I'm shocked by this, shocked I say!

But we're getting a gondola! (which will only be used for about two weeks a year, to travel a distance of half a mile)

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2017/01/cuomos_cny_budget_includes_gondola_from_fairgrounds_to_lakeview_amphitheater.html

Gondolas are cool... This past Christmas in Steamboat, I noticed one of the resorts had one to bring its people into the base area. It was fully automated too. Only takes hiring an occassional operator to watch security, safety... Too bad... I would have looked further out, we stayed slopeside, ski in, ski out.

It is probably cheaper to do than a shuttle bus... Once it is built, it starts paying for itself...

Then safety... I think the Colorado chair lift accident (Granby Ski Ranch), tragic as it was, last month was the first death in 25 or so years... Millions and millions ride ski lifts and very low safety incidents.

I bet in long run, gondola, as fancy, smancy as it sounds pays for itself as an automated people mover. And like most places that don't use lifts as much, NYS should look into a used unit from a major ski area that may be upgrading their lift.

Delve deeper... Outside your ingrained sensibilities... Great way to automate and eliminate some jobs and still move people.

Boomers will be croaking soon... Why have a glut of jobs.. Get ourselves into the mess Germany is in... Labor shortages.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not to be outdone by his neighbor to the north, the uber-taxer Tom Wolf presents a proposal to hike even more taxes:

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-pa-wolf-budget-tax-speech-0209-20160209-story.html

post-1877-0-68645500-1485361046_thumb.jpg

You have two feet. Move to the areas where people have three, along with 4 fingers and toes... ;-) ;-P

Great... Redistribute the population that flees to other places w/cheap taxes. Move. Sure it will be bad, but let the other areas collapse under the weight of the population. All the prime geographic northern market locations should follow suit and get on board together with raising taxes. Don't like it, move. Like when King Daley told the Chicago Bears, they can move to Gary, Indiana if they want...