Dennis Thurman Interviewing for Washington's DC Job

Does Washington have any idea of what's going on?

Should be a short interview. When Gruden asks what happened in Buffalo and DT gives his answer and shoulder shrug, Jay will then say "Dennis, thanks a lot for coming today. Best of luck..." Edited by BillnutinHouston

What is up with these crap coordinators getting interviews? Why is Rob Ryan getting an interview? Thurman? How is Hackett an OC again? Why is Greg Olsen even in a discussion? It's amazing that teams spend countless hours and treasure finding the "right" head coach but when it comes to coordinators, they embrace mediocrity.

If I'm Washington and my choice is between Ryan and Thurman, I pick Jeff, the 25 year old intern. I'll take my chances with Jeff.

Should be a short interview. When Gruden asks what happened in Buffalo and DT gives his answer and shoulder shrug, Jay will then say "Dennis, thanks a lot for coming today. Best of luck..."

That will put him ahead of Rob on their list of candidates. The shoulder shrug is a better explanation than what Rob must have given.

What is up with these crap coordinators getting interviews? Why is Rob Ryan getting an interview? Thurman? How is Hackett an OC again? Why is Greg Olsen even in a discussion? It's amazing that teams spend countless hours and treasure finding the "right" head coach but when it comes to coordinators, they embrace mediocrity.

If I'm Washington and my choice is between Ryan and Thurman, I pick Jeff, the 25 year old intern. I'll take my chances with Jeff.

I don't know if Thurman and Hackett are bad coordinators.

At least here, Hackett was stuck running Marrone's offense. Some players said Hackett wanted to open things up but St. Doug wouldn't let him. Furthermore, Hackett wasn't truly ready to be a NFL OC at the time. But he's a smart young guy and probably learned a lot from the experience.

Thurman's is a similar situation. He's been running Rex's defense and calling plays (if he actually called plays) the way Rex wanted. To complicated things, some players say Rob Ryan was pretty much running the D. It was a toxic situation with 3 cooks in the kitchen and no one of them truly in charge. It's hard to know what Thurman could do if the was the de facto and de jure DC.

At least here, Hackett was stuck running Marrone's offense. Some players said Hackett wanted to open things up but St. Doug wouldn't let him. Furthermore, Hackett wasn't truly ready to be a NFL OC at the time. But he's a smart young guy and probably learned a lot from the experience.

Thurman's is a similar situation. He's been running Rex's defense and calling plays (if he actually called plays) the way Rex wanted. To complicated things, some players say Rob Ryan was pretty much running the D. It was a toxic situation with 3 cooks in the kitchen and no one of them truly in charge. It's hard to know what Thurman could do if the was the de facto and de jure DC.

Agreed. Thurman never really had a true opportunity to run his own defense under Rex. Maybe Washington will get to find out.

You're more optimistic than I am. I see lots of poor personnel choices there. Hiring coordinators before they are ready, running offenses and defenses that don't work and getting used to doing so. Ryan has failed in three cities and had an optimum situation in Buffalo and still failed. Thurman saw things decline in NY and Buffalo and was happy to keep collecting the paycheck and being a yes man.

"Yes" men make poor chiefs because they are used to having someone else make the decisions and are uncomfortable with the responsibility.

Those are traits I wouldn't want in a coordinator. I wouldn't want these guys to wait until an interview to tell me "it'll be different this time! Promise!" when their history and past results suggest otherwise.

When they interviewed Rob Ryan as well ... so ... no, they do not.

Perhaps they interviewed Rob in an attempt to get some perspective on how the dysfunction worked in Buffalo last year, ahead of interviewing Thurman.

I'm sure some take the position you can't hold Thurman responsible if Rex & Rob were both meddling.

i realize this will not be popular, but perhaps they are getting interviews bc they are valued commodities among the professionals that know your statistical rankings dont necessarily equate to your skill at coaching?

i also realize you will ignore this, but rob ryan has indeed been part of terrific turnarounds of a previously poorly performing defense. he also was forced to run a defense he didnt like with very subpar talent in nawlins. and they had some excruciatingly frustrating strings of injuries here in buffalo

flame away, but i believe its entirely possible that the people that actually get paid for making these decisions might know something more than fans that are as emotional and lacking in rationality as a preteen girl. just sayin

thanks for the vote of confidence. i've paid my dues.