The Trump Economy

GG

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No I just need to follow along a little better.  

But my point still stands that both sides are very guilty of this practice.  Because I mistakenly used the word all (and I rarely paint with a broad brush) does not have me backing down from my point.  

Apology accepted.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Apology accepted.

I owned up to it.  No need to apologize.  Especially to you.  

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Chef must have mistaken Sarin for Saffron in his bouillabaisse.

This doesn't even make sense.  

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

No I just need to follow along a little better.  

But my point still stands that both sides are very guilty of this practice.  Because I mistakenly used the word all (and I rarely paint with a broad brush) does not have me backing down from my point.  

I can't get past "guy or gal" in your earlier post.  You have this cutting edge avatar with a cleaved chef head and went 1950s Allan Freed on the narrative. 

You're a complicated soul, or "cat" as the gals might say (if they weren't retired and in assisted living in Boca). 

Otherwise, I agree with your general premise. 

5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I love you, Tibs, but you're still pushing a Trump/Russia conspiracy which has been debunked by three separate investigations -- including Mueller's. 

So... you are, and have been for three years. 

pfft your kidding right? it actually doesn't even start until July 17th, the true independence day...

Hopefully, Barr wont be sitting next to Mueller intimidating him by staring at him and breathing hot

air down his neck...

• Haha (+1) 1

Job creation has another rough month in June as private payrolls rise by just 102,000

* Private payrolls rose 102,000 in June, missing Wall Street expectations of 135,000, according to a report Wednesday from ADP and Moody’s Analytics.
* The number sets the stage for another possible disappointment from Friday’s nonfarm payrolls report, which is expected to show growth of 165,000 after May’s lackluster 75,000.
* Small businesses lost 23,000 for the month as construction and mining suffered drops.

</snip>

Small companies take a hit

Indeed, companies with fewer than 50,000 employees saw another setback in June, with payrolls falling by 23,000 after a decline of 52,000 the previous month. Businesses with fewer than 20 employees were particularly hard-hit, subtracting 37,000 jobs.

On the upside, job creation was fairly strong among bigger businesses. Companies with 50 to 499 employees posted growth of 60,000, while large businesses added 65,000.

At the industry level, goods producers on net lost 15,000 jobs. Construction fell by 18,000 while natural resources and mining lost 4,000. Manufacturing added 7,000.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

US weekly jobless claims fall more than expected

* The number of Americans filing applications for unemployment benefits fell more than expected last week.
* The data pointed to sustained labor market strength that should help support a slowing economy.
* Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped to 221,000 for the week ended June 29, the Labor Department said.

This is what I want to highlight so when the usual suspects start screeching "RECESSION!!" it will probably be due to seasonal volatility:

</snip>

Claims data could become volatile in the coming weeks as auto manufacturers temporarily shut down assembly plants for summer retooling. Companies implement the plant closures at different times, which can throw off the model the government uses to remove seasonal fluctuations from the data.

</snip>

Job creation looks to have had another rough month in June, with private companies adding just 102,000 new positions, according to a report Wednesday from ADP and Moody’s Analytics.

That missed even the meager 135,000 estimate from economists surveyed by Dow Jones and comes off the weak May growth of just 41,000. The May number was revised up from an initially reported 27,000.

The disappointment sets the stage for another possible letdown from the more widely watched nonfarm payrolls report from the Labor Department, which will be released Friday and is expected to show growth of 165,000 after May’s lackluster 75,000.

“The economy’s growth rate is significantly slowing, and I think the risks are rising that it’s going to stall out,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, told CNBC. “I think the economy is on the razor’s edge, and this number is consistent with that view.”

Economic data overall has been wobbly lately as economists see growth slowing in 2019 and a possible recession ahead in 2020.

“The job market continues to throttle back,” Zandi said in a statement. “Job growth has slowed sharply in recent months, as businesses have turned more cautious in their hiring. Small businesses are the most nervous, especially in the construction sector and at bricks-and-mortar retailers.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/adpmoodys-private-payrolls-rise-102000-in-june-vs-135000-est.html

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, keep hoping any praying that the economy tanks. A bad economy could potentially save the left from actually having to come up with a rational platform.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm trying to buff out a resume for an economic journalism editor position at CNBC, can someone critique the following?

Job creation in a desperate and desolate American economy looks to have had another rough month in June, with private companies adding just an inadequate 102,000 new positions, according to a report Wednesday from ADP and Moody’s Analytics.

That missed even the meager and pathetic 135,000 estimate from economists surveyed by Dow Jones and comes off the abysmally weak May growth of just 41,000. The May number was revised up from an initially reported comically low figure 27,000 thanks to the Trump administration.

The bitter disappointment sets the stage for another possible devastating letdown from the more widely watched nonfarm payrolls report from the Labor Department, which will be released Friday and is expected to show minimal growth of 165,000 after May’s Trump-influenced miniscule figure of 75,000.

“The economy’s growth rate is significantly slowing, and I think the risks are rising that it’s going to stall out,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, told CNBC. “I think the economy is on the razor’s edge, and this number is consistent with that view.”

Economic data overall has been just as awful as the Trump administration's performance on the Southern border lately as economists see growth slowing in 2019 and a possible Greater Depression ahead in 2020.

“The job market continues to throttle back,” Zandi said in a statement. “Job growth has slowed sharply in recent months, as businesses have turned more cautious in their hiring. Small businesses are the most nervous, especially in the construction sector and at bricks-and-mortar retailers.”

Americans who are considering re-electing Trump in the face of such traumatic economic data are a clear threat to global economic performance and should be identified in order to have their assets seized to subsidize legitimate businesses such as renewable energy and free healthcare. And f*** Trump.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I'm trying to buff out a resume for an economic journalism editor position at CNBC, can someone critique the following?

Am I wrong in thinking that CNBC is actually a pretty fair outlet, unlike the rest of the NBC umbrella?