The Trump Economy

GG

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There was a question asked today at the presser if Trump was at all worried about the generosity of that extra $600 of unemployment under the CARES act,  and if it would be extended past the end of July? Trump mentioned that indeed that was a concern, and why they tried to have to redone (remember Lindsey Graham trying to get that rewritten when they figured it out? He's not having an extension), but the Democrats were having none of it. They wanted the unemployed to be able to earn more than when they were working.

And an anecdotal story... we were supposed to have our windows washed earlier this month. The owner called the day before to reschedule (NYS had asked them to), and he mentioned to me that he was having a difficult time getting guys to work as they were making more on unemployment. It does happen.

If you get paid more from unemployment than sitting home and watching Netflix you're pry rooting for these lock down orders to stay in place.  From an economic standpoint, I don't blame them.  If I was in that situation, I'd go back to work for free if I was still getting that unemployment check that paid more.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better here... Fox town hall

Easy question about infrastructure -  he's been on infrastructure for a while now. 

Trump said they are not doing anything without a payroll tax cut.

Mnuchin - through the cracks of the paycheck protection program.
Listing what they have done.  $3T into the economy. For the Americans who have not received their money, they will over the next few weeks. (the $1200)
Will go back and work with Congress to stimulate the economy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There was a question from a guy who imports from China, and asking if Trump would consider lifting the tariffs.
$19B being distributed to the farmers from China tariffs. And money goes back into the treasury. (Basically, the guy is SOL)

Brett: Have you considered more tariffs to make China pay for the virus?
Trump: Well, we are considering all options.
At a minimum, tariffs are our greatest negotiating tool. 
They have to buy from us, if they do not buy, we will terminate the deal.
And, complaining about WHO and WTO. All they do is agree with China. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Mnuchin: 
Not bailing out states that were poorly managed before this crisis.
On Friday, they signed to allow states to use money to pay police, firemen, etc (part of the  $150B coronavirus state aid).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

If you would have told me on November 10, 2016 that the Trump presidency would end in 2020 with the economy failing and the country dying...I would have totally believed you.

It's been apparent that you are unable to think for yourself, but the next time you commit plagiarism, remember to change the font size to match the default here.

Edit to add:

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

U.S. shed 20.5 million jobs in April amid pandemic

Analysts warned it could take many years to return to the 3.5 percent unemployment rate experienced in February.

Workers fear for their health and finances as states rush to reopen

Many of the 33 million unemployed Americans may not be ready to retake their old jobs but may not have much choice.

130 years of unemployment
Seasonally adjusted. Data since 1948 from U.S. Dept. of Labor; earlier estimates from Journal of Monetary Economics. (Andrew Van Dam/The Post)
  • Haha (+1) 1

The jobs numbers deepen the predicament not only for Trump but for every down-ballot Republican. With 14.7 percent unemployment and state and local governments on the verge of more layoffs, Senate and House Republicans are urging Trump to oppose relief that would keep hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of police officers, firefighters, emergency medical technicians, public hospital nurses and doctors, teachers and other essential workers on payroll. A group of bizarrely tone-deaf conservatives in the House — including House Freedom Caucus Chair Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), as well as Reps. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.), Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Van Taylor (R-Tex.), Russ Fulcher (Idaho), Ken Buck (R-Colo.), Ralph Norman (R-S.C.), Chip Roy (R-Tex.), Ben Cline (R-Va.) and Scott Perry (R-Pa.) — wrote to Trump pleading with him not to send money to their cash-strapped states and cities. The voters of Arizona, Colorado, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Idaho, Virginia and Pennsylvania should know that their representatives are happy to see even more of them unemployed (although Republicans happily supported $500 billion for large corporations).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/08/trumps-principal-argument-reelection-has-vanished/

They want to let the States and local governments starve? Idiots, and animals. They just hate the country 

images-1.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Reality Check said:

I take it your "public" funding is at risk. 

The economy is, it's just that Republicans are too stupid to see that, or really care. Like how you try and make it about me personally, because you have no argument. You must be a real frustrated loser 1st class. ?

Just now, Tiberius said:

The economy is, it's just that Republicans are too stupid to see that, or really care. Like how you try and make it about me personally, because you have no argument. You must be a real frustrated loser 1st class. ?

You are correct, I have no argument. I am merely entertaining my self. I didn't create a world full of sheep who generally take the easy way out. Well, all those trends have led us to today. Few were willing to accept the ounce of prevention approach and now we get to enjoy the ton of cure. You try to hide your hostility but it's like a cancer eating away at you. Why else do you support everything that has brought our collective problems to such a zenith? The best part is that you promote all the people and ideas that created such a mess in the first place. Even for those that think they are awake, they are still generally naive about the true horror show that has plagued us and the world. We aren't all gonna make it through this. Might as well enjoy the ride and hope for the best. You do you though. Believe me, I am looking forward to all of your commentary over the next 12 months...that is if you can last that long. Personally, I doubt you have the endurance.?