The Trump Economy

GG

17 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What age range of young Americans are you referring to? What type of investments should be made, and by whom?

nobody means anything by that, they feel good saying it though

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like American consumers will be paying more for imports now. And there seems to be no real reason for this except that Trump wants to play Trade War President. This is completely insane. It will cost people jobs, hurt farmers and workers and accomplish what?? What is the end game here? China, Europe, Mexico and Canada will buy more of our things or something? 

This topic probably deserves it own thread. Maybe tomorrow

40 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: :lol: you can't make this up.

An infinite number of monkeys with typewriters will recreate Shakespeare's works in an indeterminate amount of time.

Print Democratic talking points and let one monkey pick them randomly out of a bowl, and it'll recreate Pelosi's statement in about ten minutes.

Seriously, I could write a script that would generate statements like that.  I could write one that would include "Because of the failed policies of the Bush Administration" and out-Pelosi Pelosi.

• Haha (+1) 1

MORNING IN AMERICA: More say they’re ‘better off’ under Trump, including blacks, Hispanics.

The improving economy has helped President Trump keep the support of his “base” of 2016 voters strong, and is opening the door for blacks, Hispanics and younger voters to join them.

Citing those results in new surveys, Democratic pollster John Zogby is declaring that Trump will be tough to beat in 2020 despite his high disapproval ratings.

“President Donald Trump’s support is actually increasing among voters and offers data to explain why he may be re-elected in 2020,” he said.

This is Democrats’ worst nightmare, of course.

Related: ‘I’m off the plantation, bro!’ Video of black Stanford student goes viral. Here’s his back story. 

“I’ve been researching Black Lives Matter and I’ve been understanding the politics and how they are funded by white liberals. And recently I’ve been feeling like [BLM is] white liberals in black face. … It’s because the white liberals are all about feminism, LGBT — white liberals don’t really care about black people. I realize, white liberals don’t really care about me, bro. I’m off the plantation, bro! I’m off the plantation, bro!”

by Glenn Reynolds permalink.gif

Edited by B-Man

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

MORNING IN AMERICA: More say they’re ‘better off’ under Trump, including blacks, Hispanics.

The improving economy has helped President Trump keep the support of his “base” of 2016 voters strong, and is opening the door for blacks, Hispanics and younger voters to join them.

Citing those results in new surveys, Democratic pollster John Zogby is declaring that Trump will be tough to beat in 2020 despite his high disapproval ratings.

“President Donald Trump’s support is actually increasing among voters and offers data to explain why he may be re-elected in 2020,” he said.

This is Democrats’ worst nightmare, of course.

Related: ‘I’m off the plantation, bro!’ Video of black Stanford student goes viral. Here’s his back story. 

“I’ve been researching Black Lives Matter and I’ve been understanding the politics and how they are funded by white liberals. And recently I’ve been feeling like [BLM is] white liberals in black face. … It’s because the white liberals are all about feminism, LGBT — white liberals don’t really care about black people. I realize, white liberals don’t really care about me, bro. I’m off the plantation, bro! I’m off the plantation, bro!”

by Glenn Reynolds permalink.gif

Oh but the tax cuts will mean more US manufacturing! 

Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. ...

May 11, 2018 - Harley says it's moving the Kansas City work to the company's plant in York, ... Harley-Davidson has said the Thailand plant will assemble bikes ...

Nice video on this about what a trade war looks like. Has a run down on the Smoot-Hawley tariff fiasco and on how Trump's tariff foolery will impact Iowa pig industry and consumers 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2018/06/01/mexico-pork-tariffs-us-trade-war-nafta-canada-iowa-grocery-bill/662936002/

44 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

An infinite number of monkeys with typewriters will recreate Shakespeare's works in an indeterminate amount of time.

Print Democratic talking points and let one monkey pick them randomly out of a bowl, and it'll recreate Pelosi's statement in about ten minutes.

Seriously, I could write a script that would generate statements like that.  I could write one that would include "Because of the failed policies of the Bush Administration" and out-Pelosi Pelosi.

If you want it really quick just outsource it to gator.

Hey, at least Putin is happy with the move! Weakening our trade relations is a key Russian goal, just like working on destroying the EU. 

The Business Roundtable issued a blistering statement, condemning the move: “The Administration’s decision to drop steel and aluminum tariff exemptions for America’s allies only worsens a self-inflicted wound on our economy and unnecessarily exposes U.S. exporters to foreign retaliation. While addressing global overcapacity of steel and aluminum is a worthy objective, using ‘national security’ arguments under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 weakens the international trading system and encourages other nations to use ‘national security’ to place barriers against U.S. goods and services from entering their markets.” It predicted, “These tariffs and increased costs have already caused harm to U.S. businesses and workers.”

If you want to watch a interesting interview between  Stephen Bannon and  Fareed Zakaria it is well worth watching. 

I thought Bannon was just a extremist but not anymore. 

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Oh but the tax cuts will mean more US manufacturing! 

Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. ...

May 11, 2018 - Harley says it's moving the Kansas City work to the company's plant in York, ... Harley-Davidson has said the Thailand plant will assemble bikes ...

Nice video on this about what a trade war looks like. Has a run down on the Smoot-Hawley tariff fiasco and on how Trump's tariff foolery will impact Iowa pig industry and consumers 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2018/06/01/mexico-pork-tariffs-us-trade-war-nafta-canada-iowa-grocery-bill/662936002/

Harley is closing KC because their key demo (boomers) is aging out of the product and York is more technologically advanced and can handle their current demand. The Thailand plant is their attempt at getting a foothold in the overseas scooter market to shore up lost revenue as younger US ingenerations aren’t as interested in driving cars let alone motorcycles..they won’t be building Fatboys and Sportsters there. Also the tariffs don’t mean much to them as most overseas countries already slap hefty tariffs on their products to the tune of 30-50% but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.

Edited by Kevbeau

20 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.

Nothing gets in the way of his narrative.  Neither facts, nor reason, nor common sense shall keep gatorman from his appointed stupidity.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

Harley is closing KC because their key demo (boomers) is aging out of the product and York is more technologically advanced and can handle their current demand. The Thailand plant is their attempt at getting a foothold in the overseas scooter market to shore up lost revenue as younger US ingenerations aren’t as interested in driving cars let alone motorcycles..they won’t be building Fatboys and Sportsters there. Also the tariffs don’t mean much to them as most overseas countries already slap hefty tariffs on their products to the tune of 30-50% but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.

In fairness to Tibs, he doesn't actually know or understand what he posts. He's just posting what he's told to post.

"Oh, crap. 200,000 more people are at work! Black unemployment is the lowest it's been in 20 years. Quick, get this link about HD out to everyone so we can attempt to change the narrative. Make sure they have a link to Pelosi's statement about how much worse off middle America is with their crumbs!"

17 hours ago, ALF said:

If you want to watch a interesting interview between  Stephen Bannon and  Fareed Zakaria it is well worth watching. 

I thought Bannon was just a extremist but not anymore. 

Haven't seen it, but I'm assuming you mean that in a good way? Bannon was one of a few in the administration that I liked, at least in terms of his economic populism. Now there's no one left who can keep Trump focused on that.

Edited by TPS

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

Haven't seen it, but I'm assuming you mean that in a good way? Bannon was one of a few in the administration that I liked, at least in terms of his economic populism. Now there's no one left who can keep Trump focused on that.

I was shocked he made a lot of sense at least on trade and jobs which was the main topic.  

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

I was shocked he made a lot of sense at least on trade and jobs which was the main topic.  

Amazing how your opinion of somebody can change when judging them directly instead of relying on the media narrative

• Like (+1) 3