Metallic Hydrogen Created

Might have been created. That particular experiment is very sketchy.

Personally...I'm very skeptical. They're inferring metallic structure from reflectivity. That's not strictly wrong - reflectivity is caused by conductivity, which is the defining property of a metal. But it's hardly conclusive, since they didn't measure conductivity directly. Simply saying "Oooh, look, shiny!" isn't remotely enough evidence.

And nice write-up by the BBC..."Metallic hydrogen might be used in superconducting power grids!" Yeah...near absolute zero, under five million atmosphere of pressure, for very small currents. Hire some science writers who know something about science, you nitwits.

(Oh, and this pretty much disproves cold fusion. Finally. If hydrogen compressed at 5 million atmospheres won't fuse, then it's not fusing inside a palladium block at an equivalent 5000 atmospheres.)

Personally...I'm very skeptical. They're inferring metallic structure from reflectivity. That's not strictly wrong - reflectivity is caused by conductivity, which is the defining property of a metal. But it's hardly conclusive, since they didn't measure conductivity directly. Simply saying "Oooh, look, shiny!" isn't remotely enough evidence.

And nice write-up by the BBC..."Metallic hydrogen might be used in superconducting power grids!" Yeah...near absolute zero, under five million atmosphere of pressure, for very small currents. Hire some science writers who know something about science, you nitwits.

(Oh, and this pretty much disproves cold fusion. Finally. If hydrogen compressed at 5 million atmospheres won't fuse, then it's not fusing inside a palladium block at an equivalent 5000 atmospheres.)

Nerd

To be fair to the writers of the article, they did say that it could be metatsable, so it might retain its properties when brought to less than extreme conditions. Edited by snafu

Science > /dev/null

This is why so many bright people do not want to go into science - fame

What a disappointment, at first glance I thought this said Metallica Hydrogen and thought this was a new song or something

I find this fascinating. Hopefully it is repeatable and verifiable.

Proud owner of patent licensed by 13 companies.

Like duh! Of course! Being skeptical is a good thing, everybody will be trying to duplicate it. A good thing, a lot of other findings may come out of it. In these quests for this a bunch of other discoveries were found (different states of water, etc...)

Or, you are just pissed because:

Let me guess? Sour grapes because they beat you to it? You had your apparatus all polished up and ready to take it down to 5psi... You were just waiting for the outside temp to reach below freezing in DC. ;-)

It explained and I didn't miss what metastable was. I think like a diamond made from graphite under heat and pressure. With metal H, they theorize w/the return to ambient temp/pressure, it will remain as a metal.

Like duh! Of course! Being skeptical is a good thing, everybody will be trying to duplicate it. A good thing, a lot of other findings may come out of it. In these quests for this a bunch of other discoveries were found (different states of water, etc...)

Or, you are just pissed because:

Let me guess? Sour grapes because they beat you to it? You had your apparatus all polished up and ready to take it down to 5psi... You were just waiting for the outside temp to reach below freezing in DC. ;-)

It explained and I didn't miss what metastable was. I think like a diamond made from graphite under heat and pressure. With metal H, they theorize w/the return to ambient temp/pressure, it will remain as a metal.

Actually, they don't theorize that. The BBC theorizes that. Because - as i said - ****ty science writing. No one reputable believes that, as one look at the phase diagram for hydrogen shows there's no transition of temperature or pressure that won't cause metallic hydrogen to either sublimate or change to a molecular solid or liquid.

Actually, they don't theorize that. The BBC theorizes that. Because - as i said - ****ty science writing. No one reputable believes that, as one look at the phase diagram for hydrogen shows there's no transition of temperature or pressure that won't cause metallic hydrogen to either sublimate or change to a molecular solid or liquid.

Interesting. Your bike compressor broke? Dry ice melted... So harsh! Such a little chubby you got? :-P :-P

Changing/grinding gears a little here. You think that Harvard (was it Harvard?) lab still has it under pressure/temp? 495 whatever/8 degrees away from ab zero. ??

I kinda got the impression they weren't releasing it... Like poof! LoL or is it already up in smoke?

Is it even possible to keep it locked and others look @ it. Naive, I know!

Yes, I am a lay idiot. Go easy on me. But, I stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express last night if it helps!

Anyway... I can't blame them for staking a claim and floating it out there for everyone. Like hitting the buzzer early in Jeopardy! & possibly having to fumble for an answer (in the form of a question though of course). ;-) ;-)

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois