The Trump Economy

GG

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If by libertarian you mean "globalist 'free' trade oriented," then yes, you're probably right.

Perhaps you and Bannon can explain how the US can provide 1/5 of global GDP by turning more inward. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Azalin said:

In defense of those pols on the right, any time propose anything (literally anything) that will reduce spending, they are always (literally always) accused in the mainstream press of wanting to starve infants, children, minorities, etc, etc, etc by withholding funds necessary to keep the truly needy alive. Even if that could be further from the truth, that's how it's always portrayed.

It's the gatorman spin, straight from the textbook.

Agree and to that I say damn the torpedos and full speed ahead.  Go through the budget with a fine tooth comb, right size the government and accept whatever are the political consequences.  It's never been done.  The result might surprise us.  Voters might support it just as they did Trump against the opinions and prognostications of so many. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GG said:

Perhaps you and Bannon can explain how the US can provide 1/5 of global GDP by turning more inward. 

If I'm understanding your response, I have a question: Why are we responsible for that? Why should we work to improve economic outcomes anywhere BUT here? China's been ripping us off for 20 years, stealing our IP, propping up their currency...and they're not the only ones taking advantage of our weakness. It's about damned time someone did something about it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If I'm understanding your response, I have a question: Why are we responsible for that? Why should we work to improve economic outcomes anywhere BUT here? China's been ripping us off for 20 years, stealing our IP, propping up their currency...and they're not the only ones taking advantage of our weakness. It's about damned time someone did something about it.

What in the world are you blabbing about?  That shows a gross misunderstanding of how the economy functions.  

We are not "responsible" for China's economy.  We produce and consume 20 percent of global output while holding 5 percent of population.  How do you expect that to occur if there's no open market?

The China trade matter is totally different because now they're abusing it. But the way to fix it is not by starting a global trade war. 

57 minutes ago, GG said:

What in the world are you blabbing about?  That shows a gross misunderstanding of how the economy functions.  

We are not "responsible" for China's economy.  We produce and consume 20 percent of global output while holding 5 percent of population.  How do you expect that to occur if there's no open market?

The China trade matter is totally different because now they're abusing it. But the way to fix it is not by starting a global trade war. 

How do you propose you hold them accountable?

2 hours ago, GG said:

Don’t confuse free trade in goods with labor arbitrage. 

55 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Allowing China into the wto was an unmitigated disaster for us. Of course, CEOs loved the idea.

As does Wall Street and their focus on short-term profitability. Any idiot CEO can increase profits by moving overseas...

4 hours ago, TPS said:

Don’t confuse free trade in goods with labor arbitrage. 

I remember a certain economist who espoused a theory that as capitalism continues to succeed, there will be a shortage of workers who will want to accept menial, low skilled work.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, LABillzFan said:

You can always tell when a registered Republican is president.

People on the left suddenly are interested in the budget deficit.

And the GOP is not

20 minutes ago, baskin said:

And the GOP is not

Way to keep up, twit.

22 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes and pols on the right become less interested. 

20 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Yep.

13 hours ago, GG said:

I remember a certain economist who espoused a theory that as capitalism continues to succeed, there will be a shortage of workers who will want to accept menial, low skilled work.

You'll have expand on that one, since it doesn't really address any point in the thread.  If you're talking about me, I may have once said something related to farm workers, that you won't find "Americans" picking strawberries.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

You'll have expand on that one, since it doesn't really address any point in the thread.  If you're talking about me, I may have once said something related to farm workers, that you won't find "Americans" picking strawberries.

I think it was your previous references to Levy or Minsky, but I'll use your strawberry picking example.  As the economy grows and standards of living rise, there is going to be a shortage of menial low skilled workers.  Technology has been a much greater killer of those vaunted manufacturing jobs than China.

you can't be "left" if you haven't read at least one book teaching you it's politics

suddenly declaring yourself political doesn't work

actually, never mind... just keep doing what you are doing, it's so cute and sweet

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you can't be "left" if you haven't read at least one book teaching you it's politics

suddenly declaring yourself political doesn't work

actually, never mind... just keep doing what you are doing, it's so cute and sweet

Who are you referring to?

33 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Who are you referring to?

the sudden sprouting up of 120,000,000 Americans who now call themselves "left-wing"

they aren't remotely close to anything as defined by "left-wing"

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the sudden sprouting up of 120,000,000 Americans who now call themselves "left-wing"

they aren't remotely close to anything as defined by "left-wing"

So, you weren't responding to anyone you were just pontificating?

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, you weren't responding to anyone you were just pontificating?

i think i've chosen to ignore all the trendy lefties on here

to Canada and UK board members, the left is a real political movement that often holds power at Provincial levels and sometimes has strong minority power at the Federal level

the US has nothing remotely close to Labour or New Democrat Party thinking or organizing

------------------------------------------------

an American calling themself Left is about as weak as saying they are an Evangelical Christian.  They won't be able to survive a second question that is entry-level DUH for a real Lefty or Christian.

Doesn't stop 120,000,000 from doing so though...

3 hours ago, GG said:

I think it was your previous references to Levy or Minsky, but I'll use your strawberry picking example.  As the economy grows and standards of living rise, there is going to be a shortage of menial low skilled workers.  Technology has been a much greater killer of those vaunted manufacturing jobs than China.

From the mid-1960s until 2000 US manufacturing jobs hovered around 17 million +/- 1 mil. Your technology impact is accounted for in that data, as manufacturing output increased over this time period (output increases with the same number of workers). In 2000 there were 17.3 US million manufacturing jobs, and by 2007 they fell to 13.9 million, a 20% drop. Over this same time period, the goods deficit with China increased from $84 billion to $260 billion, or 300%.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence....

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i think i've chosen to ignore all the trendy lefties on here

to Canada and UK board members, the left is a real political movement that often holds power at Provincial levels and sometimes has strong minority power at the Federal level

the US has nothing remotely close to Labour or New Democrat Party thinking or organizing

------------------------------------------------

an American calling themself Left is about as weak as saying they are an Evangelical Christian.  They won't be able to survive a second question that is entry-level DUH for a real Lefty or Christian.

Doesn't stop 120,000,000 from doing so though...

You didn't answer my questions, so I'm guessing that you were just pontificating from left field.