The Trump Economy

GG

On 5/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the EPA is too powerful and eliminating whole industries based on feelz and kick-backs should not be allowed. On the other hand, elections have consequences and I am not certain that future administrations should have a difficult time implementing their agenda. That is a slippery slope that can lead to nowhere good. 

Certainly if an Admin is swept in for serious crisis management (see FDR, RWR)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Stanley Black & Decker (NYSE: SWK) today announced it will expand its U.S. manufacturing footprint with a new CRAFTSMAN manufacturing plant in Fort Worth, TX. The groundbreaking for the 425,000-square-foot facility will take place in summer 2019, and the plant is expected to be completed in late 2020.

The new plant in Fort Worth will manufacture a wide range of CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets. The plant will also leverage some of the most advanced manufacturing technologies available to optimize productivity and sustainability, including pre-flattening steel technologies to improve material yield by almost 25 percent, as well as water and energy management technologies to reduce resource consumption. The Fort Worth plant will employ approximately 500 full-time employees to support the facility.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This would be huge if more companies made the decision  to move manufacturing back to the US. They’d have to figure a way to make factory work a prideful job again however.  That won’t be easy to do. Maybe bring back pensions?  

They do not want to give President Trump this "win", even at the expense of average Americans. what am I saying? I swear the Democrats live to hurt average Americans! If they don't, why not ratify and allow more American jobs? 

Delaying approval of new trade deal hurts American workers, families and the economy

The U.S. will be losing out on more jobs, more customers for Made-in-America goods and a stronger economy unless the U.S. House of Representatives takes up the updated trade agreement with Mexico and Canada.

Last fall the three countries came together to modernize the North American Free Trade Agreement, bringing this successful trading partnership into the 21st century. USMCA will provide substantial benefits to U.S. workers, families and Main Street businesses.

</snip>

Delay of approval in Congress hurts U.S. jobs. Without the agreement America will miss out on adding 176,000 new jobs and over $68 billion in new economic growth according to the U.S. International Trade Commission. 

Delay hurts America’s auto workers. Based on concrete business plans provided by the auto industry, USMCA will add $34 billion in new manufacturing investment in the U.S. and 76,000 American jobs over five years. If Congress delays or kills USMCA, these new investments and jobs could be delayed indefinitely.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

This would be huge if more companies made the decision  to move manufacturing back to the US. They’d have to figure a way to make factory work a prideful job again however.  That won’t be easy to do. Maybe bring back pensions?  

i think a decent hourly wage would be most welcome for people once again.

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Good wages and working conditions and back off of ridiculous union work rules. Do what's necessary to create a true partnership between management and labor. Create the conditions that will give the labor force a sense of pride in what they do.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Link

Stanley Black & Decker (NYSE: SWK) today announced it will expand its U.S. manufacturing footprint with a new CRAFTSMAN manufacturing plant in Fort Worth, TX. The groundbreaking for the 425,000-square-foot facility will take place in summer 2019, and the plant is expected to be completed in late 2020.

The new plant in Fort Worth will manufacture a wide range of CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets. The plant will also leverage some of the most advanced manufacturing technologies available to optimize productivity and sustainability, including pre-flattening steel technologies to improve material yield by almost 25 percent, as well as water and energy management technologies to reduce resource consumption. The Fort Worth plant will employ approximately 500 full-time employees to support the facility.

</snip>

Loved craftsman tools before they offshored production. Since then, it’s basically the same as Harbor Freight.

Hopefully this also marks a return to their previous brand strengths.

Edited by Kevbeau
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Good wages and working conditions and back off of ridiculous union work rules. Do what's necessary to create a true partnership between management and labor. Create the conditions that will give the labor force a sense of pride in what they do.

And keep college degrees too ***** expensive.  But seriously pushing the trades.  Letting people know that you don't need a degree to have a successful career.  That you can make a decent income without putting yourself in a huge debt hole. We have so many people coming out of college with 10's of not 100's of thousands of load debt with a useless degree. 

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And keep college degrees too ***** expensive.  But seriously pushing the trades.  Letting people know that you don't need a degree to have a successful career.  That you can make a decent income without putting yourself in a huge debt hole. We have so many people coming out of college with 10's of not 100's of thousands of load debt with a useless degree. 

those folk were never fit for a trade

18 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

wait, you mean Social Justice Warrior isn't a viable trade?

I don't know, I think there are more than a handful on this forum alone making at least minimum wage at it. <_< Maybe for supplemental income?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:12 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I've seen people on Twitter begging for an economic collapse because #OrangeManBad  O.o  There are some crazy people out there, and their crazy voices seem louder simply because people react and engage. It happens here daily, now imagine it on Twitter-scale. 

Same thing happened at the end of W’s last term. They CHEERED economic bad news. 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I am so sorry folks for my "issues" , but I like it in this cesspool, so ya just have to deal with it!

@Buffalo_Gal, I was just bustin on  @LABillzFan

Testing, testing, test. This is only a test. Quoting you from an iPhone (thumb typing). 

On 5/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, row_33 said:

image.png.801ac6af0533676c161d408f0c3c1d8a.png

Bluenose

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh please. Jack up the matching 401k contribution quite a bit, but hell no to pensions. 

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

wait, you mean Social Justice Warrior isn't a viable trade?

It is, but you must first have a advanced degrees in women's studies and comparative diversity.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

those folk were never fit for a trade

I have two chuckleheads that work for me that went to GA Tech that don’t know how to change a tire. Got stranded at a Braves game for 2 hrs waiting for AAA. My boss had to gently remind me that HR is listening even though he laughed when I told them their fathers had failed them.

edit: they’re actually pretty good at their jobs, but c’mon

Edited by Kevbeau

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Same thing happened at the end of W’s last term. They CHEERED economic bad news. 

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/06/11/bill-maher-i-hope-theres-another-recession-so-we-can-get-rid-of-trump-n2489092

Bill Maher said Friday that he is "hoping" for the bottom to fall out of the economy and for the country to enter a recession so we can "get rid of Trump." He said one way to do that is a "crashing economy." Maher said he is "sorry" if it hurts people, but rooting for a recession is a prevention measure to losing democracy.

"Can I ask about the economy because this economy is going pretty well? I feel like the bottom has to fall out at some point. And by the way, I'm hoping for it. Because I think one way you get rid of Trump is a crashing economy. So, please, bring on the recession. Sorry if that hurts people, but it's either root for a recession or you lose your democracy," Maher said on the Friday broadcast of his HBO show Real Time.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Gender studies, buddy, not just women studies. You sir, are apparently not #woke. 

transgender studies.  i find your cis-neanderthal barbaric notions of binary gender to be on the level of super mecha literal uber hitler orangemanbad unwokeness

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

No, they didn't.  They demonized Republicans for it.  "Main Street, not Wall Street."  Hell, Pelosi almost destroyed the capital markets by being too petty to share credit with House Republicans for the bailout bill.

They cheered economic bad news during Obama's administration.  Such as when they celebrated increasing unemployment, SNAP, and welfare filings as economic success because it proved such programs work.  :wacko:

35 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, they didn't.  They demonized Republicans for it.  "Main Street, not Wall Street."  Hell, Pelosi almost destroyed the capital markets by being too petty to share credit with House Republicans for the bailout bill.

They cheered economic bad news during Obama's administration.  Such as when they celebrated increasing unemployment, SNAP, and welfare filings as economic success because it proved such programs work.  :wacko:

If this continues, Trump will not only be impeached, but he just might get convicted! A recession would be the end. The business cycle is the only thing keeping the dead man walking 

U.S. markets extended their month-long retreat Wednesday as investors accelerated their flight from equities for the relative safety of bonds, reflecting concerns that the U.S.-China trade scuffle has settled into trench warfare.

The Dow Jones industrial average, which hit a three-month low after the opening bell, is headed for its sixth-consecutive week of losses. It fell 400 points, or 1.5 percent, on Wednesday, dragged down by Johnson & Johnson, Nike, Boeing and Chevron. Only three of the 30 blue chips were positive: Dow Chemical, Intel and Procter & Gamble.

The Standard & Poor’s 500 index dropped 30 points, or 1 percent. All 11 sectors fell into the red.

Both the Dow and the S&P 500 are down about 5.5 percent for May.

The technology-laden Nasdaq Composite fell 85 points, about 1.1 percent.

Asian markets closed mostly down, with the tech-heavy Shanghai Composite up 0.16 percent. Japan’s Nikkei slid 1.2 percent, and the Hong Kong Hang Seng tumbled 0.57 percent. Europe is more vulnerable than the United States to global economic pressures, and it showed, with all red arrows. France’s CAC 40 led the slide at a 1.83 percent drop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/29/investors-seek-safety-bonds-alarming-us-markets-that-recession-may-be-offing/?utm_term=.eb838e08cea6