Jay Rosen: United Airlines Ticket Agent

I worked in United Operations for 35 years. Retired in 2003. I would bet that they are still using the same 60's Univac base now, that they had the whole time I was there. If that's true, you can only piece, patch and expand till it's just not totally reliable anymore. While it was a bad day for United, Delta, Southwest & American are in very similar situations.

When I was there, we had certain "fallback" procedures that would allow operation during an outage. The people now have no idea what to do, or United does not trust them to do it reliably, so everyone sits and waits for the reboot, and what we see is the result.

I worked in United Operations for 35 years. Retired in 2003. I would bet that they are still using the same 60's Univac base now, that they had the whole time I was there. If that's true, you can only piece, patch and expand till it's just not totally reliable anymore. While it was a bad day for United, Delta, Southwest & American are in very similar situations.

When I was there, we had certain "fallback" procedures that would allow operation during an outage. The people now have no idea what to do, or United does not trust them to do it reliably, so everyone sits and waits for the reboot, and what we see is the result.

Interesting. It seems in recent years this same headline appears for one airline or another every few months.

UNIVAC?

Really?

That's just sad.