The Trump Economy

GG

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Why not purchase them from farmers and sell them to poor countries at a profit?  Can't they do anything right?

Transportation  expenses....

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

All sales transactions have expenses. 

Saving overseas shipping costs is huge

the oil embargo of the 70s eternally ruined the lifestyle used to cheap and plentiful fuel

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the oil embargo of the 70s eternally ruined the lifestyle used to cheap and plentiful fuel

energy in 5 years will be extremely cheap and plentiful, maybe not oil based fuel, but energy will be cheap as well

it's nice people in the US think that you can grow corn in Iowa and it magically goes to the starving person in Ethiopia

bim bam boom fuggetaboudit

for no cost at all

:D

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

What’s this oil you speak of?  Ships will be using this amazing innovative power source in the near future thanks to AOC and her New Green Deal.   I hear they’ll use wind!  Isn’t that an awesome concept??

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What’s this oil you speak of?  Ships will be using this amazing innovative power source in the near future thanks to AOC and her New Green Deal.   I hear they’ll use wind!  Isn’t that an awesome concept??

Hundreds of paddles on cruise ship ? 

everyone grab a paddle, let’s get this ship moving. 

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

i will embrace this world where there are no cars or planes or ships or trains to move people or product

then i will wake up

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Our new Navy:

See the source image

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

This guy is really interesting..linear thinking vs exponential thinkging.

The whole talk is interesting, but if you want to focus on solar vs fossil fuels..timelines etc. Moores law etc skip to about 17-minute mark. Really thought-provoking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

i read these posts the other day and it got me to thinking... if the economy is as strong as it is, right now... what is it going to be like when we begin to see companies return home and set up their operations in their (our) homeland? the benefits i can think of off the top of my head are enormous. higher wages, a return to immigration where you need to have skills that is going to benefit this country (as is currently being proposed),  a brain infusion, a strong(er) robust economy.

to my way of thinking, you couldn't ask for a better scenario.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127965567359574016

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127965569821626368

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127681373966409730

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

I have a relative who had her SS# used by an illegal many moons ago. It was a PITA, but since she was an IRS agent (seriously) and things went better for her and not the illegal. I am not certain why these letters should be a "concern". Either it is the person's SS# or it is not. If no, deport 'em. If so, "sorry to be a bother". I'd certainly want to know if someone was stealing my identity. 

Social Security No-Match Letters Causing Concern

The Social Security Administration has revived an old practice of notifying employers of mismatches between information on tax forms and the agency’s records.

Starting in March, the SSA began sending employer correction request notices, also known as “no-match letters,” to employers with at least one employee whose name and Social Security number combination on a filed W-2 doesn’t match SSA records. The letters instruct employers to register for the agency’s Business Services Online and correct the mismatch within 60 days.

Some 575,000 employers already have received letters.

</snip>

Big Companies Tightened Spending as Trade Fears Intensified

Slower business spending could hamper economic growth later in 2019 and in 2020

By 
Amrith Ramkumar and 
Theo Francis
Updated May 19, 2019 7:51 p.m. ET
  •  
  •  
    TEXT

Spending on factories, equipment and other capital goods slowed in the first quarter among a broad cross-section of large, U.S.-listed firms, bolstering investor concerns that a key driver of economic growth is fading.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-companies-tightened-spending-as-trade-fears-intensified-11558258201?mod=hp_lead_pos1

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the EPA is too powerful and eliminating whole industries based on feelz and kick-backs should not be allowed. On the other hand, elections have consequences and I am not certain that future administrations should have a difficult time implementing their agenda. That is a slippery slope that can lead to nowhere good. 

This should lead to a few new jobs though:

(thread) 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the EPA is too powerful and eliminating whole industries based on feelz and kick-backs should not be allowed. On the other hand, elections have consequences and I am not certain that future administrations should have a difficult time implementing their agenda. That is a slippery slope that can lead to nowhere good. 

This should lead to a few new jobs though:

(thread) 

Maybe I read this wrong, but the gist seems to be that they don't know what the new rules/formulas are, but it's going to be bad...

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I disagree.  It should be hard for administrations to implement their agenda, because they should have to go through Congress.  

Anything that reduces regulatory power of the executive and the power of the true deep state (the federal bureaucracy - not the conspiratorial "Deep State" of the other thread), and requires legislation to issue from Congress as it should, is not a bad thing.  Elections have consequences, but legislative elections should have legislative consequences, not executive elections.

• Like (+1) 3