(OT) Rochester now owns the Fast Ferry

Mike32282

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It remains to be seen if those kinds of projects help disfunctional bureaucracy's overcome their obvious inadequecy. 

Rochester, WNY, and NYS all suffer from the same backwards thinking and until they realize that continuing to grow government while shrinking the tax base is the opposite of what they should be doing.  Of course, having a populous who're too apathetic or stupid to do anything but the status quo.

255819[/snapback]

Well said, 32 million wasted tax payer dollars. Who the hell would want to come to Rochester from Toronto? I can see a few people going to Totonto for a weekend. What will the Ferry do in the winter? The money would have been better spent on a revitalaztion project.

Well said, 32 million wasted tax payer dollars. Who the hell would want to come to Rochester from Toronto? I can see a few people going to Totonto for a weekend. What will the Ferry do in the winter? The money would have been better spent on a revitalaztion project.

256310[/snapback]

Actually, the ferry will operate in the winter.

Getting permission to transport cargo is going to be the key to making this project only a below profitable venture rather than a colossal mistake.

The Video Lottery Terminals may also play an important part.

It is another case of a city trying to spend its way out of depression.

The best thing to do would be go abandon the cities as they are no longer necessary and serve no purpose. It will be another white elephant just like most everyother project Rochester has done in the last 40 years.

So, what's your opinion on the Renaissance Square?  The one that is going to revitalize downtown?  Performing Arts Center/MCC Downtown Campus/Underground Bus Terminal are going to build downtown....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...60328/1002/NEWS

255802[/snapback]

Actually, the ferry will operate in the winter.

Getting permission to transport cargo is going to be the key to making this project only a below profitable venture rather than a colossal mistake.

The Video Lottery Terminals may also play an important part.

256340[/snapback]

They are working on getting everything setup for the trucks to carry cargo. This is a big reason why it's going to take another 2 months to get everything settled. They are also getting it registered with the US, so they don't have to pay for the special pilot fee.

I also agree that the VLTs are going ot play a huge part. They are doing great in the Finger Lakes and at the other racetracks, I think it would be a smart idea to move VLTs onto the Ferry. That would make money.

I was just watching 10 NBC and saw a news report that the auction is done and Rochester has won the Fast Ferry for $32 million.  Everything's all set and the ferry will start back up again in May. 

I just pray that this was a good move, but I'm not sure.  :rolleyes:

255430[/snapback]

Wow, we signed Jeff Garcia?

(Fast Fairy) :)

$28 per person? $60 per car? An those are ONE-WAY fares! Not going to tempt too many folks with those prices. At 2hrs and 15mins, you can drive there just as fast and it'll cost you one-fifth what the Fast Ferry charges.

PTR

$28 per person?  $60 per car?  An those are ONE-WAY fares!  Not going to tempt too many folks with those prices.  At 2hrs and 15mins, you can drive there just as fast and it'll cost you one-fifth what the Fast Ferry charges.

PTR

256702[/snapback]

That was the old prices. They haven't set new ones yet. Rumor is that they may be lower, if they get the trucks and cargo to board it.

Unfortunately, it costs at least double to take the ferry over and saves no time. I was going to take the ferry, but it shut down before we could. I'd ride it once and that's about all.

I also heard yesterday that they expect ticket prices will be even higher when it starts running again.

I find it amazing that the mayor of Rochester so fully supports something that most of his constituents will never be able to afford to use.

Well, I know if I was going to Toronto for a weekend, even though the cost before was about the same, whether I drove around the lake or rode the ferry, I'd take the ferry, since it's more relaxing.

256556[/snapback]