Body of missing Icelandic woman found

Saxum

death being treated as murder, which is extremely rare

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/23/womans-body-found-iceland-rare-murder/96946574/

The largest search and rescue operation in Iceland's history met a grim end Sunday with the discovery of a 20-year-old's body on a beach on the south coast. Birna Brjansdottir had been missing for 8 days, and the AFP notes the country reported on little else during that time. Officials are treating it as murder, and a murder most rare: Iceland has averaged just 1.8 murders per year (among a population of 330,000) since 2001. Brjansdottir was last seen early on Jan. 14, after a night of bar-hopping in Reykjavik.

Very safe spot to live if you do not mind cod.

Brjansdottir's shoes were found in the port of Hafnarfjordur near where the Greenlandic trawler Polar Nanoq had been moored at the time she disappeared. Traces of her blood were found in a Kia Rio rented by the two sailors from the ship and parked near the dock. The car matched one spotted on surveillance footage near the last known sighting of Brjansdottir, per AFP. Members of the elite Viking Squad (Víkingasveitin) intercepted the trawler at sea and interrogated the crew

Of interest to probably only DC Tom:

The US were a invited occupation force in Iceland prior to US's entry to World War II. My uncle served there and said people were extremely friendly. They took over Iceland, a neutral country, to prevent Germany from taking over Iceland after Denmark (for whom Iceland had a relationship with similar to Canada and Great Britain for King of Denmark was also titular crown to Iceland).

In 1945 the last Royal Navy assets were withdrawn; the last airmen of the Royal Air Force left in March 1947. Similarly, some American forces, despite the provisions of their invitation and its fifteen conditions, remained after the end of the war. In 1946 an agreement was signed granting American use of military facilities on the island.
The US stayed to 30 September 2006

http://books.stonebooks.com/history/iceland.shtml

Of interest to probably only DC Tom:

The US were a invited occupation force in Iceland prior to US's entry to World War II. My uncle served there and said people were extremely friendly. They took over Iceland, a neutral country, to prevent Germany from taking over Iceland after Denmark (for whom Iceland had a relationship with similar to Canada and Great Britain for King of Denmark was also titular crown to Iceland).

http://books.stonebooks.com/history/iceland.shtml

Of course I already knew that.

Iceland is AWESOME! Rekjavik is a very fun party town. The people are friendly and I thought the food was pretty good. Iceland Air runs specials all the time where they will give you a free hotel room if you book a "stopover" flight to mainland Europe. Since I cant stand sitting on a plane for more than 5-6 hours, thats how I always go to Europe. Stopover in Rekjavik each way. Sometimes I have to pay for the hotel myself if the airline is not running a special, but its still a very good deal.

How's the food? Watching Bourdain when he visited Iceland was like watching an episode of Fear Factor. Looks like they eat some pretty disgusting stuff.

Bourdain probably went out of his way to try the most "out there" things. The food was fine. Mostly fish and lamb for local dishes but nothing particularly out of the ordinary. It's not as good as France or Italy...it's Northern European bland.

You don't go to Iceland for the food.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

Iceland is AWESOME! Rekjavik is a very fun party town. The people are friendly and I thought the food was pretty good. Iceland Air runs specials all the time where they will give you a free hotel room if you book a "stopover" flight to mainland Europe. Since I cant stand sitting on a plane for more than 5-6 hours, thats how I always go to Europe. Stopover in Rekjavik each way. Sometimes I have to pay for the hotel myself if the airline is not running a special, but its still a very good deal.

:thumbsup:

My brother's girlfriend and some of her friend's did a trip to Iceland... I almost fell off the chair when they said they were making this one of the destination stops:

Maybe NSFW?:

http://phallus.is/en/

LMAO!

I can think of a lot of people on these boards that would be right @ home in that place. Change the name PPP to PPP & P? ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois