The Trump Economy

GG

AMT was always a hoot during tax season, for Canada.

A few times it prevented a client from dumping a large amount into his/her registered retirement savings plan, or tax planning on large Christmas bonuses.

One time a student told the client he was getting a $65,000 refund, then I asked if the AMT had been considered and turned out the client owed $12,000.  The student asked what he should do and I said tell the client before he comes in. The student went home immediately and didn't tell the client.  Must have been a fun meeting with the partner to sign the return.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is bunk...where did you get this image?

It actually isn't.  

All you have to do is cherry-pick the time scale to make your pre-conceived point.  But the data is actually accurate.  I duplicated the same in yahoo finance - which link didn't work here, sorry.

Edited by DC Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It actually isn't.  

All you have to do is cherry-pick the time scale to make your pre-conceived point.  But the data is actually accurate.  I duplicated the same in yahoo finance - which link didn't work here, sorry.

That is more accurately what I meant...the info is bunk as the so far, the market performance under Trump in his first two years lags market performance under Obama first two years

56 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

AMT has been changed greatly and in a good way recently. Thanks to Trump. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcarlson/2018/09/29/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-alternative-minimum-tax/amp/

FTA

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), enacted in December 2017, substantially changed the AMT. About 5 million taxpayers were expected to pay the AMT under the old law, but only 200,000 are expected to pay the AMT this year. So few taxpayers will owe the AMT that the IRS says it will remove its online AMT Assistant tax tool.

I read up on the changes and they are positive, but I haven’t filed yet, so I’m reserving the right to be pissed.

Now Trump admin is weighing introducing changes in the healthcare industry that could shake up the entire sector.  This is what happens when people look to solve real problems instead of cheap sound bites.  

From WSJ 

The Trump administration is sounding out the medical industry on requiring hospitals and other health care providers to publicly disclose the secretly negotiated prices they charge insurance companies for services, a move that would expose for the first time the actual cost of care.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That is more accurately what I meant...the info is bunk as the so far, the market performance under Trump in his first two years lags market performance under Obama first two years

yes, going from 2 potatoes to 4 potatoes is a much better increase in performance than going from 2,000,000 potatoes to 2,100,000 potatoes

you have to have total TDS to deny the positive effects of the Trump Election, compared to Obama's sleepwalking

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yes, but they're not comparable.  The market was artificially depressed when Obama took office by the near-collapse of the world economy - it was going to bounce no matter who was in office.  It's probably more reasonable to measure the market rally not from the low just after Obama took office, but from the 11,000 point a few months later (that 4000 point difference representing the late-2008 panic selling and not any economic measures Obama took).

And whatever you might say about the economy when Trump took office, it definitely wasn't the near-catastrophic "end of capitalism as we know it" that Obama took office in.  A simple direct comparison isn't valid.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that is also not an equal comparison. how much TARP money was injected again?

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yes, going from 2 potatoes to 4 potatoes is a much better increase in performance than going from 2,000,000 potatoes to 2,100,000 potatoes

you have to have total TDS to deny the positive effects of the Trump Election, compared to Obama's sleepwalking

Damn right going from 2 to 4 is much better when I have options on percentage growth in potato’,,, you know, like the market is. 

51 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You know this is disingenuous so why would you post it knowing that it can be easily disputed? Have some respect for your fellow posters.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Do you think you're the only one here that could successfully dispute that?

No.  I think I'm the only one that 1) could, and 2) would bother.  

GG only satisfies #1, for example.  You only satisfy #2.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No.  I think I'm the only one that 1) could, and 2) would bother.  

GG only satisfies #1, for example.  You only satisfy #2.

You complete us. Now go diddle Miss Piggy.

Edited by 3rdnlng

U.S. job growth slows dramatically in February to 20,000, raising possibility of a broader cool-down in the economy

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-adds-meager-20000-jobs-in-february-to-mark-smallest-increase-in-17-months-2019-03-08

The numbers: American businesses and other employers created the fewest new jobs in February in 17 months, the latest sign of a broader slowdown in the U.S. economy.

The economy added just 20,000 new jobs last month, the smallest gain since September 2017, the government said Friday.

The number of new nonfarm jobs created last month was well below the 172,000 MarketWatch forecast, 

This is bad 

23 hours ago, TPS said:

Again, with the exception of the first 2 years of the crisis, Obama's fiscal policy was contractionary in the 4 years after 2010." I discussed his stimulus and how small it actually was in terms of spending, Most of it went to tax credits and revenue sharing. It would be great if you could provide the numbers to support your contention that there was "a massive step up in spending, which was never reversed in Obama's terms."  Since I provided some numbers that show federal spending fell 4 straight years after 2010, I'd really like to see what you're trying to show here...

Crediting Obama with fiscal conservatism is like Housley praising the Sabres for scoring 2 goals in the 3rd period after they gave up 6 in the 2nd.