Chiefs WR coach = Bills QB coach

YoloinOhio

I agree, not confidence inspiring at all

lol how much of a difference do you guys think an NFL QB coach really makes? These guys already know how to throw a football.

This man has been coaching for decades at the highest level under one of the best coaches in the NFL. He'll be a valuable asset to the offensive staff regardless what his title says he is.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say more - seems like a lateral move but am I right that he is rounding out his resume?

Why would the Bills hire him to help with his resume? Why not just hire a guy who has coached QBs somewhat recently (this century)?

Edited by Mr. WEO

How many of you posting in this thread even know precisely what a QB coach does? I certainly don't. What I DO know is that position coaches are often capable of coaching more positions than one. It would seem as though a guy who has been coaching for more than two decades probably has expertise in more than one area. But that's just me.

Long article on Cully: http://m.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-WRs-Coach-David-Culleys-Journey-to-the-NFL/21891756-d124-4b4e-9346-6b8382267e72

Haven't read this one yet (damn conference calls), but I don't know this guy, he's a WR coach, what could he possibly know about QBs, nepotism, I blame Doug Whaley, Pegs in over his head, doomed.

We'll SEE if this article can change my mind :D

How many of you posting in this thread even know precisely what a QB coach does? I certainly don't. What I DO know is that position coaches are often capable of coaching more positions than one. It would seem as though a guy who has been coaching for more than two decades probably has expertise in more than one area. But that's just me.

Why does it matter if we know what a QB coach does? Strange question.

Anyway, why is it that this guy, at the tail end of a long career, has never been considered as nor has he been asked to be an NFL QB coach before?

At first I was bummed they were trying to make a WR Coach into a QB Coach.

BUT then I realized maybe that is exactly what TT needs: someone to remind him who the WRs are, and that he's supposed to throw them the ball. :lol::thumbsup:

BUT then you realized he's coming from KC--a team that went 21 consecutive games without throwing a TD to a WR, all of which happened during Culley's tenure. :mellow:

Edited by The Big Cat

Honestly--and lord knows I'm among the last fans to jump up and down and throw a tantrum about a coach hiring, let a lone a positional coach hiring--but that phenomenon gives me pretty significant pause.

You already have significant paws...

As long as he can teach Tyrod how to be 6" taller so he can see an open receiver and hit him in stride, I don't care what kind of coach he is.

Otherwise, find a taller QB that can see something other than the numbers on the back of the O-Line jerseys.

You already have significant paws...

You win.

And yet the Chiefs still find a way of getting to the playoffs. :wacko:

Going 7-3 in one score games doesn't hurt. (difference of 8 points or fewer)

By comparison, BUF was 2-5.

They were much much much better at generating splash plays from ST and DEF.

Looks like a great veteran coach, but he's a career WR coach in the NFL and almost all of his college stints as well.

We still don't have anyone on staff whose even worked with an NFL QB, let alone developed one. I don't see how this is a good thing.

I thought our new offensive coordinator was TT's QB coach in Baltimore

BUT then you realized he's coming from KC--a team that went 21 consecutive games without throwing a TD to a WR, all of which happened during Culley's tenure. :mellow:

Well then, I guess it's good that he's not gonna be coaching wide receivers for the Bills.

Didn't the Chiefs wideouts go all of 2015 w/out a TD?

Apparently so. From his Wiki:" David Culley (born September 17, 1955) is currently the quarterbacks coach for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. His job will be to turn Tyrod Taylor into a Super Bowl champion. As the former WR coach for the Kansas City Chiefs his receiving core went 21 games without catching a single touchdown. This was one of his achievements that qualified him to be a quarterbacks coach for the Buffalo Bills."

:w00t:

Somebody no likey

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

So we have a linebacker teaching guys how to catch, and now the guy who used to teach people how to catch is teaching guys how to throw.

I am beginning to think these assistant coaches aren't that important and their titles don't mean a lot.

They should probably all just be labeled "assistant to head coach" or words to that effect.

Good point.

I remember Fitz once said that only one of his NFL QB Coaches actually coached the mechanics of the QB position. The rest of them did the 'mini OC' stuff I mentioned earlier.