest to the left next to Sanders? He was a moderate center right Democrat in the mold of Clintonian third way politics. He was about as far to the left as Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Warren, Sanders, and Sherrod Brown are leftists. Obama was Clinton lite.

And unlike Clinton, he didn't benefit from a tech bubble.

This would have been brilliant!

Ass kisser.

It may not be the best timing in the world to play "gotcha" with SCOTUS nominations.

Schumer is the poster boy for bad politics right now. Yes the Garland thing was pig disgusting BS. But it's over. If you want to be the bigger person, play the game the way it is supposed to be played, not the way the Rs just played it.

That would be high character and a proper way to treat Gorsuch and the process.

I will applaud the Dems who vote yes on Gorsuch. I hope some show the spine to do it. Move the country forward.

no one pressed Garland because they believed Hillary would win and they could appoint anyone they wanted. That's what is ironic

I think Leahy is beginning to buckle and backtrack the pressure he's receiving from liberal activists. Let me tell you, they are red hot right now and they are demanding no cooperation whatsoever with Republicans.

I think Leahy is beginning to buckle and backtrack the pressure he's receiving from liberal activists. Let me tell you, they are red hot right now and they are demanding no cooperation whatsoever with Republicans.

I would not be surprised if he did sir.

mrz032717-color_orig.jpg

Of course not. It's not compromise, it's appeasement.

Forcing this is asinine. The people who nuked the filibuster and said it was unfair to block a president's nomination now want to block the president's nomination with a filibuster. There's pretty much only one outcome of that, called "being hoisted on your own petard."

The only sensible outcome for the Democrats is that they get to cry "Republican Enabling Law!" when they're completely powerless. Which none of their supporters will see their own hand in creating...because their cognitive dissonance is unbelievable.

He's not going to get to 60.

Press the dem's nuclear option button.

The most pathetic and distressing aspect is that there are virtually no Senators capable or willing to stand on their own principles. So other than a few outliers, every Dem is just a string puppet for Chuck and Diane? Republicans are no better. That is a huge shift from a generation ago.

By announcing on Monday his intention to filibuster Gorsuch, Nelson raised questions about the judge's path to 60 votes and revealed a shift in political fault lines in the confirmation fight. Faced with the prospect of a primary challenge in the event he didn’t filibuster and the likelihood of a tough general election campaign against GOP Gov. Rick Scott either way, Nelson chose to lock down his left flank.

“Bill Nelson is usually a centrist on issues like this, but he may be influenced by talk of him having a primary opponent,” said state Sen. Randolph Bracy, who’s considering a primary challenge of the senator.

Pam Keith, a 2016 U.S. Senate candidate also mulling a bid against Nelson, said in a text message exchange that “Nelson VERY much is feeling the pressure, as are many Dems in DC.”

“Bottom-line is that the base is far more strident than they are,” Keith continued, adding that rank-and-file Democrats have much to lose if their elected officials help Trump. “The grassroots could give a damn about ‘collegiality' or decorum in the halls of Congress. I think the leaders are learning that the appetite for outright obstruction is as high on our side as it ever was for the Tea Party.”

They are in no mood to work with Republicans. Republicans did the same thing to Democrats but it appears that the Democrats are going to take it to a whole new level.