Neil Gorsuch - Nominee to the Supreme Court

Nanker

I hope the dems make it as difficult as possible. I think he's a fine choice, it's not personal as was said with Garland...

And I hope the nuclear option is used. It would be amusing due to the outrage over the dems using it previously. Just more partisan BS

For me, the next four years is about nothing more than teaching Democrats about the need for smaller less intrusive government, the importance of adhering to established procedural rules, the purpose of checks and balances, and most importantly, limiting the unilateral authority of the executive.

And if, along the way, a Court can be established which will enforce these standards, I'll tip my cap.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can Insanity Succeed?

FTA:

There is, of course, no constitutional crisis. But the Democrats are going beyond the usual hyperbole. Shockingly, their just-defeated vice-presidential nominee, Tim Kaine, is urging the party’s faithful to make like Brownshirts:

I don’t believe any major American political figure has previously urged his followers to fight in the streets; not since the Civil War, certainly. Things may be about to get even more dangerous for Americans who dare to show their support for our duly-elected president, and for our democracy.

It probably is true that the Dems have a strategy. They certainly have message discipline, which is half-way to a strategy. But as President Trump fulfills one campaign pledge after another, surprising only the most cynical, the Democrats, to a person, are reacting like toddlers denied a second helping of ice cream. What they need is a good spanking.

At the polls, I mean. The Democratic Party has been in decline for a number of election cycles. The verdict on the Democrats’ strategy of synchronized hysteria will be rendered in November 2018. My guess is that after two years, most voters will have seen enough of the Democrats’ vileness. Watch for the Democrats to slide nearer to irrelevance in 22 months.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/02/can-insanity-succeed.php

Confirming Judge Gorsuch

FTA:

If it comes to this, I suspect that McConnell will be willing to go nuclear and will get the votes he needs.

Meanwhile, Democrats should understand that invocation by Republicans of the nuclear option to confirm Judge Gorsuch might hurt the Dems when Trump makes his next nomination (if he gets that opportunity). It is the next nominee, not Judge Gorsuch, who could give conservatives five reliable votes on the Supreme Court. Gorsuch just gets them back to four.

If the filibuster does not survive the Gorsuch confirmation fight, Trump will likely feel free to send up as conservative a nominee as he pleases next time, assuming the GOP still controls the Senate. If the filibuster is still around, he might feel more constrained.

So the battle to confirm Judge Gorsuch figures to be a fascinating game of chess. It will be nerve-racking and infuriating at times. But barring a very unexpected twist, Gorsuch is likely to be confirmed one way or the other.

I don't know how outraged we should be, but he's completely wrong on that point. Overall though, appears to be a solid pick.

As for the lefty nuts, Trump could have nominated the ghost of Thurgood Marshall and the knee jerk lunacy would be the same. The talking points were already written; they just needed do a 'Search and Replace' on the name.

I'm more borderline on suicide than I am abortion. Having known more than a dozen friends whom have done it, I cannot explain the difference between whether they are better off no longer chasing their demons/battling their illness. I know that when life is deemed worthless by a person there is a far greater chance of therapy working. But, when it is illness we just do not have the ability to cure everything.

Sadly, the case I can site most was a friend of my brother whom wrote a note he was going to lake Erie to shoot himself. He got drunk before going and plowed head first in to a mother and daughter. This was a man whom battled mental illness and had lived a confused life since adolescence. (His father was trans, he was bipolar, alcoholic, abused and his best friend also killed himself).

Suicide really pisses me off, sorry for the lament

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/02/can-insanity-succeed.php

Confirming Judge Gorsuch

FTA:

If it comes to this, I suspect that McConnell will be willing to go nuclear and will get the votes he needs.

Meanwhile, Democrats should understand that invocation by Republicans of the nuclear option to confirm Judge Gorsuch might hurt the Dems when Trump makes his next nomination (if he gets that opportunity). It is the next nominee, not Judge Gorsuch, who could give conservatives five reliable votes on the Supreme Court. Gorsuch just gets them back to four.

If the filibuster does not survive the Gorsuch confirmation fight, Trump will likely feel free to send up as conservative a nominee as he pleases next time, assuming the GOP still controls the Senate. If the filibuster is still around, he might feel more constrained.

So the battle to confirm Judge Gorsuch figures to be a fascinating game of chess. It will be nerve-racking and infuriating at times. But barring a very unexpected twist, Gorsuch is likely to be confirmed one way or the other.

send me a trump short, anyone. And I'll wear that **** in Durham and Charlotte every chance I get. I'm too cheap to buy one

Decent article here from HotAir's Duane Patterson.

Harry Reid tried to at least keep the veneer of separation between lower courts and the Supreme Court when it comes to judicial filibusters, but Reid said if the GOP were to block a Democratic Court pick, he’d use it again. The precedent for its use has been set, and I believe McConnell is fully willing to use if if the Democrats are that short-sided. McConnell is going to simply force the Democrats to walk the plank. Their choice is to lose twice now, or lose once now, and lose again a little later, but at least lose on a future Court nomination that’s in close enough proximity to an election to have something to campaign on with their base.

If the Democrats go to war now against Gorsuch, whom they confirmed on a voice vote 10 years ago for the Circuit Court, that means unanimously, the Reid Rule will be invoked. They will lose the judicial filibuster, and when the next vacancy on the Court occurs, which odds are high of happening before 2018, they will have lost their ability to have any weapon, rhetorical or not, to stop it. With Gorsuch replacing Scalia, the ideological balance of the Court doesn’t change. That’s why it doesn’t make sense to burn the filibuster now if you’re a Democrat. If Anthony Kennedy were to retire, or Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and Trump selects a Thomas Hardiman or Justice Willett out of Texas to replace, that will be ideological thermonuclear warfare for the left. The Reid Rule will still probably have to be employed at that point, but the Democrats will at least be able to cry foul then, Republicans stomping minority rights and all that nonsense, and use the Reid Rule as an excuse, fundraiser, and campaign issue for the mid-terms. Mind you, the filibuster won’t work then, either, to keep another Trump nomination off the Court, but Senate Democrats, who will be facing a very uphill climb in the 2018 mid-terms already, defending vastly more seats in red states than what they faced in 2016, will at least have a rallying cry to use with their base.

In either case, the Democrats do not have a very good hand to play, now or in the immediate future, and McConnell knows it. The hard left base doesn’t understand this, yet, and that’s what’s going to make 2017 so much fun. Democrat stalwarts in the Senate will, because their base demands it, make a lot of noise about Judge Gorsuch, sound and fury as the Bard wrote, and yet not use the filibuster this time on Gorsuch. The base will be crestfallen as the air in the left wing base balloon escapes.

For me, the next four years is about nothing more than teaching Democrats about the need for smaller less intrusive government, the importance of adhering to established procedural rules, the purpose of checks and balances, and most importantly, limiting the unilateral authority of the executive.

And if, along the way, a Court can be established which will enforce these standards, I'll tip my cap.

LOL LOL LOL LOL That's like trying to teach a dog to sit still with a steak on his nose....impossible. They're bred with a genetic makeup that vests complete and absolute authority with the government (when it suits their needs).

:beer:

Reminder for the NYT and friends.......regarding the "stolen" seat.

The Biden Rule. He set the precedent. ---> https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us/politics/joe-biden-argued-for-delaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html?0p19G=c

Here’s Biden in his very own words, via the New York Times:

“I
t would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway,
and it is,
action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

“Th
at i
s what is fair to the nominee and essential to the process. Otherwise, it seems to me,” h
e added, “
we will be in deep trouble as an institution.”

And there you have it: Not stolen, “Bidened.”

LOL LOL LOL LOL That's like trying to teach a dog to sit still with a steak on his nose....impossible. They're bred with a genetic makeup that vests complete and absolute authority with the government (when it suits their needs).

Reagan issued more executive orders than Obama. Teach that!

Back to the thread...............

Maybe the nuclear/Reid rule won't be needed.

And now Politico is reporting that at least seven Democrat senators have said they will not filibuster:

AT LEAST SEVEN Democratic senators have gone on the record saying they won’t filibuster Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee. Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.), Chris Coons (Del.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Claire McCaskill (Mo.) and Jon Tester (Mont.).

What is significant about this group is that while Tester and Heitkamp and Manchin are facing tough reelection fights in states that went for Trump, Durbin, Blumenthal, and Coons have seats for life and they have strong credibility with the Democrat base. If they aren’t pushing filibuster then, more likely than not, it isn’t going to happen.

Schumer has pretty much locked himself into pushing a filibuster and daring McConnell to get rid of the filibuster. This is going to strike directly at his ability to lead his caucus in the coming fights.

Back to the thread...............

Maybe the nuclear/Reid rule won't be needed.

And now Politico is reporting that at least seven Democrat senators have said they will not filibuster:

AT LEAST SEVEN Democratic senators have gone on the record saying they won’t filibuster Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee. Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.), Chris Coons (Del.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Claire McCaskill (Mo.) and Jon Tester (Mont.).

What is significant about this group is that while Tester and Heitkamp and Manchin are facing tough reelection fights in states that went for Trump, Durbin, Blumenthal, and Coons have seats for life and they have strong credibility with the Democrat base. If they aren’t pushing filibuster then, more likely than not, it isn’t going to happen.

Schumer has pretty much locked himself into pushing a filibuster and daring McConnell to get rid of the filibuster. This is going to strike directly at his ability to lead his caucus in the coming fights.

Not only that, but Durbin's position as minority whip speaks loudly here as well.

I am a socially conservative guy @ heart... I live my life socially conservative. We are a progressive society that has broken down a conservative structure to society. That is a great thing. Prog justices have done their part. It will take a lot more than conservatism to take the hearts and minds back.

Anyway... I like this nominee... I think the courts should move conservative.

It fits the time. Adjusts the balance.

Don't look at the percentage, look at actual growth, and Obama had larger economic growth. Teach that!

The world record for 110m HH whilst juggling is 20.36.

170201-trumps-supreme-court-pick_zpsyujs

Magnetism can be measured by lightwaves

How does a mule open a lock?

A don-key

Reagan was not feeling well before meeting whoever ran Russia. He was urged to wait for Russia dude. But instead he wanted to show the strength of 'Murika and he walked down the stairs to meet Boris carloff. Or was it yelsin?

Obama spelled backwards is amabo