The D&C keeps shrinking...and shrinking...and shrinking

i miss being 13-15 when i would print the hyperbills articles and comments to read what was going on about the bills since i was only allowed so much internet time a week. hundreds of dollars of ink and paper finally meant i could internets longer.

News as a whole is disappearing. Local papers are dying. Radio news, outside of holdouts like WBEN, is going away. Even local TV news is getting consolidated. Sunbeam, one of the largest owners of local TV stations, has one central news department for a dozen stations. And the news they do is all feel-good stuff. Nothing hard hitting.

It's no wonder people succumb to fake news stories. They are overwhelmingly uninformed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Buffalo News is an anomaly right now-- as are all the papers under the Berkshire Hathaway umbrella. Just look at Tim Graham's article today on Bjorn Nittmo -- no paper allows that many words and that expense to chase down an issue like concussions and CTE in today's world.

No matter how you feel about Graham (I am a fan)-- the guy is talented at telling a story and the News allows him to do it...there are only a few papers left. The good news is the digital world gives papers like this a global market. Berkshire Hathaway has the resources to define that market.

That's a good analysis. I hate the Bucky/Sully/Timmah trio, but Graham only because of his online act. Otherwise, I'd think he was really good.

I never thought about the B-H part - and didn't really know how good we had it - until my friend was here from the Albany area in December for a Bonnies game (which the News has great coverage of - and the D&C has horrible coverage of - even though the Bonnies play in Roch every year). He was amazed at the number of sportswriters we have. He said it's got to be about 8. I counted one day - and I think it's 12-13, actually.

I still like to sit down on a Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and read the paper front to back. The first thing I do is rearrange it so the sections actually are in alphabetical order. I also want it BEFORE someone else has dissected it, removed coupons (leaving holes in stories), and folded it back up into a wad. This is one of my few anal habits left!

I read news on line, but it can be a drag with popup ads and links to dubious sources. It has definite advantages to get a variety of information, no doubt.

I used PC's and Macs since the early to mid 90's, have a Kindle Fire, a laptop,and a smart phone, so spare me the "codger" jokes. :nana:

I agree newspapers are on their way out, and are nothing like the old papers were. I just think it is too bad. I think that reading paper newspapers, magazines, and books is pleasant and easier on the eyes than digitally.