The Trump Economy

GG

can all the swamis who predicted the DJIA would be well over 26,000 come forward please?

oh, nobody? Good work, raises for everyone and make sure to let us know your dart board guesses for the short term as well.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Cinga said:

Show me where this has proven true. In your scenario, business has no need to compete with each other for labor (which IS what drives up wages), your instead giving them a constant flow of workers for less money

It's not a zero sum game. The economy expands and needs new workers. If a company can't get people to, say work on an assembly line, it can't make widgets, therefore it can't pay people to deliver said widgets, or buy parts to make them, raw materials, etc. It's a chain reaction. Look at construction, if there are not enough builders, the lumber trade get hurts, and so on. Immigrants fill a need and help everyone in the economy 

If you sell short right now, based on your predictions of gloom, you will reap such a huge profit after leeching on the rise, complaining the whole time.

one former acquaintance made so much for his firm, riding a bubble and selling short at just the right time, that they fired him when they gave him his bonus cheque, correctly saying he now had a life of leisure. 

So to all you doomsayers, please start selling short and let us know you are doing so.... we applaud you...  pretty please?

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

If you sell short right now, based on your predictions of gloom, you will reap such a huge profit after leeching on the rise, complaining the whole time.

one former acquaintance made so much for his firm, riding a bubble and selling short at just the right time, that they fired him when they gave him his bonus cheque, correctly saying he now had a life of leisure. 

So to all you doomsayers, please start selling short and let us know you are doing so.... we applaud you...  pretty please?

If you're posting at me, maybe you should read my prediction again. I said 2018 is going to be a good year, and 2019 has a strong possibility of recession. I'm riding the wave this year Dude...kowabunga!

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

It's not a zero sum game. The economy expands and needs new workers. If a company can't get people to, say work on an assembly line, it can't make widgets, therefore it can't pay people to deliver said widgets, or buy parts to make them, raw materials, etc. It's a chain reaction. Look at construction, if there are not enough builders, the lumber trade get hurts, and so on. Immigrants fill a need and help everyone in the economy 

That is the really good part of a workers labor market. Face it. labor is a commodity, but one the individual can control in a free market and it's a simple supply and demand argument. If your company is short on labor to make widgets, they have to make that position more attractive to the workforce through higher pay and benefits.  In this labor market, it gives the worker more control over their career, and allows them to market themselves to the highest bidder. 

In your scenario on the other hand, you only make the argument in favor of business, bringing in cheap labor to make those widgets which in turn, keep wages artificially low.  Especially now we don't want this happening. I know people are happy about the low unemployment rate, but the E6 is still quite high, so until they re-enter the job market, we don't need immigration (legal or illegal) to keep wages stagnate. 

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

23 minutes ago, Cinga said:

That is the really good part of a workers labor market. Face it. labor is a commodity, but one the individual can control in a free market and it's a simple supply and demand argument. If your company is short on labor to make widgets, they have to make that position more attractive to the workforce through higher pay and benefits.  In this labor market, it gives the worker more control over their career, and allows them to market themselves to the highest bidder. 

In your scenario on the other hand, you only make the argument in favor of business, bringing in cheap labor to make those widgets which in turn, keep wages artificially low.  Especially now we don't want this happening. I know people are happy about the low unemployment rate, but the E6 is still quite high, so until they re-enter the job market, we don't need immigration (legal or illegal) to keep wages stagnate. 

Woooosh!

AT&T laid off 4,000

Macy's 10,000

GE 12,000
Carrier's laying off 215 more after Trump promised to protect them
Walmart's laying off thousands
Toys R Us is closing 180 stores
40,000 tourism jobs lost in #TrumpSlump
Kimberly-Clark's using their tax cut to pay the costs of laying off 5,500

#ThatsWinning?

17 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

AT&T laid off 4,000

Macy's 10,000

GE 12,000

#ThatsWinning?

Just wait for the darn jobs reports to come out like I'll do and then compare the trends.  Everything else right now in the news is just smoke and mirrors.  My hope is that with unemployment so low companies like Wal Mart will increase hourly wages to quality employees to retain them.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

AT&T laid off 4,000

Macy's 10,000

GE 12,000

#ThatsWinning?

These kind of posts give me cause to think some people will just never get it.

No Trump supporter, but just silly to deny reality.

Things, worldwide, are going really well.

Pay any attention to Davos?

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Of course they didn't. Nothing that happened in Davos can be reduced to an idiotic twitter hashtag.

27 minutes ago, sherpa said:

"At Davos, the Real Star May Have Been China, Not Trump" - NYT

"At Davos—and Always—Donald Trump Can Only Think in the Present Tense" - New Yorker

"Trump took a couple questions and gave a pro-growth, pro-America message exactly the way he wanted to say it: In blustery, discursive words that fit precisely the dim view many in the audience already held of the U.S. leader." - Politico

"TRUMP UNLEASHES INNER CAR SALESMAN ON DAVOS ELITE" - Vanity Fair

"Trump Booed At Davos For Criticizing ‘Fake’ Media" - Huffington Post

Sounds like an unmitigated disaster.  When you cherry-pick the appropriate headlines and stories, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Haters gonna hate, now they will hate you.

(just laugh at them)

Davos has nothing to do with Trump.

Nothing.

CEO after CEO stated how it was the most positive economic environment they could remember.

Politics will always follow economic performance, and economic performance is great, worldwide.

Absolutely ebullient comments, day after day.

Noting to do with politics, and politics should stay out of the way.

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

AT&T laid off 4,000

Macy's 10,000

GE 12,000

#ThatsWinning?

You forgot Sears/Kmart.  They are closing many stores.  Definitely Trump's fault. 

There is no one that can reasonably make the argument that Trumps policies aren't better for the economy than Obama's.  Trump has been good for the economy, so much so that despite how much I dislike the man i ma6 vote for him

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

You forgot Sears/Kmart.  They are closing many stores.  Definitely Trump's fault. 

Somewhere there is a wife/mother dying of cancer. While Mitch Romney may have given that poor soul cancer, this sad cautionary tale is that of what happens when you elect Donald Trump as president. Just like when the cyclical economy cycles downward, it will all be because we were stupid enough to elect Trump.

A Hillary presidency would have prevented that cancerous growth, and would have ushered in a golden age of endless and boundless economic prosperity. So in reality, the end of the world is really the fault of white cis-gendered males for electing Trump.

Or something. Kill whitey.

Edited by Koko78

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

You forget (or perhaps you haven't been here long enough to know) that he finds Hillary Clinton DREAMY &'s not happy she's not our Emperor. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

There is no one that can reasonably make the argument that Trumps policies aren't better for the economy than Obama's.  Trump has been good for the economy, so much so that despite how much I dislike the man i ma6 vote for him

99.9% of the people making that argument are either absolutely clueless about incentives and motivation to invest and grow businesses or a pure partisan shills.

Joe is a combination of both.