Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I was saying. The guys that cover the Broncos don't even know what kind of coordinator he is because it was all Kubiak.

Similar to Mike Pettine when he came over. Dennison has built game plans for Kubiak. Play calling is actually the easiest part of being a coordinator. Everything is pretty much scripted based on down and distance in the game plan.

I was out to dinner so I missed my opportunity to freak out with everyone else. Now that it's sunk in for a bit it's like meh, let's see what he can do. Could have been worse, could have been Olson. McCoy was the one I wanted so I think McDermott oversold himself, or at least the media did by tying those 2 together. Oh well no use worrying about it now. At least it's someone with some experience. Let's see what happens

:rolleyes:

I'm always wary of how much credit to give any OC under a HC who runs the whole offensive show like Kubiak does. I like Dennison's experience but he's never really had his own offense. I'm sure he's prepared for it, and has it ready to be installed. But it's still a guy who never ran the show.

Well, maybe he'll run a base offense & he will tell his guys that on 3rd & one were not running an empty backfield, we're going to line up; impose our will & get the 1st down.

Edited by 1st&ten

One thing I gotta say, between Rex's giant (literally and figuratively) staff of coaches and the fact that McDermott, the fact that he's a new HC aside, is hiring name coaches for coordinators makes me appreciate the Pegula coach hiring approach as opposed to that of a bygone era, no disrespect intended.

I'm also thrilled to see that, as a new HC, McDermott has staff in place to be able to abdicate calling the defense and concentrate on being a head coach, assuming he chooses to do that.

I was out to dinner so I missed my opportunity to freak out with everyone else. Now that it's sunk in for a bit it's like meh, let's see what he can do. Could have been worse, could have been Olson. McCoy was the one I wanted so I think McDermott oversold himself, or at least the media did by tying those 2 together. Oh well no use worrying about it now. At least it's someone with some experience. Let's see what happens

Well, I'm sure the media will label this as more of the dysfunction at OBD.

Well, not McDermott's first choice obviously but hopefully it will work out. If the Bills offense looks like Kubiak's when he was with Houston and Baltimore then I think it may be a decent fit. Although, I assume that was Kubiak's scheme more than Dennison's.

I am hoping for some karma here.

in my house, We have blamed the curse on my daughter being born in August 99...last time in playoffs for Bills!

She is leaving the house in August to go to college..and going too...Denison!!!!

That has to be a curse buster no?

I said it above. I'm always wary of guys who were OCs under HCs who ran the entire show on that side of the ball and called plays, too. It's possible he will do well on his own. And he had great experience. But it was always Kubiak. I'm rooting for him.

KTD, I get what you're saying. On the one hand, he's never run his own offense. All the stats are meaningless because in the end they were produced by someone else.

On the other hand, Dennison had an excellent mentor. He worked with Kubiak long enough to learn everything there was to learn from the man.

As folks outside the NFL, we really don't have enough data to have a good idea if Dennison will succeed or fail. His resume says he's ready to finally become a real OC, but he's never actually been one.

Neither confidence nor pessimism seem warranted under the circumstances - unless we're so jaded as Bills fans that predicting failure seems the safest bet.

Reading the comments here tells us more about the fan than about Dennison. It's kind of football fan Rorschach test. The picture is ambiguous. What you decide to see depends on your personality.

Do we need to switch to a stretch zone run blocking/play action system?

That is my only concern. Would require light athletic linemen - change of personnel.

Ryan Groy is the interesting name here. I think LT/LG would be okay with that philosophical shift but less sure about Wood/Miller. Groy really is a cut above them as an athlete and acquitted himself well when pressed into action.

One thing I gotta say, between Rex's giant (literally and figuratively) staff of coaches and the fact that McDermott, the fact that he's a new HC aside, is hiring name coaches for coordinators makes me appreciate the Pegula coach hiring approach as opposed to that of a bygone era, no disrespect intended.

I'm also thrilled to see that, as a new HC, McDermott has staff in place to be able to abdicate calling the defense and concentrate on being a head coach, assuming he chooses to do that.

When I saw the number of coaches Rex hired, I knew it would be a disaster, like it was for Washington when they did it several years ago. Too many cooks...